Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check

Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check

Old Feb 28th 2017, 10:36 am
Just Joined

House M.D. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was asked to provide Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check. I've never done that before so would appreciate if you could walk me through this process.
Sponsor – Character requirements – Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check
Your sponsor needs to obtain an AFP National Police Check. An application form is available from the AFP website at http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/ser...lpolice-checks
I got several question which I would like to clarify.

Q1: I opened the provided link and it is specified there:

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) can only provide National Police Checks for:

residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
Australian immigration purposes
where the applicant resides overseas
overseas employment
overseas adoption
visa applications for overseas travel.

I live in NSW so it's a bit unclear if I'm eligible for online application or I should find NSW AFP.

Q2: What kind of ID documents I should certify with JP?

Q3: Is it correct link for online application https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check

Originally Posted by House M.D.
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was asked to provide Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Check. I've never done that before so would appreciate if you could walk me through this process.

I got several question which I would like to clarify.

Q1: I opened the provided link and it is specified there:

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) can only provide National Police Checks for:

residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
Australian immigration purposes
where the applicant resides overseas
overseas employment
overseas adoption
visa applications for overseas travel.

I live in NSW so it's a bit unclear if I'm eligible for online application or I should find NSW AFP.

Q2: What kind of ID documents I should certify with JP?

Q3: Is it correct link for online application https://afpnationalpolicechecks.converga.com.au/?

Thanks in advance.
You are applying for immigration purposes - see the line I put in bold. So yes this is the correct check.

You need to look at the list of documents they require - the list will state if they need to be certified.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Pollyana,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am asked to sign consent form (for name check), scan and upload it. Should I certify it with JP?

Thank you.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyana,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am asked to sign consent form (for name check), scan and upload it. Should I certify it with JP?

Thank you.
Do the instructions ask you to do that?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do the instructions ask you to do that?
Unfortunately, nothing is written in this regards.
You will need to print and sign your consent form. To do so, please select the button below. When you are ready, please scan and upload it below to proceed to the next step. Note: Scanned files must be in .JPG .PDF or .TIF format, with each file being no more than 4MB in size. Please ensure your scanned files are legible or the processing of your NPC application may be delayed. If you do not have a scanner, a camera can be used instead.

Please note that only the consent form generated by selecting the button below is acceptable. The use of any other consent form will result in your application being rejected.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:08 am
Home and Happy

Unfortunately, nothing is written in this regards.
Then you don't need to do anything. If they wanted it certified they would say so. They give you the instructions on what to do, just follow those.
They can't possibly list all the things they don't want you to do, so they just tell you what they DO want.