Aussie Job Market for Migrants.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

shakiman is on a distinguished road
Default Aussie Job Market for Migrants.

Surprise to read this article...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E662,00.html

Would love to have comments ...specially IT people.

Shakiman
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Aussie Job Market for Migrants.

Originally Posted by shakiman

Shakiman
Although i will not be migrating until 07, yesterday i sent out two "feeler" e-mails to companies i believed could use my particular experience (I am an electrician in the Royal Navy). I've just checked my e-mail account and both companies were interested and asked me to keep in touch, one even added that they could possibly help with the migration process. I realise that 2 years is quite a long time but i reckon it's worth checking the employment websites and targetting employers who you believe can utilise your own particular skills. I have to admit that i was surprised to get favourable replies from both parties, but it does seem to indicate that there are positions available if you look in the right places.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Re: Aussie Job Market for Migrants.

Originally Posted by lilstewie
Although i will not be migrating until 07, yesterday i sent out two "feeler" e-mails to companies i believed could use my particular experience (I am an electrician in the Royal Navy). I've just checked my e-mail account and both companies were interested and asked me to keep in touch, one even added that they could possibly help with the migration process. I realise that 2 years is quite a long time but i reckon it's worth checking the employment websites and targetting employers who you believe can utilise your own particular skills. I have to admit that i was surprised to get favourable replies from both parties, but it does seem to indicate that there are positions available if you look in the right places.
Nice one, I think that's the best way to do it - go straight to potential employers. But it is in interesting article, although they could say there were no skilled jobs and I'd still move (lifestyle change and all that.....)

SS
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:04 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose part of the problem may be that you get a visa based on your skills but there's no pressure to find employment using those skills...?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

atlantatoaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Shakiman
my 2 cents
think that article is not really true atleast hoping its not true we move to aussie on the 10th of august .....wil lknow first hand i guess...

why I think the article is crap.....

from the look of it most of these ppl in this article are v unhappy about life in aus so if that was the case don't you think they would do something about it.There were some specific egs of indian ppl in this article really with IT being fabulous and with the present job market in india I believe they would rather go backt o india & get a nice job then to live in aus driving taxis....

regards
priya
Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmm

Don't know what to say!
Old Jul 21st 2005, 10:30 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of things about the article. One is that the Skilled Migration Program will never be bang-up to date, never in sync with the current market. The job market, and especially the IT job market, is forever changing. IT applications were still being fast-tracked a couple of years back, even after it was generally recognised that IT demand was well down. Now, IT skills are in heavy demand again in some areas, and there's nothing on the MODL. That's not really a criticism, Immigration can't be making knee-jerk reactions all the time. There is demand in some areas of IT, but unless DIMIA see a definite trend and a need, they won't make a change.

Something else that's touched on in the article, is regarding employer's confidence in skilled migrants. What I can confirm from first-hand experience, and also talking to other Expats, is that it is very hard to get an IT job in Australia without prior experience. The first 6 months I was here, I only worked for 14 weeks. Since Easter 2003, I've been contracting solid, for three different companies. It seems that Australian Employers feel more comfortable with taking on skilled migrants, once they've been 'proven' in the Aussie workforce. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. Another thing is your contacts. A work colleague at company number 2 directly helped me get a job at company number 3, as he'd worked there before, and talked to one of the interviewers. I'm not saying I might not have got the job anyway, but don't underestimate the networking side of things here - it definitely smoothed things along. It's incredible the amount of links you can make when you meet people at work. You'll meet someone new at a company, and find you have several common acquaintances from previous companies.

I don't want it to sound like doom-and-gloom, but IT migrants should definitely be prepared for an initial struggle. Of course if you already have contacts in the Australian market, that could help. But bring sufficient savings, or be prepared to take on jobs you wouldn't normally consider.

Cheers, Paul.

Shakiman