Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Australia is not the right place for you guys

Wikiposts

Australia is not the right place for you guys

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 1:26 am
Rob

Default Re: Australia is not the right place for you guys

In <[email protected]> willywh3r3 wrote:

> And I read/saw some news about Australia building the biggest power generator using
    > solar to heat up air which move up through huge chimney that has turbine inside it.
    > I saw the installation (artist made) in the middle of the desert. That would be the
    > first in the world. The chimney is even higher than Malaysian's Petronas tower.

Here it is:

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulletin/eddesk.nsf/All/A7BD712D3-
4AE25B3CA256B12001BA833!open

The chimney would be 1km high. Wooooo.

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

andyhf is an unknown quantity at this point

Beebee,

(i) you're chatting about making personal comments, but you seem really quite defensive yourself, and make several such comments
(ii) i'm largely inclined to disagree with Beebee and agree with what i hear on here about the australian universities actually not being anywhere near as bad as you paint them. you seem to be having a tendancy of tarring all aussie universities with the same brush. You have based your opinions on your experiences of a masters course at one department within one university.
(iii) Speaking as someone with 7 years IT experience in the UK working for large multinationals, if you are going into any particular field of IT, then in my experience it is largely what you have done at University that counts along with what you appear to know and how you apply common sense reasoning/intuition to problems rather than what University you have been to and in what country. We don't tend to prejudice along those lines in the UK at least. There is no real old boys network in IT in the UK. We're far too dynamic for that mate. So any Aussie with a degree from an Aussie uni trying to get work over here would not have a problem as long as they have the expertise required. And if they are going in at a graduate level, it really depends on an all round package, and really in no way whatsoever what country your degree is from. I mean come on this is ludicrous.
(iv) The mark of a Uni department is the people that work there. If you are going for postgraduate/undergraduate study, if a department has world class people working there, it is a very good sign. And for Computing disciplines, some of the top CS/IT researchers ply their trade in Oz. Further, any postgraduate qualification largely comes down to who you have worked with. And you criticise Melbourne Uni. Their CS department has Leon Stirling. He is to the field of AI what Jesus is to christians mate. (Speaking as one myself that is high praise indeed).

Personal comment coming up to conclude: Beebee you don't know your arse from your elbow mate. Get over it!

Cheers
Andy
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 12:19 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TomK:
Anybody noticed the scramjet rocket test by Uni of Queensland? It made big news worldwide a couple of weeks ago, when they beat NASA and Japan in constructing the world's first scramjet engine (an Oz-to-London-in-2-hours type of thing). Just to say that Australian universities can be pretty good.

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/index.phtml?article=3469

Flight path

A British scramjet engine belonging to QinetiQ was tested during the "HyShot" flight tests in the Australian desert in October. HyShot is an international space project led by the University of Queensland (UQ), which involves the launch of two Terrier Orion rockets fitted with scramjets in experiments at Woomera, 500km north of Adelaide.
The QinetiQ scramjet engine was been prepared for flight on October 30 and flew at an estimated Mach 7.6 (7.6 times the speed of sound). This followed a mission on October 24 using a scramjet designed by researchers in UQ's Centre for Hypersonics.
Scramjets are air-breathing supersonic combustion ramjet engines. They are calculated to have the best performance of any engine for vehicles flying in the Mach 7 to 15 range. If these calculations can be verified by experiment, the scramjet may make flights of only several hours between Australia and Britain possible.
It is hoped the experiment will validate information already captured in UQ's T4 ground shock tunnel, one of the few facilities on earth capable of conducting ground based scramjet experiments for flight Mach numbers of the order of 8 or higher. The British scramjet engine is currently in Australia undergoing ground tests at the T4 shock tunnel.
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 12:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by willywh3r3:

And I read/saw some news about Australia building the biggest power generator using solar to heat up air which move up through huge chimney that has turbine inside it.

I saw the installation (artist made) in the middle of the desert. That would be the first in the world. The chimney is even higher than Malaysian's Petronas tower.
Great news for the brickies I wondered where all those utes where going
Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:43 pm
Chris

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [ Unless I am misunderstanding your original posting about the below reputable
    > universities, I do not understand what is wrong with any University in Australia.
    > My question to you is, are the below statements based on real experiences or are
    > you just merely exercising your figures on your keyboard?
    > Lassie
    > I take it you have seen the finished product regaurding Australian Universities ,
    > compare that to Yale or Oxford .

Yale or Oxford are not State run Universities. Apples and oranges.

> Everything in life comes down to back ground and net working , the brightest
    > people in the world are not to be found in Australian Uni's

Again, you're comparing well established private Universities with younger State-run
Universities. A moronic comparison by any measure. Compare Universities of the same
age or even ones which have similar entry fees.

