British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Australia rolls up migrant welcome mat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/australia-rolls-up-migrant-welcome-mat-566275/)

abc99 Oct 10th 2008 3:15 am

Australia rolls up migrant welcome mat

Will this affect the existing application ? Should I migrate ? :(

10.10.08 04:38

Australia flagged a cut in immigration Friday because of the global financial crisis, faltering economic growth and a rise in unemployment, dpa reported.

The immigrant intake has doubled over the past 10 years and was set to double again as a booming economy took unemployment to a 30-year low.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd warned that this year's annual quota of 190,300 would not be matched when the 2009 quota is set in May.

"We adjust it according to the economic circumstances," Rudd said.

Of this year's quota, 135,000 are selected to meet the demand for particular skills not being met locally. As the economy slows and unemployment rises from its current rate of 4.3 per cent, labour demand will fall.

Before the global financial crisis crimped growth projections, Immigration Minister Chris Evans said that "when unemployment is very low I believe you can run a successful, large immigration programme." It follows that as labour demand falls, the immigration programme would be cut.

Monash University researcher Andrew Markus has estimated that of the 21 million Australians, a quarter were born abroad - twice the proportion of the population in the United States and three times that of Britain.

Britain and New Zealand are still the largest source countries, but almost every country is represented.

http://capital.trendaz.com/?show=new...id=540&lang=EN

newjersey Oct 10th 2008 5:39 am

immigration cuts are underway

Hear ye hear ye

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...t-welcome-mat/

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has flagged a cut in immigration because of the global financial crisis, faltering economic growth and a rise in unemployment.
NJ

dance123 Oct 10th 2008 6:23 am

Re: immigration cuts are underway

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 6861774)

SHIT !!!!

Pollyana Oct 10th 2008 6:38 am

Re: Australia rolls up migrant welcome mat

Originally Posted by abc99 (Post 6861544)

Australia flagged a cut in immigration Friday because of the global financial crisis, faltering economic growth and a rise in unemployment, dpa reported.

The immigrant intake has doubled over the past 10 years and was set to double again as a booming economy took unemployment to a 30-year low.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd warned that this year's annual quota of 190,300 would not be matched when the 2009 quota is set in May.

All it says is
this year's annual quota of 190,300 would not be matched when the 2009 quota is set in May. There was a big increase to quotas over the last few years, they are cutting back a bit.

You really can't base your personal decision on that alone, you need to look at how prospects are changing for jobs in your particular trade, for starters.

Pollyana Oct 10th 2008 6:40 am

Two threads merged - lets keep the discussion in the one place :)

pReSSuRe Oct 10th 2008 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6861867)
All it says is
this year's annual quota of 190,300 would not be matched when the 2009 quota is set in May. There was a big increase to quotas over the last few years, they are cutting back a bit.

You really can't base your personal decision on that alone, you need to look at how prospects are changing for jobs in your particular trade, for starters.

Totally agree with Pollyana. I was kinda upset when i read the news at first but thought to myself not to worry about things outta my control. Just hope for the best. Im currently waiting for my skill assessment results. Should have done all these 6 months ago. Sigh.. The Aussie dollar is dropping like a hot brick! :(

De Mange Oct 10th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by abc99 (Post 6861544)

Of this year's quota, 135,000 are selected to meet the demand for particular skills not being met locally. As the economy slows and unemployment rises from its current rate of 4.3 per cent, labour demand will fall.

Before the global financial crisis crimped growth projections, Immigration Minister Chris Evans said that "when unemployment is very low I believe you can run a successful, large immigration programme." It follows that as labour demand falls, the immigration programme would be cut.

Monash University researcher Andrew Markus has estimated that of the 21 million Australians, a quarter were born abroad - twice the proportion of the population in the United States and three times that of Britain.

Britain and New Zealand are still the largest source countries, but almost every country is represented.

And about time, too. Bloody Immigrants. :o

Zambia Oct 10th 2008 3:44 pm

It is not logical in a rising unemployment scenario to keep shipping in people. Its no use arriving in Australia and then realising its got no housing or jobs for you. :blink:

Did anyone think this was not coming, its as sure as house prices falling was?

Alan Collett Oct 11th 2008 5:49 am

The present economic climate means there is likely to be an increasing inertia when dealing with the migration of individuals.

In other words the time taken to crank up or slow down the physical intake of migrants is likely to be measured in years, rather than months.

I say this as I know of many intending migrants who have validated permanent residency visas but who are not planning to move for a year or three. Amongst other things, the housing market among other things is causing intending migrants to defer their plans to move.

The migration program is not like a tap that you can turn on and off at a whim. It is more akin to a juggernaut that takes a while to reach efficiency and top speed, and takes a similarly long time to slow down.

In the meantime we can expect to hear more politicking on the issue of migration as the Australian economy cools and the need to protect the interests of "working families" continues to be highlighted.

Best regards.