April 2008 Applicants

Old May 27th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of
Default Re: April 2008 Applicants

Originally Posted by twinsmom65
Hey Tiger,

Are you not working either???, okay I am working, but not really, spending way too much time on this site... Am a little addicited.. How are things in Wisconsin???? Things in Southern Ontario not too bad... at least the weather is not bad.

Hopefully in another month or two once the backlog goes through we might see some movement on the newer applicants eh!!

Well take care, just poking around the site until my client shows (if they show)

Karen
Karen -

I'm a SAHM with a preschooler and a toddler to care for. In the AM, I can have some computer time while the toddler goes down for his AM nap. Later I won't have the luxury!

I just called ANZ bank in New York, it's Tuesday Morning at 10:30 New York time - and didn't receive an answer. I find that quite odd. I was looking to open an account with them to transfer some US dollars to Aus dollars before it goes to parity - not long before that happens. I had written an email to the Account Person who takes care of such accounts on May 8 and did not receive an response so thought I'd follow up. Quite strange.

Marketwatch . com had an article online over the weekend saying there were going to be bank failures soon - do you think ANZ is one of the casualties?
Old May 27th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tiger222
Karen -

I'm a SAHM with a preschooler and a toddler to care for. In the AM, I can have some computer time while the toddler goes down for his AM nap. Later I won't have the luxury!

I just called ANZ bank in New York, it's Tuesday Morning at 10:30 New York time - and didn't receive an answer. I find that quite odd. I was looking to open an account with them to transfer some US dollars to Aus dollars before it goes to parity - not long before that happens. I had written an email to the Account Person who takes care of such accounts on May 8 and did not receive an response so thought I'd follow up. Quite strange.

Marketwatch . com had an article online over the weekend saying there were going to be bank failures soon - do you think ANZ is one of the casualties?

Hey good news my client showed up and I am going to be signing him up in another week or two (I am a bankruptcy administrator!!!).

Not sure if I have heard anything about ANZ, I know that the Canadian Banks are about to release their second quater earnings today, and I think that they will be doing okay.

I am not sure how worldwide banks have been affected by the US credit crunch and the subprime mortgage fiasco. In Canada, we would never have that happen here, as there are stingent measures in place for our mortgages, e.g. if you do not have 75% has a downpayment, your mortgage must be insured by CMCH or Genworth, and you have to pay a premium of 2.5% on top of your mortgage.

Is there any other Aussie Banks you could use. I know that we will not be opening one until we get down there and we will probably be using Wespac. What the hell is happening with the US dollar???, god I can't remember a time when we were at par (I have been in Canada for 27 years), and yet in the lat year, I have seen the Canadian dollar not only at par but above. I still remember getting some US cash in February, and the Canadian dollar was actually worth 7 cents higher than the US.

I think you will be glad to be moving from the US, at least for a little while. I can't see much improvement for at least another couple of years.

Are you involved in watching the policitial debates, have you decided on who you are voting for. Sorry but anyone will be better than Bush (sorry to offend if you are a Bush fan).

Well I am off to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. Need to check out and see if they have any sinks. We kinda ruined ours when we tried to do our countertop last month (hint... do not use stone-effects... made it worse and now have to spend an additional $850.00 to get new countertops put in).

Well take care, glad you are able to have some time to yourself. I remember those days, lucky for me my twins are now 14, so have alot more spare time to myself. Took a long time coming mind you.

Take care and chat soon.

Karen
Old May 27th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twinsmom65
Hey good news my client showed up and I am going to be signing him up in another week or two (I am a bankruptcy administrator!!!).

Not sure if I have heard anything about ANZ, I know that the Canadian Banks are about to release their second quater earnings today, and I think that they will be doing okay.

I am not sure how worldwide banks have been affected by the US credit crunch and the subprime mortgage fiasco. In Canada, we would never have that happen here, as there are stingent measures in place for our mortgages, e.g. if you do not have 75% has a downpayment, your mortgage must be insured by CMCH or Genworth, and you have to pay a premium of 2.5% on top of your mortgage.

Is there any other Aussie Banks you could use. I know that we will not be opening one until we get down there and we will probably be using Wespac. What the hell is happening with the US dollar???, god I can't remember a time when we were at par (I have been in Canada for 27 years), and yet in the lat year, I have seen the Canadian dollar not only at par but above. I still remember getting some US cash in February, and the Canadian dollar was actually worth 7 cents higher than the US.