> loads of Asians on cut price deals maybe.Future world leaders no chance !

Asian students studying abroad typically come from wealthier families. By the way,
what experience do you have with Australian Universities, or any Uni for that matter?

Overall Aus Unis compare very well with US Unis - this is common knowledge overseas.
Canadian and Australian Universities are generally regarded as some of the best
overall. The US has a handful of the best Unis in the world, but it also has an
abundance of crap ones as well.

Chris

> "
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 6:45 pm
Chris

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by TomK:
    > > Anybody noticed the scramjet rocket test by Uni of Queensland? It made big news
    > > worldwide a couple of weeks ago, when they beat NASA and Japan in constructing
    > > the world's first scramjet engine (an Oz-to-London-in-2-hours type of thing).
    > > Just to say that Australian universities can be pretty good.
    > >
    > >
    > > http://www.uq.edu.au/n-
    > > ews/index.phtml?article=3469

> Yes First one blown into bits ,second one its all gone very quiet about the results
    > already been tried by NASA they gave up on it as bad idea if USA will not or can
    > afford to carry on with it what chance Australia which has no aerospace companies
    > of their own NIL.

You missed the point. UQ has gone the farthest so far in building scramjets. So
much for your shit-stirring theories.

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:49 pm
Alvin

I disagree with what you said. I am Asian and a oversee student. In general, asian
students are not typically coming from wealthy families. Many of them are just on
average, or even below. Students come to Australia because the school fee is cheaper
and living standard is cheaper as well, compare to the UK and the States. I read
couple posts from BeeBee, who somehow has similar background as me, and I do think
that he does tell the truth, at least from the Aisan minds.

I am sorry that I don't have your common knowledge. Let me tell you tell truth, at
least in my home country, people generally think that a degree from Australia is
definitely less valued than those from UK or the states. This is the common
knowledge. I know you don't like it, but this is the truth. Ask around your Asian
friends from oversees and have them told you honestly. You will know the fact. Btw,
even thought they may tell you this is not the truth, but somehow i think the most
important reason is because the AU universities spent huge money in advertisement
oversees.... this is again, the truth too. This business is so important for
Australia as this is one of the major income for the country. This is, in fact, the
common sense. In general, for us, except few better ones (within 5), we will not
attend other universities at all, not even think about it because most of them are
just trying to make money. For us, they are a business, selling degree, not
education.

Be honest, I attended one of the State University in US for my undergraduate degree
and I am doing my Master here in Melbourne. Well, i don't want to be too obvious,
but i do think that the state university is much better than the one i am attending
now. At least, more resources, more organized, classes are more small, and the
teachers are more professional in general. This is my opinion. My feeling to the
universities here is that they always put the wrong resources in the wrong places.
They give you huge information and in fact, many of them are duplicated. I guess
they just want to make themselves "look nice" instead of really thinking about how to
improve the services to the students. I don't understand at all how can you say
"Canadian and Australian Universities are generally regarded as some of the best
overall". Some Canadian schools maybe, but I guess those AU Uni. still has a long
long way to go to be truly world-class.
========================
    > Asian students studying abroad typically come from wealthier families. By the
    > way, what experience do you have with Australian Universities, or any Uni for
    > that matter?
    > Overall Aus Unis compare very well with US Unis - this is common knowledge
    > overseas. Canadian and Australian Universities are generally regarded as some of
    > the best overall. The US has a handful of the best Unis in the world, but it also
    > has an abundance of crap ones as well.

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 10:56 pm
Beebee

Don't you study the history or just have any senses at all about the relationship
between the US and the Korea. No wonder there is rubbish coming from your mouth.

> > I would say try being a Asian in the Europe or even OZ, go to a western
    > > restaurant and you will definitely understand and feel what
discrimination
    > > is!!!!!!
    > Absolute rubbish. Have quite a circle of friends who are Asian (Korean, Japanese,
    > and Viet) who don't seem to come across all of this
discrimination
    > in Australia. Have you ever been told that there's no service for foreigners in
    > Australia? Ever been told by your real estate agent that he doesn't let homes to
    > foreigners? No? That's why I said try being a white guy in Asia. I got off easy
    > (in Japan)... I know others who were spat on, pushed off a bus, and shouted at in
    > the middle of the street because the locals thought they were Americans (this was
    > in Korea).

Old Aug 23rd 2002, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Guys, guys

simmer down...this is such a CRAP arguement and one which I don't think really belongs on this particular NG...In case you haven't noticed this is about MIGRATING to australia not to have a pathetic arguement about "my Uni is better than your Uni"....

