Australian Working Holiday Visa

Old May 23rd 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Neronero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Working Holiday Visa

Can this visa be used in any way to help to emigrate to Australia? Im sure i read something about working in Australia for a year gets you extra points.

Also if can i get this visa if i don't plan to work there? What about if i did my own work (not working for an australian employer).

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:20 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Working Holiday Visa

Originally Posted by Neronero
Can this visa be used in any way to help to emigrate to Australia? Im sure i read something about working in Australia for a year gets you extra points.

Also if can i get this visa if i don't plan to work there? What about if i did my own work (not working for an australian employer).

Thanks
Some people have used the WHV to find sponsors, but it's not usually that easy unless you have very useful skills that are wanted in Australia. If you have that level of skill, then you may as well go for regular general skilled migration. Based on your previous posts though, you say that you don't have a skill on the SOL - that is likely to be a problem. You're less likely to find a sponsor if you're unskilled, as it's meant to cover a shortage that can't be filled by locals. There are plenty of local people that could take unskilled positions.

There's nothing to stop you from having a WHV (if you're eligible) & just using it as a tourist visa without working. Bear in mind though that if you don't do the three months' specified work in regional Australia, then you wouldn't be eligible for a second WHV. You'd also need to be able to show that you have enough funds to support yourself (or to get a return flight).

It says that you can do any kind of work (but only up to six months with each employer). I think you should enquire to see if you would be able to work for yourself. Personally, I'm a little dubious, as there are specific visas for business holders. I don't think you can (or should be able to) get around those rules using a WHV.
Old May 23rd 2012, 1:25 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
It may help getting to meet and work with Australian business, and hopefully find someone willing to process sponsorship for you. Its main purpose is holiday with an ability to supplement your income by working, so employers might (and many do) avoid hiring WHV'ers into perm positions, or into something that requires training, to minimize their expenses. That means that many holiday makers get employed into unskilled jobs, although it must be said that some were able to get hired into highly skilled positions and got sponsored for a more substantial visa than a WHV.

Points - I would not count on this visa being a source of points. It is true that Australian work experience is worth more in the points test, but it is temporary with unclear employment prospects, so banking on it is a risky approach.

Your last point - you don't *have* to work, if you are just taking a holiday and can support your living there - be aware that you may be asked questions to that end upon arrival.

Regarding working for yourself being there, not sure how that would work from tax prospective, esp. if you get Australian customers. It also defeats the purpose of meeting people who could potentially process a sponsored visa.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies. So lets say i wanted to do 3 months worth of work to be able to get a second year. Who would employ me? Is there special websites that list jobs that WHV people can apply for? Right at this moment i can't see why anyone would hire a WHV person instead of a local so it'd be great to find out more on this.

Is there any restrictions eg. must work x amount of hours for 3 months? Does it have to be paid work or can it be free.

How would i go about meeting people to process a sponsored visa, surly someone will only sponsor you if they already know you can do the job for them as otherwise its a cost to the business that they could lose out on.

Sorry for so many questions and whilst google is out there looking around so far gets a huge range of responses, many that are old or conflict.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:40 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. So lets say i wanted to do 3 months worth of work to be able to get a second year. Who would employ me? Is there special websites that list jobs that WHV people can apply for? Right at this moment i can't see why anyone would hire a WHV person instead of a local so it'd be great to find out more on this.

Is there any restrictions eg. must work x amount of hours for 3 months? Does it have to be paid work or can it be free.

How would i go about meeting people to process a sponsored visa, surly someone will only sponsor you if they already know you can do the job for them as otherwise its a cost to the business that they could lose out on.

Sorry for so many questions and whilst google is out there looking around so far gets a huge range of responses, many that are old or conflict.
no special website AFAIK, you apply for whatever jobs you feel like, because you do not require sponsorship. Your limitations are 1 year total, 6 months with the same employer maximum. The possibility to extend it into a second year works if you do 3 months "designated work" which is listed on DIAC website. Again, there is no special site to list those, you will have to apply only for those that are recognised by DIAC and then include your proof to the 2nd WHV and if it is acceptable, you will be granted the visa, if not, well you know.

Unpaid work is not work, sorry. For visa purposes anyway. I appreciate what volunteers do, but DIAC does not recognise that.

If you meet people for interviews, you may inquire if they are sponsoring people for your position in general, and if you have a chance to convert your WHV into something more solid.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:08 am
Cez
Account Closed

Cez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newjersey
no special website AFAIK, you apply for whatever jobs you feel like, because you do not require sponsorship. Your limitations are 1 year total, 6 months with the same employer maximum. The possibility to extend it into a second year works if you do 3 months "designated work" which is listed on DIAC website. Again, there is no special site to list those, you will have to apply only for those that are recognised by DIAC and then include your proof to the 2nd WHV and if it is acceptable, you will be granted the visa, if not, well you know.

Unpaid work is not work, sorry. For visa purposes anyway. I appreciate what volunteers do, but DIAC does not recognise that.

If you meet people for interviews, you may inquire if they are sponsoring people for your position in general, and if you have a chance to convert your WHV into something more solid.
This is incorrect - you can, for example, volunteer via WWOOFing (willing workers on organic farms - see http://www.wwoof.com.au/ for details, for three months and this will qualify you for your 2nd WHV. My best friend was unable to find enough paid farm work, so topped up her three months with some WWOOFing.
Old May 24th 2012, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

If as someone else said, you don't have a skilled job then forget the sponsorship idea. It still has to be a skilled job for the 457 visa, it is just that the list of jobs is longer. An employer can't just sponsor you because they want you (hubbies employer would have done that 3 years ago if they could).

