British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   australian working holiday visa - Police caution (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/australian-working-holiday-visa-police-caution-689278/)

rossobianchi Oct 12th 2010 5:18 pm

australian working holiday visa - Police caution

Hi there

My girlfriend received a police caution for possession of class B drugs 5 years ago on her application for a working holiday visa she has mentioned this and now has to explain the incident.

Do you think she will have any problems getting a visa granted ? as this has been here only offense and was not convicted of anything

Thanks for any help

mr luvpants Oct 12th 2010 8:14 pm

Re: australian working holiday visa - Police caution

Originally Posted by rossobianchi (Post 8913658)
Hi there

My girlfriend received a police caution for possession of class B drugs 5 years ago on her application for a working holiday visa she has mentioned this and now has to explain the incident.

Do you think she will have any problems getting a visa granted ? as this has been here only offense and was not convicted of anything

Thanks for any help

First of all they have not said a straight "no" so you must be in with a with a chance.

You should be aware that a caution is you admitting to a minor offence and saves you going to court.

However, explain to them that that was 5 years ago, she is a different person now and would not do that again,she was never charged in a court of law for the offence and has learnt the error of your ways.

JOHN

Bermudashorts Oct 12th 2010 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by rossobianchi (Post 8913658)
Hi there

Thanks for any help

I can't see it being a show stopper at all. But good advice there from Mr Luvpants, I would recommend you explain the background in that manner, i.e. that she is very sorry and has learned from the mistake, rather than try to trivialise "it was just a caution" etc.

rossobianchi Oct 12th 2010 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8913988)
I can't see it being a show stopper at all. But good advice there from Mr Luvpants, I would recommend you explain the background in that manner, i.e. that she is very sorry and has learned from the mistake, rather than try to trivialise "it was just a caution" etc.

Thanks for the advise guys I really appreciate it!

Is there anything she should say to aid her case ?

They haven't requested a character reference yet do you think she should suggest that she could provide a reference if needs be ?

Cheers again

mr luvpants Oct 13th 2010 9:40 am

Originally Posted by rossobianchi (Post 8914048)
Thanks for the advise guys I really appreciate it!

Is there anything she should say to aid her case ?

They haven't requested a character reference yet do you think she should suggest that she could provide a reference if needs be ?

Cheers again

I would bet your boots that they will ask for one so why don't you pre-empt them and get one or two references from "reputable" people who have known her for at least 2 years.

rossobianchi Oct 14th 2010 4:47 pm

Ive just been granted my visa, hopefully she'll get hers now :fingerscrossed:

rossobianchi Nov 5th 2010 9:46 am

Originally Posted by rossobianchi (Post 8918545)
Ive just been granted my visa, hopefully she'll get hers now :fingerscrossed:

Her visa finally came through thanks for all your replies

morganlight Jan 30th 2011 9:33 pm

I'm in a very similar situation except my caution is more recent.

How much hassle was it to get the visa?

What did they ask you to provide etc?