Australian Citizenship By Descent

Old Mar 27th 2019, 4:11 am
Just Joined

r.e.robinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian Citizenship By Descent

Hello
My Grandmother was Australian and moved to the UK in her 20s (during the 1950s). When she passed away in the 1980s, my mother applied for and was granted Australian Citizenship by Descent. She spent just over 2 years in Australia during the 1990s, not consecutively but over three trips.I have contacted an Australian Immigration Law firm who have confirmed that I am eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship by Descent because my mother held citizenship when I was born and lived in Australia for 2 years. The firm have offered to handle my application for a fee of $1000 (AUD). I still feel like my case is extremely weak and my chances are slim because I have next to no evidence of my mother living in Australia for those 2 years, the 2 years were not consecutive and this was all a long time ago.I have no idea of the likelihood of me receiving citizenship and just wanted to know whether this $1000 will be worth it. Will using a law firm make it much more likely I get citizenship? Could I just apply for this on my own? Please help!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Citizenship By Descent

It should be possible to confirm your mother's movements from 1990s.

You don't really need a "law firm" for this; rather a Registered Migration Agent will be able to assist you with the application if you feel that you need help. Having professional assistance will make sure that your application addresses all the required criteria properly, but in and of itself does not make a positive outcome more or less likely if the facts are properly presented.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 8:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you are sure that your mother has spent enough time in Australia then your case is neither weak or slim - you are eligible. No need for lawyers or agents. DoHA will be able to calculate your mother’s movements - they have electronic records going back to 1981.
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing you are sure that your mother has spent enough time in Australia then your case is neither weak or slim - you are eligible. No need for lawyers or agents. DoHA will be able to calculate your mother’s movements - they have electronic records going back to 1981.
WOW that's great to know! By DoHA do you mean the Department of Health and Ageing? I'm on their website now - do you know how I'd go about requesting records from them? Thanks SO much!!
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r.e.robinson
WOW that's great to know! By DoHA do you mean the Department of Health and Ageing? I'm on their website now - do you know how I'd go about requesting records from them? Thanks SO much!!
The Department of Home Affairs, or whatever they’re calling themselves this week. You don’t need to request them; they already have them on their system. Just make sure to include evidence of any change of names your mother may have had to help them find them.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

The Department of Home Affairs, or whatever they’re calling themselves this week. You don’t need to request them; they already have them on their system. Just make sure to include evidence of any change of names your mother may have had to help them find them.
You need to request them using form 1359.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Paul Hand
You need to request them using form 1359.
You could do but it would be a pointless exercise for the OP other than to check her mother had accumulated her two years.
Old Mar 28th 2019, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

It should be possible to confirm your mother's movements from 1990s.

You don't really need a "law firm" for this; rather a Registered Migration Agent will be able to assist you with the application if you feel that you need help. Having professional assistance will make sure that your application addresses all the required criteria properly, but in and of itself does not make a positive outcome more or less likely if the facts are properly presented.
Thanks Paul. The firm I've spoken with is all registered migration agents and I've checked out their MARN's. Do you think $1000 (AUD) sounds like a standard price for this type of application? I have no idea what the norm is.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Paul. The firm I've spoken with is all registered migration agents and I've checked out their MARN's. Do you think $1000 (AUD) sounds like a standard price for this type of application? I have no idea what the norm is.
I can't comment on another firm's fees. The best way to get comfort would be to get a couple of quotes and compare.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 2:01 am
Just Joined

I can't comment on another firm's fees. The best way to get comfort would be to get a couple of quotes and compare.
​​​​​​
Okay I'll do that. Thanks so much Paul.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 2:46 am

​​​​​​Okay I'll do that. Thanks so much Paul.
I really recommend doing it yourself and save the money. $1000 is an insane amount of money to complete a simple form. Plenty of free expert advice is available on this forum if you require help.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 29th 2019 at 2:48 am.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 4:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I really recommend doing it yourself and save the money. $1000 is an insane amount of money to complete a simple form. Plenty of free expert advice is available on this forum if you require help.
I have to agree. There are many cases in which I would definitely recommend using an agent, more now than ever before, but this is not one of the, It should be a very easy process, Rememberring agents quotes I have had and seen in the past, no way would I part with $1000 for this!
Old May 31st 2019, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Hi All.
I just wanted to thank you all for your advice. I did not use a migration agent/law firm at all and my CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT APPLICATION HAS BEEN ACCEPTED!!
Thanks for encouraging me to do it alone - you saved me a lot of money!
To anyone who may read this in future, YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO PAY FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP. It is very straightforward. Please do message me if you ever have questions!

Old May 31st 2019, 2:26 am

Hi All.
I just wanted to thank you all for your advice. I did not use a migration agent/law firm at all and my CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT APPLICATION HAS BEEN ACCEPTED!!
Thanks for encouraging me to do it alone - you saved me a lot of money!
To anyone who may read this in future, YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO PAY FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP. It is very straightforward. Please do message me if you ever have questions!

Told ya