I think you will be glad to be moving from the US, at least for a little while. I can't see much improvement for at least another couple of years.
Wow a Bankruptcy administrator....that will be big right now! The US passed a law a couple of years ago making bankruptcy more difficult. I know there are a lot of people looking at it even with the new hurdles.

Yes, there are other Australian banks to use, I'm looking at HSBC right now. I might call ANZ in Australia later today to see what's up.

The US lenders require mortgage insurance on homes financed over 80% and the borrower has to pay the mortgage insurance fee too. That's not the problem.

The problem with the credit crisis is that too many people were sold a bill of goods - without verifying anything about them - income, employment, credit in some cases. A lot of "interest only" loans, "no doc" loans, and adjustable rate mortgages ARM where the borrower might not have understood the implications of what their payment would do when interest rates went up. There was a lot of fast selling and everything got wrapped up into these fancy packages and sold on the open markets with AAA insurance covering them. A lot of institutions - banks, governments, pension groups - bought these thinking they were "safe". But when the ARMs adjusted, and people started walking away from the house, and the housing market went south, the banks had to write off the loans. They then turned to the insurance companies for reimbursement - but they started to fold too. Then there's the whole liquidity issue - that I won't get into because I've already made some readers eyes roll into the back of their heads!
Old May 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

twinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nicetwinsmom65 is just really nice

Wow a Bankruptcy administrator....that will be big right now! The US passed a law a couple of years ago making bankruptcy more difficult. I know there are a lot of people looking at it even with the new hurdles.

Yes, there are other Australian banks to use, I'm looking at HSBC right now. I might call ANZ in Australia later today to see what's up.

The US lenders require mortgage insurance on homes financed over 80% and the borrower has to pay the mortgage insurance fee too. That's not the problem.

The problem with the credit crisis is that too many people were sold a bill of goods - without verifying anything about them - income, employment, credit in some cases. A lot of "interest only" loans, "no doc" loans, and adjustable rate mortgages ARM where the borrower might not have understood the implications of what their payment would do when interest rates went up. There was a lot of fast selling and everything got wrapped up into these fancy packages and sold on the open markets with AAA insurance covering them. A lot of institutions - banks, governments, pension groups - bought these thinking they were "safe". But when the ARMs adjusted, and people started walking away from the house, and the housing market went south, the banks had to write off the loans. They then turned to the insurance companies for reimbursement - but they started to fold too. Then there's the whole liquidity issue - that I won't get into because I've already made some readers eyes roll into the back of their heads!
Thanks for the reply, let me know how you make out with ANZ, I hope that they are okay.

Yes I am a bankruptcy administrator.. have been for almost seventeen years (yawn yawn), it is busy, but not too bad. Last month was nutty I was seeing almost six to seven clients a day. Not too bad this month only 3 or 4 a day.

I am actually looking to get out of the bankruptcy gig (I think 17 years is long enough), so looking at a couple of different options for when we move to Oz. One of them is being an executive assistant. I have more than enough qualifications for that position, also another area I am looking into is recruitment (job agency type of thing), I love dealing with people and I also love to market, so it might be a good area to get into.

I could always try and do bankruptcy in Australia, their law is based on the British System the same as Canada, so I don't think it would too hard to pick up on. Just different case laws. At least they use the same terminology in Australia. I used to find it funny when I would get calls from Creditors in the states and ask if my clients were doing Chapter 13 or Chapter 11 bankruptcies. Sorry people if I am boring you, now you know how I feel at work LOL

Luckily I knew what a Chapter 13 and a Chapter 11 bankruptcy was.

How is the weather in Wisconsin...today it is sunny but not as warm. Can't wait for the really nice weather. My heating is still coming on at night and tonight they are calling for frost. ERGH.....

Take care

Karen
Old May 27th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

And here's the Wiki link for tailgate parties! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailgate_party
We don't really do Tailgate parties here although I do understand why so many Americans have pickup trucks!
We went to Florida about 11 years ago and on a bit of a whim (I know we should never have considered missing it) we made the 120 mile round trip from Orlando to watch a shuttle take off. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life (we could feel the heat 4 miles away). Anyway, back to the story, there were so many people parked up on the side of the road having their own little tailgate parties but my favourite was the British guy stood on the top of his hired people carrier complete with camera and tripod taking photos of the launch pad while his mother, wife and children milled around next to the car looking a bit bored!