Grow up lads or else find somewhere else to take this arguement....I wouldn't even mind if this were backed up by sound facts and figures...it just seems to be a purely subjective view on how one person finds one particular uni..

ho hum.... :lecture:

Go have a drink and chill out

love sophia xx
Old Aug 24th 2002, 9:55 pm
Chris

"BeeBee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Don't you study the history or just have any senses at all about the relationship
    > between the US and the Korea. No wonder there is rubbish coming from your mouth.

Am quite familar with the background, but your reply doesn't address the fact that
the treatment of whites in Asia is worse than Asians in Australia. People cry
discrimination at the drop of a pin in Aus... not so in most Asian nations.

Chris

> > > I would say try being a Asian in the Europe or even OZ, go to a
western
    > > > restaurant and you will definitely understand and feel what
    > discrimination
    > > > is!!!!!!
    > >
    > > Absolute rubbish. Have quite a circle of friends who are Asian (Korean,
    > > Japanese, and Viet) who don't seem to come across all of this
    > discrimination
    > > in Australia. Have you ever been told that there's no service for foreigners in
    > > Australia? Ever been told by your real estate agent that
he
    > > doesn't let homes to foreigners? No? That's why I said try being a
white
    > > guy in Asia. I got off easy (in Japan)... I know others who were spat
on,
    > > pushed off a bus, and shouted at in the middle of the street because the locals
    > > thought they were Americans (this was in Korea).

Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Dunc&Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Australia is not the right place for you guys

Hi All

Well, this is a very interesting discussion especially as we are new forum members and very keen to get to Australia!

I (Sam) work in the City (London) in IT and help manage massive projects. There are a lot of Aussies here, I agree, but the ones I work with are bright well educated individuals with a lot to offer who know their stuff. They love their home like we love ours.

We also have friends in Australia who wouldn't come back to the UK for all the money in the world and have nothing but admiration for the way of life over there. These guys are hard workers and are earning well and have a standard of living that far surpasses what they had over here, even though they were high earners in the UK.

I think it is a matter of applying yourself, building a network of friends and being prepared to do what needs to be done without rose tinted glasses getting in the way. it takes guts, and I admire anyone who has the belief in themselves to make the move, be it UK to Oz or vice versa.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

jessybrissy is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am also from Hong Kong, lived briefly in California before I decided to make Brisbane my home, and I am totally head over heel in love with the place.

The reason why I eventually decided to flee Hong Kong is because of the shocking deterioration of the environment, both commercially and naturally, after chicken flu, SARS, coupled with the thickening smog every day, who knows what's next? Series after series of food contamination scandals in mainland China, the biggest food supplier of HK, smashed my confidence in general grocery food so much that I started eating only NZ and OZ imports, well, how about just going to Oz and eat locally grown food?

Here is my general impression of Brisbane, since I just don't know enough to talk about elsewhere. The best thing about Brisbane is its people. Friendliest, nicest, most eager to help, and racism? Zilch, zinc, nil! I'd also contest the notion that there are no smart people here, I've met some very competent professionals here, and they don't have their nose up in the air. Brisbane is changing very quickly, those who complain about the nightlife and lack of social scene may have a very different idea if they look back in 12 months. Since my arrival slightly over a year ago, so much has already changed. I am literally witnessing Brisbane as a truely cosmopolitan yet unique city in the making.

Let me tell you about something interesting about Brisbane apart from the lifestyle yada yada (Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, or Glasshouse mtns) and why it matters to the new immigrant. First, it is indeed a smart city as it proclaims. The city planning is quite well thought-out, for example, the busway idea gives the city so much traffic leeway to grow at a minimal cost. Busway is a dedicated highway / tunnel entirely enclosed just for the bus, sounds weird, right? Well, it is cheaper than train, but faster than sharing lanes on highway and causes much less noise pollution. Second, QLD is a place with perhaps the highest per capita public spending due to the subsidy provided by WA, NSW and VIC, due to a complicated formula determining most of the stamp duty tax collected in the aforementioned states to be redistributed to QLD, NT, TAS and SA, with QLD being the biggest recipient. Third, the economy is booming. I have had entrepreneur friends who migrated here from HK and they are very surprised to see things take off so much faster than they had expected, since the general impression for investment immigration is that, you are prepared to lose the full amount for x number of years to gain that residency privilege. Most of the people coming to Brisbane are not FOB immigrants, they are inter-state migrants from Melbourne and Sydney who cashed out on their houses in search of a better lifestyle, and that means these new arrivals have money to spend, as long as you have the right product and service to sell.

