Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Aus Permanent Resident wants to move to NZ to work for 1 year, any complications?

Aus Permanent Resident wants to move to NZ to work for 1 year, any complications?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:52 am
Just Joined

Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Aus Permanent Resident wants to move to NZ to work for 1 year, any complications?

Hi,

I am an Australian Permanent resident who want to move to NZ for 1 year to work.

I realise I can move to NZ and get the NZ residency visa upon arrival, but I am wondering if there will be any complications on my return to Australia?

In the following link in the "Treaty Rights" section, it is mentioned that:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...an_Citizenship

Treaty Rights

An Australian passport gives full residence rights in New Zealand. PRs also have this right but exercising it may cause complications with losing rights to return to Australia.

Does the "complications" merely refer to the fact that my Aus PR visa may be expired during the time I live in NZ? Or is there any other complications that I am not aware of?

If the only issue is my visa expiration during my stay in NZ, I can easily get a Resident Return Visa visa before I leave Australia.

Thank you

Last edited by Storm Petrel; Apr 25th 2011 at 5:54 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Permanent Resident wants to move to NZ to work for 1 year, any complications?

So long as you have a visa that will allow you to return to Australia it will be fine.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 7:12 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Permanent Resident wants to move to NZ to work for 1 year, any complications?

You will also likely reset the clock for Citizenship if that is relevent to you.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tking
You will also likely reset the clock for Citizenship if that is relevent to you.
It won't reset, however time outside Australia will go towards the allowable 1 year absence (with no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It won't reset, however time outside Australia will go towards the allowable 1 year absence (with no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying).
Which is why after 90 days outside, one needs to clock up at least 9 months resident after returning before being eligible to apply.

And after 1 year outside, it will take at least 3 years after return to become eligible.

The issue of keeping PR while in NZ is a separate one. If Australian PR is lost, and if one is not qualified to get a NZ Returning Resident Visa, then a one way trip back to home country is likely.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
And after 1 year outside, it will take at least 3 years after return to become eligible.
I based my reply on the OP being smart about their time outside Australia in regards to citizenship eligibility - though this isn't always the case I guess.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

fahadkhan389 will become famous soon enoughfahadkhan389 will become famous soon enough

Can some one land to NZ directly who applied for visa outside Australia and gets Australian PR? or it is necessary to land in Australia airport,validate the visa and move to NZ?or spending some time in Australia is must?

regards
FK
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fahadkhan389
Can some one land to NZ directly who applied for visa outside Australia and gets Australian PR? or it is necessary to land in Australia airport,validate the visa and move to NZ?or spending some time in Australia is must?

regards
FK
You need to go to Australia to validate an Australian visa. NZ and Australia are separate countries.

After validation, refer to rest of thread.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:00 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The issue of keeping PR while in NZ is a separate one. If Australian PR is lost, and if one is not qualified to get a NZ Returning Resident Visa, then a one way trip back to home country is likely.
Technically Aussie PR is not lost though is it, the question is about retaining an Australian RRV if you wish to return to Australia. NZ PR comes with an RRV just like Australian PR thought technically unlike Australia you lose PR when you leave New Zealand but the RRV entitles you to be reissued PR when you return.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Technically Aussie PR is not lost though is it, the question is about retaining an Australian RRV if you wish to return to Australia. NZ PR comes with an RRV just like Australian PR thought technically unlike Australia you lose PR when you leave New Zealand but the RRV entitles you to be reissued PR when you return.
What? Couldn't follow that.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

I just came back from New Zealand yesterday after a 5 day trip. Passport is stamped "Resident Visa" with 2020, can stay/remain there indefinitely. Make sure that you are qualified for a RRV when you return back to Australia after one year stay. If you move to NZ and stay for one year and you come back to Australia within the validity of your PR, there's no problem with that. But make sure you can easily secure a RRV.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Storm Petrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by H2fusion
I just came back from New Zealand yesterday after a 5 day trip. Passport is stamped "Resident Visa" with 2020, can stay/remain there indefinitely. Make sure that you are qualified for a RRV when you return back to Australia after one year stay. If you move to NZ and stay for one year and you come back to Australia within the validity of your PR, there's no problem with that. But make sure you can easily secure a RRV.
I guess your NZ resident visa got expired right after you left NZ, right?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

I don't think so. I will have to come back to NZ and see what the Immigration officer stamp on my passport. But I guess since it says can remain there indefinitely with 2020 stamped on, they will just stamp the passport with an Arrival Stamp.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 2:25 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What? Couldn't follow that.
Haha explaining it further would probably only make it worse but I'll have ago.. If you look at the conditions on a NZ IRRV you will find the following:

"The holder of this permit may remain in NZ indefinatly. This permit expires when the holder leaves NZ"

So technically when you leave NZ your PR expires but you are able to "apply" for a new resident permit as you get your passport stamped on returning to NZ. This is different from Australian PR.

Originally Posted by H2fusion
Now that makes no sense, your first NZ RRV is issued initially for 2 years, after completing the 2 years you can apply for an indefinate RRV which being indefinate should not have a date on it.
Old Apr 29th 2011, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

That was my first trip to New Zealand, so I expect it to be just a Resident Visa stamp and not a RRV stamp. I don't know. Like I have said the stamped on my passpost is " Resident Visa, then under is 2020" Part of the stamp was not stamped properly so it is hard to see what is written in the whole stamp. I have to go back to New Zealand and see what they will stamp on my passport after the second visit.