Charlene
Old May 27th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future

You're right N, this waiting is painful! With no movement for over a month, I'm beginning to wonder too.

There's supposed to be an additional 6,000 visas issues by the end of June - so hopefully that will move us up BEFORE the end of the fiscal year. The new Fiscal year begins July 1.

On the Processing Times thread, there was an August 29 applicant with a Visa posted recently. Because of the change in the law beginning September 1, people applied for Visas just before that deadline. So there was a large backlog. So if they're on to Aug 29, that means that is almost through! (Hopefully)

All we can do is hope and get ready.

My OH is getting a little depressed at the prospect of going through another Wisconsin Winter!
It's all a bit bonkers Tiger. If you look the the visa timelines people have posted, most online October applicants have started to get their visas now. This is in line with what I heard at a seminar in April from a Govt official who said they were looking to get applications through in 6 to 9 months.
It's just a waiting game until you get a CO then it's full steam ahead but that probably won't happen until 4 months or so after your application.

Just think, once I get my visa granted I have to give 3 months notice on my job! All I'll want to do at that point is jump on the first plane out of here!

Keep busy and keep (in)sane.
£276 made on ebay this weekend selling tat we no longer need

Charlene
Old May 28th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CharleneG
It's all a bit bonkers Tiger. If you look the the visa timelines people have posted, most online October applicants have started to get their visas now. This is in line with what I heard at a seminar in April from a Govt official who said they were looking to get applications through in 6 to 9 months.
It's just a waiting game until you get a CO then it's full steam ahead but that probably won't happen until 4 months or so after your application.

Just think, once I get my visa granted I have to give 3 months notice on my job! All I'll want to do at that point is jump on the first plane out of here!

Keep busy and keep (in)sane.
£276 made on ebay this weekend selling tat we no longer need

Charlene
Wow, Charlene, you know how to market on Ebay! That's great! Congratulations.

hmmm....3 months notice sounds like a LONG time. Do you have to train your replacement? I think I would give notice the minute I got a CO - not wait until I actually had the visa. With 3 months notice, you'd still have some time to work after the Visa was granted - but it wouldn't be as crazy!

If the 4 month mark is when CO appears on the scene, I'm almost 1/2 way there - it'll be 2 months on Monday (next). But the February list doesn't report that they have COs - so maybe things are slower then they should be

I read on the December thread that there was a new computer system installed recently (like the 25 or 26th) and that was supposed to speed things up (here's hoping)
Old May 28th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CharleneG
We don't really do Tailgate parties here although I do understand why so many Americans have pickup trucks!
We went to Florida about 11 years ago and on a bit of a whim (I know we should never have considered missing it) we made the 120 mile round trip from Orlando to watch a shuttle take off. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life (we could feel the heat 4 miles away). Anyway, back to the story, there were so many people parked up on the side of the road having their own little tailgate parties but my favourite was the British guy stood on the top of his hired people carrier complete with camera and tripod taking photos of the launch pad while his mother, wife and children milled around next to the car looking a bit bored!

Charlene
Great picture you painted! I can just see the kids kicking stones by the side of the road, waiting for dad to finish...lol...too funny
Old May 28th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

I was reading the November thread and saw that someone was asked to sign the "Australian Values Statement". Then I looked at the BE timelines website and saw several indicate that they had signed and front loaded the "Australian Values Statement"

It got me thinking that perhaps that's something we should research and possibly front load. The "Life in Australia" booklet, which contains the statement indicates that online applicants press an indicator that they agree - but the November applicants said there was a "computer error" and they had to sign a paper statement.

Any thoughts?
Old May 28th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

De Mange will become famous soon enoughDe Mange will become famous soon enough

Charlene -

That's interesting to me. How do car boot sales work? Are their designated locations for people to drive to with their stuff in the car? Then they set their stuff out behind the car?

That reminds me of Tailgate parties. Do you guys have Tailgate parties before sporting events?
No, we just normally get drunk and sing a lot.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Well it's my turn to say G'day then!! I am wondering why there's not so many people here in 'April'....oh well, more office workers for us if there's not so many people applying in April eh? Or is it that 'Aprilers' are just a shy bunch?

