Australian passport name change

Old Jan 9th 2020, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Kimandmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian passport name change

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'll give it ago.

Since I got my Australian passport I have remarried. So now I'm trying to find out how to do the name change. I've looked on line, but I'm no further forward.
I'm currently living in the UK.

I actually applied to renue my UK passport, but they informed me I cant, until I've updated the name on my Australian passport.

This is just a mess.

Any info on how to sort this out would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2020, 12:36 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian passport name change

Originally Posted by Kimandmark View Post

Since I got my Australian passport I have remarried. So now I'm trying to find out how to do the name change. I've looked on line, but I'm no further forward.

I actually applied to renue my UK passport, but they informed me I cant, until I've updated the name on my Australian passport.

This is just a mess.

You would go to passports.gov.au to download the forms. Once you've done that follow the directions on the website. Just remember to bring your marriage certificate and any other ID to show your new name.

I'm actually doing the same thing in June when my passport expires, but I'm in Australia so no need to visit the consulate.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 3:09 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

This is just a mess.

You don't need to update the Australian one first unless you are using it as ID for your UK one. If you don't send the UK Passport Office a copy of the Australian one (if for instance you "forget" that you have one) they will not even know it exists.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
You don't need to update the Australian one first unless you are using it as ID for your UK one. If you don't send the UK Passport Office a copy of the Australian one (if for instance you "forget" that you have one) they will not even know it exists.
I've already sent my Australian one to the UK passport office. They sent me it back stating I either have to update my oz one first as I cant have two passports in different surnames or I've to give up it all together.....
I'm obviously not going to give it up. So it looks like now i have to travel to London which is ridiculous as I live in Scotland. This is just a nightmare.

I'm not using the oz one for ID to obtain a UK passport. I only sent it in as they asked if you have another passport of another country, to send it in

Last edited by Kimandmark; Jan 9th 2020 at 11:44 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
You would go to passports.gov.au to download the forms. Once you've done that follow the directions on the website. Just remember to bring your marriage certificate and any other ID to show your new name.

I'm actually doing the same thing in June when my passport expires, but I'm in Australia so no need to visit the consulate.
I did look on the site u mentioned and it states I have to get some kind of form as I got married outside of Australia. It also states I've to go to London, I live in Scotland. This is just a nightmare
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t change the passports. Just remember to book travel in that name rather than your married one. Do it when it is more convenient.
Old Jan 9th 2020, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rammygirl View Post
Don’t change the passports. Just remember to book travel in that name rather than your married one. Do it when it is more convenient.
I lost my UK one last year & that's why I'm applying for another UK one, but obviously in my now married surname.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:12 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I lost my UK one last year & that's why I'm applying for another UK one, but obviously in my now married surname.
Then apply for the UK one as if you don't have Australian one. Use your ID and marriage certificate as proof of the name change.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Then apply for the UK one as if you don't have Australian one. Use your ID and marriage certificate as proof of the name change.
I did apply for a UK one, but I had to send them my oz passport & because my oz passport is in my previous surname they have informed me I have to update my oz one first as I cant have two passports with different surnames.
it's a mess eh
Old Jan 10th 2020, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Here is the letter from UK passport office.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 4:24 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly.

Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:30 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Start here: https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/PptnameChange.html
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Exactly.
its too late to apply without my oz passport so what do u mean Pollyana?

Can I ring UK passport office and say what u said, that I'm not using it for ID purposes? Thanks

Last edited by Kimandmark; Jan 10th 2020 at 8:52 am.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis View Post
that's where I was looking. Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

that's where I was looking. Thanks
Did you marry in Australia or overseas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.