Australian Citizenship for my child

Old Jul 29th 2011, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australian Citizenship for my child

Originally Posted by desi in angrez
Yes, I am aware that I need to bare all the expenses before & after my child birth. I will enquire with airlines & immigration if I can fly at that time.
I am thinking to do some casual job to earn few which could support me a bit. If i dont get Medicare, I need to talk to some private health insurance company for my baby delivery expenses. Please suggest If i can do this?
If you are heavily pregnant you are unlikely to be able to find a casual job.

I've never seen health insurance that will cover anything pregnancy related unless you have had the policy for 12 months (to stop people getting pregnant then taking out a policy). You will just have to pay all the costs out of your own pocket.

Ultimately it would probably be significantly cheaper to have the baby where you are living now then apply for a child visa before you return to Australia permanently than try to have the baby in Australia.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Tina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to beholdTina7 is a splendid one to behold

It's a new form of travel -- 'economic tourism with baby.'

What an awful burden for a child to be saddled with, a meal ticket for his family.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what you mean a meal ticket, the only benefit is to the baby to be a citizen rather than just PR. The mother will gain nothing as she is already PR and will have to meet requirements for citizenship like anyone else.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You all for such a kind & quick responses!!!!

@spottydog:

No..I dont require any visa for my country....If I get Australian Passport for my baby...that is sufficient.
You will need to prove that your home country will allow your baby in before you can board a flight to return there. If the only thing you have for the baby is an Aus passport then I assume you are returning to a country in which Australians can live with no restrictions. If its a country in which an Australian requires a visa, you will need to look at either a visa for the baby or a passport issued by that home country - some kind of proof of the baby's right to live there.

@ALL:

Also, after my baby's birth, what are the procedures to follow to get its Australian Passport? Will I be questioned by DIAC that I am not living in AUS & cause any problem?

Thanks once again.

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/index.aspx
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I thought the child had to live in Australia permanently until he/she is at least 11 to be an Australian Citizen if born to non Australian Citizens. I'm sure I read this on the Aus migration website sometime ago, or am I confusing this with something else?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I thought the child had to live in Australia permanently until he/she is at least 11 to be an Australian Citizen if born to non Australian Citizens. I'm sure I read this on the Aus migration website sometime ago, or am I confusing this with something else?
No, certainly in this case with a PR mother the baby will be an Australian citizen if born in Australia.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:52 pm

Jensanco is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll have to excuse me cause it's late here and I should have been in my bed aaaaaaages ago.

But is this like 1 flew over the cuckoo's nest or are you just trying to find a simple way of getting dual citizenship for your child?

What a flipping complicated occurance of events you want to put yourself through. I'm assuming this is your first, and I only say that cause I have 4 kids and you would be having a ketchup giraffe if I was gonna put myself through all that aswell as have a baby :$.

1 it looks and sounds a very expensive game plan.
2 I'm not sure Oz would look on you very favourably hi PM welcome back - no no just here to have my baby so it can always have citizenship bye bye now
3 are you hormonal right now?

I've done some pretty crazy things when i've been pregnant but holey cow woman just go back to first step and have a think for a while

Okay i'm gonna go to bed now
Old Aug 7th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough

Hi I will suggest the following
1. If you think an australian citizenship is important for your children, then you need to go to Australia in your earlier pregnancy, and give birth there. airline usually will not allow late pregnancy to board. I dont know your medicare entitlement, but you will need to find out from the official website.

2. as your are still holding a valid Aus PR, you can come and go as YOU PLEASE. Calculate your timing carefully to reach your goal. It is possible for you and your children to have multiple citizenships, depends on which country you are from.

3. Good luck.

Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kezzabird
I read that recently too, except the age is 10. Citizenship is not automatic unless the parents are Citizens.

My sister is a kiwi and is having a baby to an Australian man, and even her baby is not automatically a citizen apparently until the child turns 10 and has been living here and then it is automatically granted citizenship. (and that is with an Autralian father) is what she has been told.

I would love to see some information if anyone knows where to look....thanks

EDIT: OK never mind, went and googled and found this....good to clear that up. I will tell my sister and she will be stoked as it was worrying her http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....google.com.au

Last edited by bananalana; Aug 7th 2011 at 3:13 pm. Reason: add more info
Old Aug 7th 2011, 3:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
I read that recently too, except the age is 10. Citizenship is not automatic unless the parents are Citizens.
Citizen or permanent resident.
An "eligible" NZ citizen is treated as a permanent resident for this purpose.

And you only need one parent to be citizen/PR, not both.

My sister is a kiwi and is having a baby to an Australian man, and even her baby is not automatically a citizen apparently until the child turns 10 and has been living here and then it is automatically granted citizenship. (and that is with an Autralian father) is what she has been told.
Wrong. Child will be Australian. Form 119 can be used to get a citizenship certificate:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/119.pdf

By the way, is your sister an "eligible" New Zealand citizen? If not, she ought to become a permanent resident. She can do this based on her marriage to an Australian.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:33 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bananalana

I would love to see some information if anyone knows where to look....thanks

EDIT: OK never mind, went and googled and found this....good to clear that up. I will tell my sister and she will be stoked as it was worrying her http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....google.com.au
Official link is
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/should_become/guide/

Could I already be a citizen?

There are a number of circumstances where you could have automatically gained citizenship even though your parent or parents were not Australian citizens.

If you were born in Australia on or after:

20 August 1986 to an Australian citizen or permanent resident parent, you became an Australian citizen at birth.
20 August 1986 to parents who were not permanent residents or Australian citizens, you may have become an Australian citizen automatically on your 10th birthday.

If you were born in Australia between:

22 November 1984 and 19 August 1986 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.
26 January 1949 and 21 November 1984 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless your father was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
20 August 1986 to parents who were not permanent residents or Australian citizens, you may have become an Australian citizen automatically on your 10th birthday.
Even that's not quite right, because between 20 August 1986 and 31 August 1994, New Zealand citizens were treated as permanent residents if they wished to apply for Australian citizenship themselves - but not for the purpose of their Australia born children becoming citizens.

22 November 1984 and 19 August 1986 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless one parent was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.
26 January 1949 and 21 November 1984 you became an Australian citizen at birth unless your father was entitled to diplomatic privileges or was a consular officer.
Which is also a simplification of some fairly complex rules concerning those with diplomatic/consular status.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Even that's not quite right, because between 20 August 1986 and 31 August 1994, New Zealand citizens were treated as permanent residents if they wished to apply for Australian citizenship themselves - but not for the purpose of their Australia born children becoming citizens.

Which is also a simplification of some fairly complex rules concerning those with diplomatic/consular status.
Don't shoot the messenger, i just did a cut and paste from tbe citizenship website at the link I posted. They are DIACs comments NOT mine.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't shoot the messenger, i just did a cut and paste from tbe citizenship website at the link I posted. They are DIACs comments NOT mine.
No such intention. Merely an observation that while DIAC's website is pretty good most of the time, it should not be taken as a definitive view.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Citizen or permanent resident.
By the way, is your sister an "eligible" New Zealand citizen? If not, she ought to become a permanent resident. She can do this based on her marriage to an Australian.
Shes not married to an Australian.

LOL you like everyone to be married right?

I am not even going to comment on PR for her because I dont know how she feels about it, was just using that situation as an example of what I had heard (though have googled and since found out otherwise), though I think it could be fair to say not all kiwis would want PR here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.