British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Australian passport name change (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/australian-passport-name-change-930265/)

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 9:41 am

Australian passport name change

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'll give it ago.

Since I got my Australian passport I have remarried. So now I'm trying to find out how to do the name change. I've looked on line, but I'm no further forward.
I'm currently living in the UK.

I actually applied to renue my UK passport, but they informed me I cant, until I've updated the name on my Australian passport.

This is just a mess.

Any info on how to sort this out would be much appreciated. Thanks

Dorothy Jan 9th 2020 11:36 am

Re: Australian passport name change

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12787474)

Since I got my Australian passport I have remarried. So now I'm trying to find out how to do the name change. I've looked on line, but I'm no further forward.

I actually applied to renue my UK passport, but they informed me I cant, until I've updated the name on my Australian passport.

This is just a mess.

You would go to passports.gov.au to download the forms. Once you've done that follow the directions on the website. Just remember to bring your marriage certificate and any other ID to show your new name.

I'm actually doing the same thing in June when my passport expires, but I'm in Australia so no need to visit the consulate.

Pollyana Jan 9th 2020 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12787474)

This is just a mess.

You don't need to update the Australian one first unless you are using it as ID for your UK one. If you don't send the UK Passport Office a copy of the Australian one (if for instance you "forget" that you have one) they will not even know it exists.

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12787549)
You don't need to update the Australian one first unless you are using it as ID for your UK one. If you don't send the UK Passport Office a copy of the Australian one (if for instance you "forget" that you have one) they will not even know it exists.

I've already sent my Australian one to the UK passport office. They sent me it back stating I either have to update my oz one first as I cant have two passports in different surnames or I've to give up it all together.....
I'm obviously not going to give it up. So it looks like now i have to travel to London which is ridiculous as I live in Scotland. This is just a nightmare.

I'm not using the oz one for ID to obtain a UK passport. I only sent it in as they asked if you have another passport of another country, to send it in

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12787503)
You would go to passports.gov.au to download the forms. Once you've done that follow the directions on the website. Just remember to bring your marriage certificate and any other ID to show your new name.

I'm actually doing the same thing in June when my passport expires, but I'm in Australia so no need to visit the consulate.

I did look on the site u mentioned and it states I have to get some kind of form as I got married outside of Australia. It also states I've to go to London, I live in Scotland. This is just a nightmare

rammygirl Jan 9th 2020 10:52 pm

Don’t change the passports. Just remember to book travel in that name rather than your married one. Do it when it is more convenient.

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by rammygirl (Post 12787769)
Don’t change the passports. Just remember to book travel in that name rather than your married one. Do it when it is more convenient.

I lost my UK one last year & that's why I'm applying for another UK one, but obviously in my now married surname.

Dorothy Jan 9th 2020 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12787772)
I lost my UK one last year & that's why I'm applying for another UK one, but obviously in my now married surname.

Then apply for the UK one as if you don't have Australian one. Use your ID and marriage certificate as proof of the name change.

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12787778)
Then apply for the UK one as if you don't have Australian one. Use your ID and marriage certificate as proof of the name change.

I did apply for a UK one, but I had to send them my oz passport & because my oz passport is in my previous surname they have informed me I have to update my oz one first as I cant have two passports with different surnames.
it's a mess eh

Kimandmark Jan 9th 2020 11:23 pm

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...417be48ecc.jpg
Here is the letter from UK passport office.

Pollyana Jan 10th 2020 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12787778)

Exactly.

BritInParis Jan 10th 2020 7:30 am

Start here: https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/PptnameChange.html

Kimandmark Jan 10th 2020 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12787821)
Exactly.

its too late to apply without my oz passport so what do u mean Pollyana?

Can I ring UK passport office and say what u said, that I'm not using it for ID purposes? Thanks

Kimandmark Jan 10th 2020 7:48 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12787854)

that's where I was looking. Thanks

BritInParis Jan 10th 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kimandmark (Post 12787861)
that's where I was looking. Thanks

Did you marry in Australia or overseas?