So........I am Lisa, 37, Husband Paul, 38, Son Lloyd,18, Daughter Maddison,14

We have been talking seriously for approx 2 years about Oz....firstly we were going on a state sponsored visa to Adelaide...then an uncle of Paul's (who lives in Sydney) offered to sponsor us!! Unbelievable really as we've never met the guy!! So it's a 176 family sponsored visa....Paul has an MBA so that gave us 50points. He's an operations/production Manager.
So approx this time last year we started the ball rolling! Vetassess passed in May, agent appointed Sept, IELTS sat Feb, application submitted April 26th!
We've sent off for our police checks...should be another 2wks at the most!
Last Fri we all went for our meds....our son has an 'hypo-plastic' hand so we were worrying a little......the doc put our minds at rest though!

We are looking at moving to Perth....although ultimately where Paul can find work will matter the most!
We have 2 dogs to think about too!!
We have sold our house in Cyprus, but our house in the U.. (Blackburn) is taking longer to sell than we had hoped! (Been on market TWO bloody years!! Needs NOTHING doing to it...had all 3 bathrooms replaced etc!)

Well, bye for now,
Lisa,x

PS We DID have to do Form 80!
Old May 28th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snoo
Well it's my turn to say G'day then!! I am wondering why there's not so many people here in 'April'....oh well, more office workers for us if there's not so many people applying in April eh? Or is it that 'Aprilers' are just a shy bunch?

We have been talking seriously for approx 2 years about Oz....firstly we were going on a state sponsored visa to Adelaide...then an uncle of Paul's (who lives in Sydney) offered to sponsor us!! Unbelievable really as we've never met the guy!! So it's a 176 family sponsored visa....Paul has an MBA so that gave us 50points. He's an operations/production Manager.
So approx this time last year we started the ball rolling! Vetassess passed in May, agent appointed Sept, IELTS sat Feb, application submitted April 26th!
Last Fri we all went for our meds....our son has an 'hypo-plastic' hand so we were worrying a little......the doc put our minds at rest though!

We are looking at moving to Perth....although ultimately where Paul can find work will matter the most!
We have sold our house in Cyprus, but our house in the U.. (Blackburn) is taking longer to sell than we had hoped! (Been on market TWO bloody years!! Needs NOTHING doing to it...had all 3 bathrooms replaced etc!)

Well, bye for now,
Lisa,x

Welcome to our little gang Lisa.
It sounds as though your application is wizzing along, I guess it just goes to show the differences between the different types work in different ways. From what I've read it depends on the type of visa you are applying for as to whether you have to the Form 80 or just sign the Australian Values Form.
We looked at Adelaide to start with but the jobs market wasn't really strong enouigh for both of us (I'm a financial controller, OH is a recruitment consultant) so we've opted for Melbourne although I have an Aunt and Uncle in Adelaide so i'm sure I'll get there fairly quickly even if it's for a weekend.

Do you have any idea when you will get your visa granted?

Are you going to wait until you sell your house before you go or can you consider renting it out? We are just down the road, just north of Rochdale and the housing market is not moving here so rather than face losing money on a house we know is worth every penny we are going to rent it out for a while as we are planning to rent in Aus for up to 2 years anyway.

Welcome to the April thread

Charlene and Chris
Old May 29th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Well, bye for now,
Lisa,x

Snoo - aka Lisa -

I think the Aprilers are out sunning themselves while they wait My theory is that they will come around eventually. Thanks for introducing yourself!

My husband and I are in the US with 4 children, ages 10, 7, 5, and 1. We applied on April 1 US - which is April 2 in Aus. OH is a Java Programmer. We sent off for our PCCs 2 weeks ago. The FBI website said 4-6 weeks. Not in any rush for those. We have our Meds scheduled for June 21.

Sorry to hear that your house sale is so challenging! I cannot imagine having it on the market for 2 years!

Our house is NOT on the sale market - but I do have it up for rent. It's not that I don't think it will sell - I do think it will - I just want a place to come back to, in the event things do go as planned/hoped. We are doing some improvements, expecting that we will sell it sometime soon - in the next year or less.

