Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Australia citizenship and eVistor visa *urgent*

Australia citizenship and eVistor visa *urgent*

Old Apr 24th 2013, 2:42 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australia citizenship and eVistor visa *urgent*

Sorry, this ones going to be a long one, but I really need the help.

The short version is: Does Australian citizenship expire?

Some background:

I'm trying to book a ticket for my mother to fly to Australia.

She moved out there with my Dad (who has since passed away) in 1980. They obtained PR before they emigrated from the UK as he moved out there on his trade.

I was born in 1985 and hold dual nationality (Australian and British).

They gained citizenship in 1988 before they moved back to the UK. They lived there for 18 months before moving back to Australia for a further three years.

We moved back to the UK permanently in October 1993. My parents had no intention of moving back to Australia, unless myself and my brothers moved there and they wished to be near us as pensioners.

Both of my parents held both Australian and British passports.

My mum currently only holds a valid British passport. The Australian one expired in 1999 and wasn't renewed.

I was applying through the eVisitor application form for her.

I stated that she is a British Citizen, as on her UK passport, that is what is listed.

However, there is a question that says: "Do you hold citizenship in any other country?"

So going back to my original question – does Australian citizenship expire?

Obviously, if it doesn't, she won't be eligible for an eVisitor visa and she'll need to apply for an Australian passport.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by auzdafluff; Apr 24th 2013 at 2:49 pm. Reason: Because I really need to read through my posts before posting :p
Old Apr 24th 2013, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia citizenship and eVistor visa *urgent*

No.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No but she should get an Oz passport to travel to Oz.

It might be possible without if she has proof of citizenship like an expired Oz passport, but it can cause hassle with the airlines.

She could check with the airline and be prepared for some delays on check-in if no time to get a new passport. But she may be refused entry to the flight if they cannot ascertain her citizenship. Sometimes it can come down to who is on duty on the day. There is also a slim possibility she could be refused entry on arrival.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Your mother should not be applying for a visa, she should be applying for an Australian passport.