Wikiposts

Assurance of Support/138

Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:32 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default Assurance of Support/138

Hi,

I'm going for the 138 subclass, via an uncle.

It appears from the documentation that this visa requires an AoS. Is this correct?

Or would they process my application, and then decide (based on my uncle's position, with regards to capital and status (he's retired/pensioned)) whether or not an AoS is required?

I'd prefer not, as there's 5,000AUD bond tagged onto the AoS

TIA.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assurance of Support/138

Originally Posted by Urno
Hi,

It appears from the documentation that this visa requires an AoS. Is this correct?

Or would they process my application, and then decide (based on my uncle's position, with regards to capital and status (he's retired/pensioned)) whether or not an AoS is required?

TIA.
I've just sent off the application forms for my 138, and I'm pretty much certain an assurer is required. The assurer and sponsor don't necessarily have to be the same person though; you could be sponsored by your uncle, but assured by someone else, perhaps another family member resident in Oz.

cheers
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Originally Posted by spartacus
I've just sent off the application forms for my 138, and I'm pretty much certain an assurer is required. The assurer and sponsor don't necessarily have to be the same person though; you could be sponsored by your uncle, but assured by someone else, perhaps another family member resident in Oz.

cheers
Also the assurer would need to meet a certain level of income over the last 2 years. So you may need someone other than your uncle anyway, but someone else may shed a little more light on this.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:23 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by showdan
Also the assurer would need to meet a certain level of income over the last 2 years. So you may need someone other than your uncle anyway, but someone else may shed a little more light on this.
Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing some more digging, and according to www.centrelink.gov.au (this factsheet in particular: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co148_0407/$file/co148_0407en.pdf)
you *may* be asked to provide the AoS and you *may* be asked to lodge the bond. So, it appears that there are levels of AoS, but real world examples are probably different to what's on the web!

Hopefully at some stage i can prove how much money i intend to bring, and then they won't need it, but that might be wishful thinking

I think i've got a cousin-in-law who could sponsor me....

Urno.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

I've been doing some more digging, and according to www.centrelink.gov.au (this factsheet in particular: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/co148_0407/$file/co148_0407en.pdf)
you *may* be asked to provide the AoS and you *may* be asked to lodge the bond. So, it appears that there are levels of AoS, but real world examples are probably different to what's on the web!

Hopefully at some stage i can prove how much money i intend to bring, and then they won't need it, but that might be wishful thinking

I think i've got a cousin-in-law who could sponsor me....

Urno.
HI Urno

Sorry to be pedantic, but your cousin in law couldn't sponsor you, but they could act as your assurer.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 7:25 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Originally Posted by spartacus
HI Urno

Sorry to be pedantic, but your cousin in law couldn't sponsor you, but they could act as your assurer.
I'm all for pedantry! You're right, i meant that my cousin could be my AoS...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assurance of Support / 138

Hello Urno.

In short, the 138 subclass has a mandatory Assurance of Support requirement => make sure your uncle's assessable income for the last two years as shown on the Tax Assessment Notices following submission of his personal Tax Returns is more than enough. The amount of his capital resources is not relevant - the key number is his assessable income.

See also: http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=391

Best regards.

Hi,

TIA.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:49 am
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

I'm all for pedantry! You're right, i meant that my cousin could be my AoS...

Hi there

My uncle is our sponsor, but unfortunately because he is retired we could not use him as an assuror, our assuror is a family friend. We have just completed our AOS and now wait for the visa. As Alan Collett states it is mandutory to have an AOS and Sponsor on a 138.

Good luck anyway

Hoops (mrs)
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:55 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Originally Posted by hoops
Hi there

My uncle is our sponsor, but unfortunately because he is retired we could not use him as an assuror, our assuror is a family friend. We have just completed our AOS and now wait for the visa. As Alan Collett states it is mandutory to have an AOS and Sponsor on a 138.

Good luck anyway

Hoops (mrs)
Thanks Alan & Mrs Hoops!

So you apply for the visa first, then they ask you for an AoS sometime down the line. Right?

Cheers,

Urno.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:48 am
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Assurance of Support/138

Thanks Alan & Mrs Hoops!