Now, the negatives. Yes, Brisbanites are not as sophisticated, they perhaps are more sports-oriented and don't speak 5 languages. But it is easy to make friends here, and the mix of people is rapidly changing, if you want diversity, you won't be disappointed. Brisbane's pay is not that high as opposed to what one can make in Europe, or HK, and the tax is high, yes shockingly high for someone like me who is just too used to 15% flat tax and no CGT. But the cost of living is very reasonable, except for a few categories. I shop electronics online from the US, because the price in the US is generally 20% lower, even on top of international shipping. I also shop for clothes on my trips to California because the choices, style and price are so much better. Housing is much cheaper, service is cheap and reliable (because pay is lower), furniture is cheaper, grocery is very cheap and good if you shop at farmer's market (or know where to shop), medical service is much cheaper and amazingly good, and education is far cheaper. If you are not happy with the universities here, you can always send your kids to Ivy Leagues or Oxbridge when they are done with high schools. I don't know about UK, but the public school system here is so much better than that of the US and HK, both are quite broken and private schools cost 20,000 USD upwards after-tax per year.

However, please be forwarned that if you are not interested in starting a business here, the chance of your striking it rich is minimal, or non-existent. Unlike UK, US or HK, one can make millions just by working in extremely lucrative industries like high finance or hi-tech through stock options, not here. If you have already made your retirement savings and are looking for an english-speaking Utopia where your money can go a long way, Brisbane is your best bet. If you are a have-not in your home country and seeking a comfortable but not expecting a brilliant future, Brisbane is also a good bet. If you are young, aggressive and have your mind set to be the creme de la creme, don't come. If you are smart, think different, aspire to steer your own ship and won't be entirely upset if you don't have a 16-bedroom mansion with a private golf course in the end, you should try Brisbane out.

I think Brisbane is the best place for me, but that's just very personal. Anyone who is serious about emigration should take at least 1 validation trip and do his homework - and this is the advice coming from a serial immigrant like me, trust me, I have done it a couple of times already.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

jessybrissy is on a distinguished road

Just to balance my opinion a bit so that i don't sound like a paid campaigner from the QLD government, here is a list of things you will loathe:

1) Telstra - the most ludicrous, inefficient telco on the face of earth. I can't believe up till this day and age a telco can still charge local users PER CALL!
2) Any mobile phone provider - australia has a structural cost problem with its mobile industry, the cost is just ridiculous. Have you guys ever heard of a term called flagfall charge (connection charge)? And charged on 30-second basis? What kind of crap is that?
3) Expensive appliances - too bad that I can't shop appliances online from the US, the appliance cost here is just out of whack. Generally at least 25% more expensive than the US and the choice is so limited. Stores even carry models that are considered vintage items in the US or HK.
4) Horrible banking charges - Ever heard of government tax per cheque written and based on amount? Ever heard of charging per visit to the bank? No. of times that you can use ATM for free? Ever heard of a charge of 2% of foreign currency remittance? I will switch to any US banks that will be allowed to open at least ONE branch in Brisbane over a heartbeat.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:17 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by wannabee sheila
Mother for sale, one careful lady owner, open to offers
Lol

Emigration is a funny thing and one persons dreams might not be anothers.

My dreams are to be given PR and get my aussie visa. Move to Adelaide and be with my friend.

I am under no illusions about the beaches and sunshine. But I do know that it feels like home to me.

Our application will be hard as we dont have a strong case.

But should we be successful, then it will be the best day for my husband and I.

We all have countries that we may or may not like to live in. But whilst I respect it when people say 'Australia is not for you guys', it is not fair to generalise.

My friend is a brit and is at uni in Perth, and is impressed with the education system.

We all get choices, opportunities in live and it's up to us to make the best of them.

It might meet our expectations or it might not. But we have to find that out for ourselves.

I just hope that my husband and I will be given that chance to move to Australia and build a new life for ourselves.

One persons opinion is not anothers.

Beaches and hot weather are not my reasons for wanting to move, finding the place where I want to live, is.

By the way, if anyone wants my mum, I will sell her in return for a visa Lol

Last edited by Professional Princess; Aug 18th 2004 at 10:25 pm.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Wozza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andre Duncam
Hi EveryOne

I went through some of the emails ob this newsgroups, and I have sensed what I went
through when I was in Autralia. For the people who are dreaming about the sunny and
warm beaches during the cold and dark winter nights in UK or elsewhere, I advise to
think twice before making the mistake of their life. ......
Duncan
This guy is just looking for a bite. Don't even entertain replying. he is obviously just obsessed with money.

For myself, an IT professional, I can't wait to get away from it all in this God forsaken country called England. I'm fortunate to have rediculous equity in my house, as do many other potential migrants, to go to Oz , buy a property outright for cash, a property far better than I could here and then start to enjoy life instead of just living to work all the time and only enjoying weekneds (if the weather is good!) and just looking forward to a holiday now and then. There's more to life than just work. You're only here once, so make the most of it. I'd be quite happy with a part time job doing a few hours a week once I'm there, after all, I'll never have to worry about another mortgage payment again!! Get a life...

Woz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.