Australian visa for nurses

Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

melanieanne63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian visa for nurses

Hi Guys
Please help.... what is the process for a nurse applying for a visa to work permanently, the visas have changed also since I last looked and I can't make head nor tail of them.... any help would be appreciated.
melanie
Old Jun 29th 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian visa for nurses

For a permanent skilled migrant visa, the process in a nutshell would be:

- check you pass the points test and other basic criteria
- take and pass academic IELTS
- apply for positive skills assessment
- apply for state sponsorhsip if you need to (for points) or would like to (for speedier processing)
- apply for visa
- wait for a case officer to be assigned and go for medicals and police checks when requested

The visa process does look very daunting at first, I was completely baffled. But if you break it down into a few stages as above it is not so bad.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

thank you for that, what is the positive skills assessment and I must need to apply for nurse registration. ideally I would be interested in the subclass 121 visa ENS? do employers sponsor nurses under this or do they just prefer temporary visa sponsorship? sorry for all the questions, I am really baffled lol x
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melanieanne63
thank you for that, what is the positive skills assessment and I must need to apply for nurse registration. ideally I would be interested in the subclass 121 visa ENS? do employers sponsor nurses under this or do they just prefer temporary visa sponsorship? sorry for all the questions, I am really baffled lol x
Everyone that applies for a skilled migrant visa has to apply for a skills assessment. I don't know what else to say, there is a body for each occupation that checks qualifications / experience etc.

I am not a nurse, you would have to look into what is required for your occupation try googling "nurse skills assessment" or use the search function.

If you found an employer and applied for an ENS visa you would need a skills assessment for this also. So perhaps get that out of the way, take it step by step.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

many thanks.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 2:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Also check out the Nursing Forum. Worldwide but stacks of Aus help on there.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 4:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people are interested in a 121 ENS visa. However, the reality is that most health services sponsor for 457s. If you are a nurse, you should have enough points to apply for a 175 or 176 visa on your own.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of nurses on here find that hospitals will sponsor for a 457 at first then after a few months when you've kind-of proved yourself then they will sponsor for PR on an 856 (the onshore equivalent of a 121)
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

nurseval is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys
Please help.... what is the process for a nurse applying for a visa to work permanently, the visas have changed also since I last looked and I can't make head nor tail of them.... any help would be appreciated.
melanie
I am not sure if you have had your answers fulfilled.. but here is a document that I have literaltey just filled in and sent off, it is very long winded but do make sure you send everything otherwise they will not process it until all documents have been sent..

HCL HCA Australia Nursing Booklet 020611 A5.pdf this is from an angency I am with

Do make sure you have headed original letters from your current employers and previous employers of the last 5years; you can obtain this from HR.

Make sure you attach you CV in the presentation they want..

If you have proof that you did your exams in english secondary school make sure you send them off.

But before you send anything off make sure you have a Notary (solicitor) to authenticate all your documents, certificates, passport, etc..
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

nurse val, thank you so much, really helpful. melanie
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

firstly you need to decide wether you want to be sponsored by a hospital. If you do you will be required to work full time and you will be tied inmto a contract for 2/3 years. If you want more freedom and not be tied to an employer then it is best to go for an independednt skilled visa (175/176)

If you go for the 175/176 you need to follow the steps as outlined earlier on in the thread.

If you decide to go down the sponsorship route then you need to find a hospital willing to sponsor you. Some will offer jobs before you have your registration but most like you to have this before they will look at sponsoring you. MOst hospitals prefer to bring nurses out on temp visas but some will sponsor for PR from the start. I have been lucky in gaining sponsorship with a hospital who will sponsor me for a permanenet visa (RSMS 119)

If you are going for employer sponsored then you will need to get your registration with AHPRA sorted first and you won't ned a skills assessment

Hope this helps, good luck x
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

I looked into the skilled visa and was told that it will cost over £3000, I was advised to go with the sponsored visa and in time the hospital should help with residency visa if you feel you can settle down there.. plus it gives you the same rights as other australian nurses..

the only down fall for sponsored nursing is that if you fall pregnant(although not 100% sure on this one) or hurt your back or out of work for more than 28days you will be exported back to UK..

Also was advised if can try not to send your registration pack to Sydney or Melbourne as they have a lot of backlogs and can take a long time in processing it...
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 1:32 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurseval
I looked into the skilled visa and was told that it will cost over £3000, I was advised to go with the sponsored visa and in time the hospital should help with residency visa if you feel you can settle down there.. plus it gives you the same rights as other australian nurses..

the only down fall for sponsored nursing is that if you fall pregnant(although not 100% sure on this one) or hurt your back or out of work for more than 28days you will be exported back to UK..

Also was advised if can try not to send your registration pack to Sydney or Melbourne as they have a lot of backlogs and can take a long time in processing it...
So, who gave you all this information? Some of it is absolutely incorrect while other bits are somewhat incorrect.

For intance, yes, a skilled visa can cost up to 3000 GBP. However, if you do not use an agent it can be considerably less expensive.

Yes, hospitals can sponsor you for PR but they are in no way obliged to and this doesn't mean they "should". If you are eligible for PR on your own it is a much more secure visa than a temp one. Especially if you have children.

No, you do not have the same rights as any other nurse in Australia. You are obliged to work for your sponsor and only your sponsor. No weekend agency work for a few extra $$, no changing jobs without getting another sponsor. If you or your hospital decide that you are wrong for the job you will need to find another sponsor or yes, you have 28 days to leave the country. You do not need to go back to UK, but you cannot stay in Australia. This can be difficult if your children are settled in school, your spouse is settled in a job, etc. Your spouse may also find it difficult to find full time work as a spouse on a 457. Many employers don't understand that spouses have full work rights - they only see that it's a temporary visa and look past the application.

On a 457 you will be responsible for school fees in some states, you are not eligible for any Centrelink payments (rent assist, child care rebates, etc), no first homeowner's grant, and if you wish to buy property you need to get FIRB approval.

There's a sticky at the top of the Immigration forum page with 457 restrictions. It might be worth looking at. Also take a look at www.immi.gov.au for what you can and cannot do on both temp and permanent visas.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

oh man... im all the more confused.. I was looking to coming for a sponsor.. providing a find a good hospital to work for etc..

so what is the best option; with regards to visas esp in the repsect of myself and my children :S
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

oh man 457 is really worrying..

I am currently with an agency; so would it be best for me to find a job myself and apply that way.. other than the 457 is there anything else I can apply for? sorry for repeated questions..

I worry more about the part where my son can be denied full residency if he turns 18.. ok he is only 13 now but it stil worrying :S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.