So you apply for the visa first, then they ask you for an AoS sometime down the line. Right?

Cheers,

Urno.
Hi There

Yes, sort of. Be prepared for a long wait (8 1/2 months to date for us) from date of visa lodgement to actually getting your visa granted!!!!

Something to bear in mind - there may be a time limit from when the AOS has their interview with Centrelink to when you have to produce the bond. The visa application may become invalid if you don't provide and Bond within the timelimit - try and get this confirmed by an agent, although it did nearly happen to us.

Best of luck anyway - the wait certainly tests your patience and nerves!!

Hoops (mrs)
Old Jul 27th 2006, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Yes, the AoS is requested later in the process, usually in line with the request for medicals and PCCs. The AoS is 2 steps:

1) The assurer must attend an interview at CentreLink and bring along tax information to be able to prove to CentreLink that their taxable income exceeds a specific level for the past 2 years. Note that it is critical that this is a taxable income level, NOT a gross income level! Also note that the income level depends on various factors, including the size of your assurers family as well as the size of your family.

2) Once the assurer is approved by CentreLink they are requested to deposit the bond amount into an account and bring the documentation of this back to CentreLink. Once this is completed CentreLink sends an approval notification to DIMIA that the AoS is complete.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Brian

Thanks Alan & Mrs Hoops!

Cheers,

Urno.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:21 am
Living & Loving in Perth

Originally Posted by brian0
Yes, the AoS is requested later in the process, usually in line with the request for medicals and PCCs. The AoS is 2 steps:

1) The assurer must attend an interview at CentreLink and bring along tax information to be able to prove to CentreLink that their taxable income exceeds a specific level for the past 2 years. Note that it is critical that this is a taxable income level, NOT a gross income level! Also note that the income level depends on various factors, including the size of your assurers family as well as the size of your family.

2) Once the assurer is approved by CentreLink they are requested to deposit the bond amount into an account and bring the documentation of this back to CentreLink. Once this is completed CentreLink sends an approval notification to DIMIA that the AoS is complete.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Brian
Hi Brian

How long was it after completing the AOS you heard from DIMIA? Sorry just seen your timeline - how come so long?

Hoops (mrs)

Last edited by hoops; Jul 27th 2006 at 6:25 am.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

At the time my brother (my sponsor/assurer) had a long wait to get into CentreLink. Somthing like a 9 week wait for an appointment! It's improved now, but I did mine shortly after they switch from doing AoS internally within DIMIA to the CentreLink model and CentreLink were still getting up to speed I guess. I was also a victim of DIMIA running out of certain types of visas in June 2005. Their new visa year starts on July 1st, so I had to wait 4 or 5 weeks longer as they ran out of skilled visas at the beginning of June apparently (at least for my class).

Cheers,
Brian

Hi Brian

How long was it after completing the AOS you heard from DIMIA? Sorry just seen your timeline - how come so long?

Hoops (mrs)
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:49 am
Living & Loving in Perth

Originally Posted by brian0
At the time my brother (my sponsor/assurer) had a long wait to get into CentreLink. Somthing like a 9 week wait for an appointment! It's improved now, but I did mine shortly after they switch from doing AoS internally within DIMIA to the CentreLink model and CentreLink were still getting up to speed I guess. I was also a victim of DIMIA running out of certain types of visas in June 2005. Their new visa year starts on July 1st, so I had to wait 4 or 5 weeks longer as they ran out of skilled visas at the beginning of June apparently (at least for my class).

Cheers,
Brian
Wow you poor thing, and I thought I had waited a long time!!!! Talk about high stress levels.

Is everything finalised for you? Or do you have more waiting to do?

Lisa
Old Jul 27th 2006, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

No, I'm long done - visa granted back last July (2005). We validated our visas in Feb 2006, although now not sure what the long term plan is. Like some others, things change while the visa is in process which means goals may change also!

Cheers,
Brian

Wow you poor thing, and I thought I had waited a long time!!!! Talk about high stress levels.

Is everything finalised for you? Or do you have more waiting to do?

Lisa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.