Regarding Form 80 - did you complete it on the advise/requirement of your agent? Is your application elodged or paper?

Look forward to sharing this journey with you, Lisa.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

hello again guys.

Hi Charlene in sunny Rochdale (always reminds me of 'Two Pints...haha!....That's a T.V. show for those outside UK!!)
This is my house on Rightmove....can anyone tell me why it won't sell???? It's a nice area, good schools, motorway link 2 mins away, dropped price 12 grand!!!! I'm just stunned!!!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

We would like to sell really, we have had a house/villa in cyprus for a few years that we rented out short and long term and to be honest it was a complete hassel!Paul had to fly over twice to sort out idiots! I would rather sell and have the money earning interest for us!
I don't think that we are going any quicker than anyone else with the visa are we? I think it just sounds like it when you read it!! HAHA! We were told 4months approx til we hear from a c/o....so that's 3 months now. We've got everything else done, so should be fairly quick after c/o assigned I hope!
Lloyd is on our visa as a dependant...and is just inbetween college and Uni, so that's a bit of a pain. Obviously we don't want him to start Uni (because of the fees really) and then have to finish a couple o months later!! So he'll go back to college and tell them he wants to re-sit. The only prob there is that if for any reason (god forbid!!) we don't get the visa, then he'll be in limbo and a year behind his mates!!
We would like to be in Oz in Jan so that Maddy can start the school year at the end of Jan....which is when Australian kids start the school year as we do in Sept!

Hi Tig!! Yes the form 80 was sent by agents, all of us (except Maddy) had to fill it in!! And it's e-lodged! We haven't had an acknowledgement.....I'm presuming the agent got the ack email....I've just emailed her to ask her! So we'll just wait patiently now and keep researching info on site's like this! I've ordered a few DVD's and books to keep us going!! As soon as we get a c/o we will have to start with the dog's visa's!!

Thanks for the welcome....speak soon guys, Lisa,x
Old May 29th 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hello again guys.

Hi Charlene in sunny Rochdale (always reminds me of 'Two Pints...haha!....That's a T.V. show for those outside UK!!)
This is my house on Rightmove....can anyone tell me why it won't sell???? It's a nice area, good schools, motorway link 2 mins away, dropped price 12 grand!!!! I'm just stunned!!!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...a_n=1&tr_t=buy

We would like to sell really, we have had a house/villa in cyprus for a few years that we rented out short and long term and to be honest it was a complete hassel!Paul had to fly over twice to sort out idiots! I would rather sell and have the money earning interest for us!
I don't think that we are going any quicker than anyone else with the visa are we? I think it just sounds like it when you read it!! HAHA! We were told 4months approx til we hear from a c/o....so that's 3 months now. We've got everything else done, so should be fairly quick after c/o assigned I hope!
Lloyd is on our visa as a dependant...and is just inbetween college and Uni, so that's a bit of a pain. Obviously we don't want him to start Uni (because of the fees really) and then have to finish a couple o months later!! So he'll go back to college and tell them he wants to re-sit. The only prob there is that if for any reason (god forbid!!) we don't get the visa, then he'll be in limbo and a year behind his mates!!
We would like to be in Oz in Jan so that Maddy can start the school year at the end of Jan....which is when Australian kids start the school year as we do in Sept!

Hi Tig!! Yes the form 80 was sent by agents, all of us (except Maddy) had to fill it in!! And it's e-lodged! We haven't had an acknowledgement.....I'm presuming the agent got the ack email....I've just emailed her to ask her! So we'll just wait patiently now and keep researching info on site's like this! I've ordered a few DVD's and books to keep us going!! As soon as we get a c/o we will have to start with the dog's visa's!!

Thanks for the welcome....speak soon guys, Lisa,x
Lisa -

I love your sunroom!! Very inviting. Is your clothes washer in the kitchen? That's unusual to me (from the states). We have our clothes washer and dryer in the basement. Many here have a separate room on the 1st floor.

OK, you just confirmed that the Form 80 was completed because the AGENT required it - not the CO.

If it's to be 4 months from Lodging application to hearing from CO, then they are really behind as the Timeline website shows only November applicants receiving CO (many in March) but not the December applicants. Hopefully the new computer system and extra personnel will speed things up. I haven't seen much movement since we lodged on April 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.