Wikiposts

AUS Immigration Basic Questions (Visa 176)

Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Karanverma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AUS Immigration Basic Questions (Visa 176)

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and behind with the details on AUS Skilled Visa. I have very Basic questions and wondering if someone can help me with those.

1. Which is the best state for IT professionals (from job perspective)?
2. What are the eligibility criterion for state Sponcership?
3. How long usually it take to get state sponsorship and then get the Visa granted?
4. If I get the Visa granted does that mean that I got the PR?
5. What happens if I do not land to AUS once VISA is granted? For how many years I can stay away from AUS after getting the VISA but without loosing the opportunity to get VISA/PR invalid?
6. What are the disadvantages of getting 176 over getting 175 (I know that with 176 I can work only in respective State but apart from that what are other disadvantages)
7. If I get the visa for one of the states and later on I want to change that to another state..will I have to go through the whole application process?

That's it for now...
Appreciate your help on above questions.

Thanks
Karan
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AUS Immigration Basic Questions (Visa 176)

Originally Posted by Karanverma
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and behind with the details on AUS Skilled Visa. I have very Basic questions and wondering if someone can help me with those.

3. How long usually it take to get state sponsorship and then get the Visa granted?
5. What happens if I do not land to AUS once VISA is granted? For how many years I can stay away from AUS after getting the VISA but without loosing the opportunity to get VISA/PR invalid?
6. What are the disadvantages of getting 176 over getting 175 (I know that with 176 I can work only in respective State but apart from that what are other disadvantages)
7. If I get the visa for one of the states and later on I want to change that to another state..will I have to go through the whole application process?

That's it for now...

Thanks
Karan
Have you read through www.immi.gov.au ? You'll find most of the answers on there. As far as a timeline goes though, no-one can tell you that, its becoming known as the "How long is a piece of string " question.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you read through www.immi.gov.au ? You'll find most of the answers on there. As far as a timeline goes though, no-one can tell you that, its becoming known as the "How long is a piece of string " question.
Thanks Pollyana. Yes few of the questions are answered in the AUS immigration website but I am not sure if I understood those correctly so posted here. Need help with some odd questions too like best state for IT professionals, getting VISA means getting PR...etc..

Eagerly looking for help with all of those. Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2009, 4:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a 'State' question. More of a city question but would assume Sydney/Melbourne with Brissie/Perth/Adelaide behind but that's only because of population numbers

Info on the Immi site

That's a 'piece of string' question

Yes if you've got PR, otherwise it will be a Temp visa

The visa should have a date on it whereby you should be in the country by that date. Generally within a year of the PCC or Meds whichever is earliest.

6. What are the disadvantages of getting 17http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:britishexpats.com/get/forum/images/be/editor/color.gif6 over getting 175 (I know that with 176 I can work only in respective State but apart from that what are other disadvantages)

Info on the Immi site

That's it for now...

Thanks
Karan
You are expected to show committment to the State in question for two years. After that time you can go where you like without having to get another visa. It is wrong imo to apply to more than one State for sponsorship and some States are now advising that if you apply to more than one, they will not look favourably on your application. To show committment means you want to live in that state. Apply to another one as well, or move before the two years is up, is hardly committed so you would not be fulfilling the requirements of the visa.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

ritu1234 will become famous soon enough

Hey,
welcome to our forum,

I think it is my concern,Sydney and Melbourne is good for IT people

You must complete your ACS and now lot of changes in state sponsorship you must just check the state sponsored websites.Latest updates.

Now very long queue so if it will take at least two months or before

Yes 176, visa is PR visa

You must land on particular date mentioned in the visa label you can activate once and you can eligible for five years.It means if you activate and return to your hometown then you must enter before five years time period(I amnt agent you can clarify your immi agent)

I dont think some benefits are not given for ss visa.But no disadvantages.you must live 18 months the nominated place and you dont get the unemployment benefit for first 18 months.

I dont know the answer but you must live atleast 18 months the particular state after only you can change anywhere in austalia

Thanks
Ritu
Tra applied:August 2007,Granted:September 2007,Ve175 : 2007 December,Ielts submitted:Sep2008,Co alloted:Feb23,Rejected due to non Ielts submition on Main application lodged,Reapply ve 175:March 11,2009,State sponsor:Victoria 7th applied,23rd granted,Co alloted:14April 2009,Medical,Pcc,all docs:5th May 2009,
Job verification:????
Visa???:fingerscro ssed:
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ritu1234
Hey,
welcome to our forum,

I think it is my concern,Sydney and Melbourne is good for IT people
Sydney and Melbourne are cities, not states. They are in New South Wales and Victoria.

