Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ASIO Pulled out my case even after the background check was approved- Sept 2010

ASIO Pulled out my case even after the background check was approved- Sept 2010

Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Micropilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation ASIO withdrew my file for further checks even after approved- Sept 2010

Hi Guys,
I am an 856 visa applicant from Iran. I lodged my application in 2007. Since then I have been waiting for the result of my background check. Three weeks ago I was advised by DIAC that my background check result has come back satisfactory and they are now going to finalise the visa. So I did another medical and another police check from AFP. Two days ago they told me that the external agency who did the background check (I believe ASIO) has pulled out the case again for further checks. And they again can't grant the visa till they approve it again.
Does it make sense to you at all????!!!
It was approved after this very long waiting but again is back with them???!!! Why should it be the case??
I am so confused and concerned that it might again take another few years for them to come back to me. And there will be no guarantee that it won't go on and on forever
Any ideads are appreciated......

Last edited by Micropilot; Sep 10th 2010 at 7:06 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ASIO withdrew my file for further checks even after approved- Sept 2010

Originally Posted by Micropilot
Hi Guys,
I am an 856 visa applicant from Iran. I lodged my application in 2007. Since then I have been waiting for the result of my background check. Three weeks ago I was advised by DIAC that my background check result has come back satisfactory and they are now going to finalise the visa. So I did another medical and another police check from AFP. Two days ago they told me that the external agency who did the background check (I believe ASIO) has pulled out the case again for further checks. And they again can't grant the visa till they approve it again.
Does it make sense to you at all????!!!
It was approved after this very long waiting but again is back with them???!!! Why should it be the case??
I am so confused and concerned that it might again take another few years for them to come back to me. And there will be no guarantee that it won't go on and on forever
Any ideads are appreciated......
You need to ask your case officer mate
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: ASIO withdrew my file for further checks even after approved- Sept 2010

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You need to ask your case officer mate
I have spoken to case officer. All she says is that "the case is back with the external agency and I can't provide you with any more details".
I don't really know what is going on there???!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to case officer. All she says is that "the case is back with the external agency and I can't provide you with any more details".
I don't really know what is going on there???!!!!
Sorry mate but nobody here knows either. Obviously DIAC have some more questions about your application so they are continuing to look for suitable answers.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: ASIO withdrew my file for further checks even after approved- Sept 2010

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry mate but nobody here knows either. Obviously DIAC have some more questions about your application so they are continuing to look for suitable answers.
Thanks for the feedback.
Infact what I have been told by the case officer is that this has not been DIAC's request and ASIO has pulled the case out. Could it be possible that ASIO does that? Do they have hthe power to take the case out of DIAC's hand even after they returned it sucessfully once. Or you think DIAC's put through this request (not ASIO) and this is just an excuse from them so that they won't be blamed.???!!
By the way I am currently living in Australia on bridging visa and had been sponsored by my employer in 2005.
Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback.
Infact what I have been told by the case officer is that this has not been DIAC's request and ASIO has pulled the case out. Could it be possible that ASIO does that? Do they have hthe power to take the case out of DIAC's hand even after they returned it sucessfully once. Or you think DIAC's put through this request (not ASIO) and this is just an excuse from them so that they won't be blamed.???!!
By the way I am currently living in Australia on bridging visa and had been sponsored by my employer in 2005.
Thanks
ASIO has the power to do just about anything in the interests of national security, so if they have decided to review your file you will just have to live with that decision.
As to whether it was an ASIO decision or a DIAC one, no-one here is a mindreader.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ASIO Pulled out my case even after the background check was approved- Sept 2010

I think it is a good thing that this has happened, the fact that ASIO has pulled you file again so that it can be double checked means that they are serious about national security. If I thought they would just give you the benefit of the doubt and a 'she will be alright' attitude then I would be more concerned.

If your are 100% you wont have anything to worry about.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: ASIO Pulled out my case even after the background check was approved- Sept 2010

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I think it is a good thing that this has happened, the fact that ASIO has pulled you file again so that it can be double checked means that they are serious about national security. If I thought they would just give you the benefit of the doubt and a 'she will be alright' attitude then I would be more concerned.

If your are 100% you wont have anything to worry about.
Well, I do know they are dead serious about the national security matters. Otherwise they wouldn't have kept me in limbo for three years till now. So what you said "She'll be alright" has definitely NOT been the attitude there and they have fully checked me. I just feel like been humiliated by this when I compare myself to many whom have come here on absolutey no skilled basis and yet professionals like myself have to be desperate for a an answer.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 6:14 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I do know they are dead serious about the national security matters. Otherwise they wouldn't have kept me in limbo for three years till now. So what you said "She'll be alright" has definitely NOT been the attitude there and they have fully checked me. I just feel like been humiliated by this when I compare myself to many whom have come here on absolutey no skilled basis and yet professionals like myself have to be desperate for a an answer.
People who come here on visas other than skilled ones, family for example, are still subject to character and security checks. It is rather insulting to suggest that we have less right to be in the country than you do!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:06 pm
Banned

