Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Aussie parents died, still a possibility to get an Australian passport/citizenship ?

Wikiposts

Aussie parents died, still a possibility to get an Australian passport/citizenship ?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:20 am
Just Joined

TIMTAM_1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie parents died, still a possibility to get an Australian passport/citizenship ?

Hi,

I have a complicated question which I hope someone can shed some light on :

The parents of my mother where Australian, my mother has almost lived here whole life outside Australia and never had an Aussie passport or citizenship.

Both of here parents have passed away for some time now, but after my mums last visit to Australia she would like to emigrate to Australia to live and retire there.

Is there any change, because both my mothers parents where Australian she can get an Australian passport or/and citizenship ? If not could you please give some explanation ?

Thank you in advance for your help !!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:45 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future
Default Re: Aussie parents died, still a possibility to get an Australian passport/citizenshi

quite possibly yes

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...by-descent.htm
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie parents died, still a possibility to get an Australian passport/citizenshi

Originally Posted by TIMTAM_1975
Hi,

I have a complicated question which I hope someone can shed some light on :

The parents of my mother where Australian, my mother has almost lived here whole life outside Australia and never had an Aussie passport or citizenship.

Both of here parents have passed away for some time now, but after my mums last visit to Australia she would like to emigrate to Australia to live and retire there.

Is there any change, because both my mothers parents where Australian she can get an Australian passport or/and citizenship ? If not could you please give some explanation ?

Thank you in advance for your help !!
Quite possibly. But do you know if your grandparents ever became citizens of the country you are from. If so, when and how did they do so?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:06 am
Just Joined

TIMTAM_1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the reply's, in the meanwhile I did some further research...

My grandmother did not became citizen of another country.

Also my mother was born before 26 january 1949, if understand it correctly she can request citizenship by descent ? Only how can she proof that her mother was an Aussie citizen ? As I written in the initial post here parents have past a while ago.

Would it also be possible for me to get citizenship (I am not born in Oz and over 25 years of age) ? Can my mother put me in here application or is there another possibility ?

Thanks again for the help !
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:50 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the reply's, in the meanwhile I did some further research...

My grandmother did not became citizen of another country.

Also my mother was born before 26 january 1949, if understand it correctly she can request citizenship by descent ? Only how can she proof that her mother was an Aussie citizen ? As I written in the initial post here parents have past a while ago.

Would it also be possible for me to get citizenship (I am not born in Oz and over 25 years of age) ? Can my mother put me in here application or is there another possibility ?

Thanks again for the help !
Hi TT,

Can I just suggest you work through this with Jeremy privately. Not many people here would know this, but he's one of the leading experts on citizenship issues in Australia and elsewhere.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 25th 2007, 2:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If she was born in Australia, you need to get a copy of her birth certificate from the relevant state/territory registry. Anyone born in Australia before 26 January 1949 was a British subject by birth, unless parents were diplomats.

And on 26 Jan 1949, all British subjects born in Australia became Australian citizens. So she would have become Australian on 26 Jan 1949 provided she did not lose her British nationality before that date. If she never became a citizen of another country this ought not to be a problem.

No, sorry. Although if your mother gets citizenship and moves to Australia she might be able to sponsor you for one of the available immigration visas. Depends on circumstances.