You must complete your ACS and now lot of changes in state sponsorship you must just check the state sponsored websites.Latest updates.
It depends on what state you plan to apply to. Each has their own criteria.

Now very long queue so if it will take at least two months or before
Again, each state is different. Some are much quicker than others.

Yes 176, visa is PR visa
It depends on whether you apply for a PR visa.

You must land on particular date mentioned in the visa label you can activate once and you can eligible for five years.It means if you activate and return to your hometown then you must enter before five years time period(I amnt agent you can clarify your immi agent)
No, you don't have to land on a particular date. You have to land before a particular date. Your visa will have a "must not enter after xx/xx/xxxx" date on it. You must be in Australia before then or your visa will expire.
I dont think some benefits are not given for ss visa.But no disadvantages.you must live 18 months the nominated place and you dont get the unemployment benefit for first 18 months.
Again, no. You must live in the sponsoring state for 2 years. You are not eligible for social services payments for 2 years on any skilled visa, State sponsored or not.
I dont know the answer but you must live atleast 18 months the particular state after only you can change anywhere in austalia
No, it's not 18 months. Again, it is 2 years. And if you apply for sponsorship to a state you are expected to show committment to that state by living there for the 2 years.
Thanks
Ritu
Tra applied:August 2007,Granted:September 2007,Ve175 : 2007 December,Ielts submitted:Sep2008,Co alloted:Feb23,Rejected due to non Ielts submition on Main application lodged,Reapply ve 175:March 11,2009,State sponsor:Victoria 7th applied,23rd granted,Co alloted:14April 2009,Medical,Pcc,all docs:5th May 2009,
Your timeline stuff should be in your signature by the way.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ritu1234
Hey,
welcome to our forum,

Thanks
Ritu
Thanks Ritu. How long it takes to activate the VISA/PR after landing to AUS?
Also if I can go back to AUS in next five years, how can I make sure that I shall get the validity extended?

I thought one need to work in respective state for at least 2 yrs (24 months) before leaving that state. Is that 18 months or 24 months?

Can't I apply for VISA on my own or it is must/recommended to get the agent?

Thanks you all for your guidance.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ritu. How long it takes to activate the VISA/PR after landing to AUS?
As soon as you pass through Immigration and they stamp your passport.
Also if I can go back to AUS in next five years, how can I make sure that I shall get the validity extended?
Your visa will be valid for re-entry for five years, after that you either need to be a ciizen or have a RRV
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

I thought one need to work in respective state for at least 2 yrs (24 months) before leaving that state. Is that 18 months or 24 months?
I'll leave that one for the State Sponsorship experts
Can't I apply for VISA on my own or it is must/recommended to get the agent?

Thanks you all for your guidance.
Apply on your own by all means, you do not have to use an agent.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As soon as you pass through Immigration and they stamp your passport.

Your visa will be valid for re-entry for five years, after that you either need to be a ciizen or have a RRV
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

I'll leave that one for the State Sponsorship experts

Apply on your own by all means, you do not have to use an agent.
Thanks again Pollyana.

Currently I am in USA and not planning to move in AUS in near future but wanted to get VISA processed as a backup. Based on all the info, it looks like I can get the VISA processed, land in AUS for a day or two and then come back to USA/home country (this is just to get VISA stamped with 5 yr validity). If in worst case I do not come to AUS before the VISA expires (5 Yrs), I still can extend that VISA.

Is my understanding correct?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 7:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again Pollyana.

Currently I am in USA and not planning to move in AUS in near future but wanted to get VISA processed as a backup. Based on all the info, it looks like I can get the VISA processed, land in AUS for a day or two and then come back to USA/home country (this is just to get VISA stamped with 5 yr validity). If in worst case I do not come to AUS before the VISA expires (5 Yrs), I still can extend that VISA.

Is my understanding correct?
No, your understanding is incorrect. If you validate your visa you will then have until 5 years from the date of the grant to move to Australia. If you do not move here in that time and cannot prove susbstantial and beneficial ties to Australia your visa likely will not be extended. You have to actually live in Australia at some point.