April 2008 Applicants

Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

T-bird will become famous soon enoughT-bird will become famous soon enough
Default Re: April 2008 Applicants

Hi everyone
I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm reading the forum everyday and thought it would be nice to actually take part.

My husband and I applied for our 175 in April - he's a vet, I'm going as a spouse. Not Knowing the system that well, we did our police checks before submitting (March) and our medicals as soon as the forms came through (May).

Having read all of the threads, I can see that was probably a mistake. I'm hoping that we can resubmit our police checks and get to Oz in time before the medical timeline runs out.

Worries:
- we wanted to travel for 8 weeks en route, but by the time our visas come through and I've given 3 months notice at work, that might not be possible.
- British economy - we want to keep our flat and rent it out, but am worried interest rates will go up and our mortgage will be a lot higher than what we can get in rent - which would mean paying out on mortgage here, based on Aus$ earnings (ouch!)
- I recently got promoted and am worried that giving up my job and moving to the other side of the world in the current climate might be a mistake. I also hope, but doubt, I can get an equally good job in Oz so that it doesn't set back my career.

Having said all of that, it will all be worth it when we get there. It's very comforting that there has been a step-up in activity over the past few days.

It's also very comforting reading about people in the same boat. And the info on here helps me keep informed about what's going on.

So thanks everyone, and I look forward to chatting.

T-bird
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by T-bird
Hi everyone
I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm reading the forum everyday and thought it would be nice to actually take part.

My husband and I applied for our 175 in April - he's a vet, I'm going as a spouse. Not Knowing the system that well, we did our police checks before submitting (March) and our medicals as soon as the forms came through (May).

Having read all of the threads, I can see that was probably a mistake. I'm hoping that we can resubmit our police checks and get to Oz in time before the medical timeline runs out.

Worries:
- we wanted to travel for 8 weeks en route, but by the time our visas come through and I've given 3 months notice at work, that might not be possible.
- British economy - we want to keep our flat and rent it out, but am worried interest rates will go up and our mortgage will be a lot higher than what we can get in rent - which would mean paying out on mortgage here, based on Aus$ earnings (ouch!)
- I recently got promoted and am worried that giving up my job and moving to the other side of the world in the current climate might be a mistake. I also hope, but doubt, I can get an equally good job in Oz so that it doesn't set back my career.

Having said all of that, it will all be worth it when we get there. It's very comforting that there has been a step-up in activity over the past few days.

It's also very comforting reading about people in the same boat. And the info on here helps me keep informed about what's going on.

So thanks everyone, and I look forward to chatting.

T-bird
Welcome to the April Thread, T-Bird. I'm glad you introduced yourself.

With all your worries, you might want to consider validating the visa then returning to your life for a couple of years. You know that the visa is good for 5 years once it's validated, right?

You could put in a vacation request at work now for Christmas or January then go on a reccie trip. It could help alleviate some of the worries. You'll get a chance to scout around, check the job ads, housing prices, cost of living first hand. Also could provide enough time for the economy to improve.

Something to consider.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Hello T-bird, I was going to say the same as Tiger222, if you feel unsure about the UK property market, just validate your visa, though once you get out there you may not wish to come back! Medicals and police checks are valid for a year, so you may still be ok.
Where are you thinking about living once you are out there?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Still VERY EARLY but the count so far for the 3rd of July is:
1 Visa Grant for October Paper based
2 Visa Grants for August.

Keep them rolling!!!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Geelong and Tiger for your posts

I didn't know the visa was valid for five years - thanks for that, it's useful to know. Although I can't see us waiting to go out any longer than necessary!

A reccie is a very good idea though and would help with the waiting / ease some of the worries. I must admit, my husband is more worried about the finances, than I am - but it's starting to rub off.

We're heading for Sydney. We do have some friends in Melbourne and Sydney, some working in my industry. So I do have some contacts and they say the market is very bouyant at the moment. It's nice because we also have friends to stay with for the first couple of weeks, while we find our feet.

Anyone else looking at Sydney? I've been checking out places to live. Balmain, Paddington and Neutral Bay have all been recommended. I dream about getting a 15 minute water bus to work, as opposed to my 90 minute (each way) commute, that I do now.

Right, best get back to the real world and get ready for work.

Bye for now, T-bird
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I didn't know the visa was valid for five years - thanks for that, it's useful to know. Although I can't see us waiting to go out any longer than necessary!

A reccie is a very good idea though and would help with the waiting / ease some of the worries. I must admit, my husband is more worried about the finances, than I am - but it's starting to rub off.

We're heading for Sydney. We do have some friends in Melbourne and Sydney, some working in my industry. So I do have some contacts and they say the market is very bouyant at the moment. It's nice because we also have friends to stay with for the first couple of weeks, while we find our feet.

Anyone else looking at Sydney? I've been checking out places to live. Balmain, Paddington and Neutral Bay have all been recommended. I dream about getting a 15 minute water bus to work, as opposed to my 90 minute (each way) commute, that I do now.