So do you have a skilled job? Any formal training?
Old May 24th 2012, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Cez
This is incorrect - you can, for example, volunteer via WWOOFing (willing workers on organic farms - see http://www.wwoof.com.au/ for details, for three months and this will qualify you for your 2nd WHV. My best friend was unable to find enough paid farm work, so topped up her three months with some WWOOFing.
This is correct, Wwoofing can count toward your 2nd WHV providing that the work undertaken is 'specified work' and you work for the minimum number of hours. Recent changes mean that wwoofers wishing to apply for their 2nd whv must work between 7-8 hours per day (35-40 per week) as opposed to wwoofers who are NOT using the work toward a visa who are required only to work 4-6 hours per day.

For more info http://www.wwoof.com.au/overseas.html
Old May 24th 2012, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
If as someone else said, you don't have a skilled job then forget the sponsorship idea. It still has to be a skilled job for the 457 visa, it is just that the list of jobs is longer. An employer can't just sponsor you because they want you (hubbies employer would have done that 3 years ago if they could).

So do you have a skilled job? Any formal training?
It depends by skilled job. If you are talking about the SOL then no, but i've got 10 years experience in the video games industry as a designer. Of course i don't know if that is enough because whilst its highly valued in my industry and the skills are transferable there is no qualification attached. I guess this is what i need to find out, but it all seems so vague as to what is 'skilled' because theres different lists, different changes etc.

So it seems Wwoofing is an option if i was to do 40 hours a week or to look at the DIAC list and try and find a job that matches. I still can't see why someone would employ you when they know they will lose you after 6 months at most. So what are the tips and tricks to get employment this way or is it just luck?
Old May 24th 2012, 11:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends by skilled job. If you are talking about the SOL then no, but i've got 10 years experience in the video games industry as a designer. Of course i don't know if that is enough because whilst its highly valued in my industry and the skills are transferable there is no qualification attached. I guess this is what i need to find out, but it all seems so vague as to what is 'skilled' because theres different lists, different changes etc.

So it seems Wwoofing is an option if i was to do 40 hours a week or to look at the DIAC list and try and find a job that matches. I still can't see why someone would employ you when they know they will lose you after 6 months at most. So what are the tips and tricks to get employment this way or is it just luck?
In order to be sponsored for a visa you need to have a skill on the ENSOL or 457 list of eligible occupations.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Okay well it seems a couple of skills on the 457 list match what i do.
So if i understand it right a 457 visa is a temporary business visa for working in aus for up to 4 years. So its different to the working holiday visa, is that correct? Or do i need a skilled job on the 457 list for a working holiday visa?

So to skip them questions till someone kindly posts the answers lets say i can find a temporary job that matches a skill on that list. What are the restrictions? Do you have to work so many hours a week? I assume you need at least 3 months continuous employment?

I see people can claim permant residency whilst on a 457 visa, how is that possible?

This is like a spiders web as i learn something it then gives me 4 more options to choose.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cez

i feel I must be more specific - DIAC does not recognise volunteering in the context of any skilled visa, and some assessment authorities will not recongnise this either - take ACS, for example, where the skills of the OP may find their way. Also, DIAC included many other occupations under "specified work" definition, it is not limited to farm work anymore.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:12 pm

Okay well it seems a couple of skills on the 457 list match what i do.
So if i understand it right a 457 visa is a temporary business visa for working in aus for up to 4 years. So its different to the working holiday visa, is that correct? Or do i need a skilled job on the 457 list for a working holiday visa?

So to skip them questions till someone kindly posts the answers lets say i can find a temporary job that matches a skill on that list. What are the restrictions? Do you have to work so many hours a week? I assume you need at least 3 months continuous employment?

I see people can claim permant residency whilst on a 457 visa, how is that possible?

This is like a spiders web as i learn something it then gives me 4 more options to choose.
temp work on WHV - 6 months limit. Temp work on a 457 (following a due process) - according to the contract in place, IIRC up to 4 years. Recently some asked why they were granted a 1 year 457 when they had a 6 months rolling contract, but I think it is pretty much self explanatory. Once 457 expires, you may have to leave if you have not figured a more permanent option by then.

457 sponsorship also means you are locked in to your sponsor (simply put you cant work for anyone else, not sure if you can operate as a sole trader in this arrangement, possibly not, but do ask around if it is important) and if it goes pear shaped you will have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

You can not "claim" permanent residency from any of these visas, you basically make a separate application in the skilled independent/state sponsored stream, or your then-employer sponsors you for one (aka Employer-nomination scheme). First you can do any time if/when you are eligible, the second requires your employer to process sponsorship specifically for you (and they are under no obligation to do so), after which you can lodge a visa application.

Another PR option, if you are single, is to marry an Aussie citizen. No skills assessment there but it is a chock full of its own nuts, not the time to get into it.

Last edited by newjersey; May 24th 2012 at 3:15 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense. Now im sure i read that an employer outside of AUS can sponsor an employee for a 457 visa. So technically a UK employer with no AUS operations can get a 457 visa for an employee. Am i reading that correctly?
Old May 24th 2012, 3:52 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that all makes a lot of sense. Now im sure i read that an employer outside of AUS can sponsor an employee for a 457 visa. So technically a UK employer with no AUS operations can get a 457 visa for an employee. Am i reading that correctly?
It's not as easy as that. Not all employers are eligible to sponsor. Whilst overseas employers with no base of operations in Australia can apply to sponsor employees, I doubt it's all that easy.

Have a look at the information on employer eligibility for the 457s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.