Nirminseed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People who come here on visas other than skilled ones, family for example, are still subject to character and security checks. It is rather insulting to suggest that we have less right to be in the country than you do!
I may be new, but that's just rude and misplaced. I don't think anyone was suggesting that anyone has any more rights over and above any other person, but if the purpose of the GSM programme is to obtain the brightest and the best, then waiting three years is somewhat excessive and defeats the purpose somewhat. Security checks are not routine, but aimed at certain countries irrespective. If you were a professional from an HR country waiting three years, your opinion would be somewhat different and understandably so. I don't think anyone is arguing with the need for security checks, but they should be done in timely fashion.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:14 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Nirminseed
I may be new, but that's just rude and misplaced. I don't think anyone was suggesting that anyone has any more rights over and above any other person, but if the purpose of the GSM programme is to obtain the brightest and the best, then waiting three years is somewhat excessive and defeats the purpose somewhat. Security checks are not routine, but aimed at certain countries irrespective. If you were a professional from an HR country waiting three years, your opinion would be somewhat different and understandably so. I don't think anyone is arguing with the need for security checks, but they should be done in timely fashion.
If you read the quoted post, the OP clearly said "I just feel like been humiliated by this when I compare myself to many whom have come here on absolutey no skilled basis and yet professionals like myself have to be desperate for a an answer".
Believe me after many years of being sworn at and insulted on this forum I am quite surprised to find that I still feel a deep sympathy for those people who have to go through prolonged security checks, but strangely enough I DO still feel that sympathy. However migrants who come here on a non-skills basis are just as valid a part of society as any other, and I really can't see why a) he/she feels the need to make that comparison and b) what it has to do with security checks anyway! Those checks are made on family stream migrants as well, one Spouse visa sponsor in particular comes to mind who posted on here for many many months while awaiting her husband's visa.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:18 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Nirminseed
I would also like to point out that previously banned members are not welcome on BE.
Please close the door behind you on your way out.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: ASIO Pulled out my case even after the background check was approved- Sept 2010

I would also like to point out that previously banned members are not welcome on BE.
Please close the door behind you on your way out.
bazinga!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

If you read the quoted post, the OP clearly said "I just feel like been humiliated by this when I compare myself to many whom have come here on absolutey no skilled basis and yet professionals like myself have to be desperate for a an answer".
Believe me after many years of being sworn at and insulted on this forum I am quite surprised to find that I still feel a deep sympathy for those people who have to go through prolonged security checks, but strangely enough I DO still feel that sympathy. However migrants who come here on a non-skills basis are just as valid a part of society as any other, and I really can't see why a) he/she feels the need to make that comparison and b) what it has to do with security checks anyway! Those checks are made on family stream migrants as well, one Spouse visa sponsor in particular comes to mind who posted on here for many many months while awaiting her husband's visa.
Hi Pollyana,
I guess you just completely mis-interpreted my comments. Whilst I appreciate your rights to be upset, I have to say that I have seen living proofs of what I mentioned. I didn't mean those who come here on marriage basis etc... Of course those people are legal. However I have seen a few people from the same middle eastern backgrounds (embarrasing for me to say that) coming here on visitor visas and since they loved the country, the decided to find a way to stay. And guess what they did. Since they all knew how much trouble we (legal immigrants) are through to get the visa with all our qualifications, they have become christian and applied for religious based asylum. Then claimed that if they go back , they would get killed by the islamic governments. So you see there are ALOT of grey areas in the law where people use (better to say abuse) to stay in the country. You sound so defensive in your words about how efficient this selection system is and that's where -with all respect- I have to disagree with you. I know many of these people in personal level and I know they are now on government pension, they have got a family to run yet with no qualification to work here or even good communication skills.
Thanks alot and it'll be my last email in this forum.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:03 am
Home and Happy

Hi Pollyana,
I guess you just completely mis-interpreted my comments. Whilst I appreciate your rights to be upset, I have to say that I have seen living proofs of what I mentioned. I didn't mean those who come here on marriage basis etc... Of course those people are legal. However I have seen a few people from the same middle eastern backgrounds (embarrasing for me to say that) coming here on visitor visas and since they loved the country, the decided to find a way to stay. And guess what they did. Since they all knew how much trouble we (legal immigrants) are through to get the visa with all our qualifications, they have become christian and applied for religious based asylum. Then claimed that if they go back , they would get killed by the islamic governments. So you see there are ALOT of grey areas in the law where people use (better to say abuse) to stay in the country. You sound so defensive in your words about how efficient this selection system is and that's where -with all respect- I have to disagree with you. I know many of these people in personal level and I know they are now on government pension, they have got a family to run yet with no qualification to work here or even good communication skills.
Thanks alot and it'll be my last email in this forum.
I'm certainly not defending ANYONE who gets here by illegal or dubious means, I was referring more to those of us who came on family stream visas, as opposed to skills visas. Thanks for clarifying your post, makes a lot more sense now