Bye for now, T-bird
T-bird -

It's great that you have friends in Sydney where you want to live. They will be able to help you immeasurably.

A 15 minute water bus commute would be a dream compared to what you're experiencing now!

Sorry, can't help with Sydney. We're looking at Brisbane.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

heamish will become famous soon enough

Bye for now, T-bird
Alright T-Bird,
Just to let you know that I'll be heading down Sydney way as well. Can't wait, itching to go as soon as the Visa is stamped in the passport. I also have relations/friends out there who have been living there years. Hard to know yet where to settle as the internet does not paint the full picture. Seriously considering one of the South City burbs though, somewhere close to water and not too la de da if you know what I mean.
Best of luck,
Seamus
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Sorry T-Bird, can't help you with Sydney either, we are hoping to go to Geelong, an hour outside Melbourne.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Unofficial Visa Count for the 4th of July:

1 November 2007 (Applicant from Brazil)
1 August 2007

Add another August for 3rd of July
Add a June 2007 Visa Grant for the 2nd of July
Plus CO for 2 DECEMBER applicants!!
and DECEMBER Business Visa Issued this week to someone who doesn't post on BE

Overall 21 VISA GRANTS (that we know of) - an outstanding week!!

Let's have a REPEAT for Next WEEK

Last edited by tiger222; Jul 4th 2008 at 4:32 pm. Reason: Weekly total
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by heamish
Alright T-Bird,
Just to let you know that I'll be heading down Sydney way as well. Can't wait, itching to go as soon as the Visa is stamped in the passport. I also have relations/friends out there who have been living there years. Hard to know yet where to settle as the internet does not paint the full picture. Seriously considering one of the South City burbs though, somewhere close to water and not too la de da if you know what I mean.
Best of luck,
Seamus
Hi Seamus
Thanks for your message. A couple of my friends live in Lilyfield. Apparently, it's close to Balmain, but not as la-de-da! Not too expensive either.

Are you planning a reccie - or just going to head straight there? Have you spent much time in Sydney?

T-bird
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

heamish will become famous soon enough

Hi Seamus
Thanks for your message. A couple of my friends live in Lilyfield. Apparently, it's close to Balmain, but not as la-de-da! Not too expensive either.

Are you planning a reccie - or just going to head straight there? Have you spent much time in Sydney?

T-bird
T-Bird,
I'm going to head straight there and do some research when I get there. I won't settle in any area straight off until I've done plenty of research. I've been to Sydney for 3 weeks previous and loved the buzz around the place. Still don't know whether we'll settle in Sydney for the long haul but we'll certainly give it a shot...
All the best,
Heamish
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

T-Bird.

In next month's Australia and New Zealand magazine they will be featuring Sydney suburbs. It's usually out in the first week of the month.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Heamish - and anyone else heading Sydney way... my friend sent me some commentary on places to live. It's only one person's opinion, but might be worth saving and digging out at a later date.

T-bird

We live in Lilyfield - Just off the Balmain peninsula. We're a bit set back, but it's still only 10 mins drive into the CBD (Central Business District) and very pretty and residential down by the water - 10minutes walk to the nearest pub but despite that we're coping!!

Lilyfield / Leichhardt is little Italy - fab cheap and cheerful restaurants galore - rental is average (ours used to be $330 per week for a 2 bedroom detached house although rentals are going up at the moment)

Rozelle /Balmain - full of wealthy pohms and the best pork pie shops for miles (due to the large population of british) It's full of very wa*ky shops, eco hippy style fashions, 4 wheel drive push chairs and bikram yoghurt. It's actually very nice, just a tad on the expensive side - lots of cafe culture, bars and restaurant nightlife.

Surry Hills is very central and has mixed areas, from swanky chic to scary druggy. It's a bit more like the Camden end of Sydney

Darlinghurst / Kings Cross, also very central and more clubby - very load with lots going on but can be a little divey.

Paddington - the posh end of King Cross. Central, fab fashion shopping and good pubs. Probably on a par with Balmain for expense (so a tad pricey) but central and a really nice vibe.

Bondi, Bronte way are very transient - more short term studenty. Although if you're looking for sea, surf and that typically aussie feel, that's your place. apparently prices vary around there. You basically get what you pay for from student type living upwards.

Word of advice, bring 12 months worth of BT /gas / lecky bills etc and proof of your mortgage / rental agreement. When you start looking for rentals if there's more than 1 party interested it becomes a bit of a competitive situation where you have to prove you're worth the investment.

Have a look at http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent so you can get an idea of what you can get bang for your buck!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Unofficial Visa Count for 7th of July
1 August 2007
1 November 2007

CO for 3 December Applicant

A little too quite. I'd guess there are a couple more that haven't reported in yet. Stay tuned...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Dodge38 will become famous soon enough

Morning Tiger!!

You are on the ball this morning...I have just checked numbers too!!

Dodge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.