aussie passoprt to uk or not

Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default aussie passoprt to uk or not

Hey, im an aussie citizen with a UK passport. I wish to travel to the UK for a short holiday. Can i just use my UK passport or do i have to apply for an aussie one?

Thanks Kim
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:33 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aussie passoprt to uk or not

Originally Posted by kimandken
Hey, im an aussie citizen with a UK passport. I wish to travel to the UK for a short holiday. Can i just use my UK passport or do i have to apply for an aussie one?

Thanks Kim
Aussie one
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to use an Australian passport to leave and enter Australia - for a short holiday to the UK you could use either your UK or Australian passport to enter the UK.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Cheers for the speedy replies. I was just hoping to use my UK one as was planing on traveling next week.

Oh well never mind, u gotta do whatcha gotta do
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
Cheers for the speedy replies. I was just hoping to use my UK one as was planing on traveling next week.

Oh well never mind, u gotta do whatcha gotta do
The aussie ones seem to come back quick.But perhaps not in time for next week.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:13 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
The aussie ones seem to come back quick.But perhaps not in time for next week.
My wife got her Aus passport renewed in a very quick time by paying a bit extra - not sure if you can get a new one issued as quickly.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You'll need to use an Australian passport to leave and enter Australia - for a short holiday to the UK you could use either your UK or Australian passport to enter the UK.
Any passport will be acceptable for departure and a British passport for entry to the UK.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discobay
Any passport will be acceptable for departure and a British passport for entry to the UK.
Advice from the government is for an Australian citizen to use their Australian passport for departure from Australia. In any case, the OP definitely requires an Australian passport for entry again.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Advice from the government is for an Australian citizen to use their Australian passport for departure from Australia. In any case, the OP definitely requires an Australian passport for entry again.
Yes but the OP doesn't have one. He would be fine to use the British one without question at immigration as no one would expect him to hold one.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the OP doesn't have one. He would be fine to use the British one without question at immigration as no one would expect him to hold one.
Then OP needs to get one. What do you mean immigration would not expect "him" (think OP is a "her" by the way) to hold one?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Then OP needs to get one. What do you mean immigration would not expect "him" (think OP is a "her" by the way) to hold one?
OP would just present her British passport and there would be no reason for immigration to ask for her Australian one unless she declared herself a citizen.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

OP would just present her British passport and there would be no reason for immigration to ask for her Australian one unless she declared herself a citizen.
When I left Australia they checked my passport on the way out, so presumably they would have looked at my visa details. They certainly checked my vsa on the way back in.

OP won't have a visa anymore as it would have been cancelled when she got citizenship. So presenting a British passport without a visa and pretending she is not a citizen isn't a good idea.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 1:34 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Note true. My OH's boss left Aus last week for a conference in the USA. She hadn't checked and had her UK passport evan though a citizen. At immigration they advised she coul not reenter on that passport and to get the airport very early to try and sort it out. We still don't know if she got through.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
When I left Australia they checked my passport on the way out, so presumably they would have looked at my visa details. They certainly checked my vsa on the way back in.

OP won't have a visa anymore as it would have been cancelled when she got citizenship. So presenting a British passport without a visa and pretending she is not a citizen isn't a good idea.
I must have missed the part where the OP said she got her citizenship recently.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you are an Aussie citizen it is actually possible to leave on your UK passport, although Australian Immigration don't like you to, and do say that you "must" use your Aussie one because they like to keep records of when you enter and leave the country. You don't need a visa to leave so technically they can't stop you just producing the UK one.

However to get back in you need either a valid Aus passport or a valid visa, and after becoming a citizen your visa is cancelled, so you need an Aus passport, can't re-enter on the UK one. If you have only just become a citizen then they will accept proof of citizenship if you have to fly without having time to get a passport, but in this case that doesn't apply.
The OP can leave on the UK passport but needs an Aus passport to get back in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.