April 2008 Applicants

Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:03 pm
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of
Default Re: April 2008 Applicants

Originally Posted by hanwilt
We find out so much about everyone then it goes much quieter once they make the move. Although I know in short term rental internet connections are not always easy
That's one reason I've stayed on this thread even after we've arrived (two months and two weeks now); I'm guessing those about to arrive may have questions that I could help answer.

Cheers
b
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by T-bird
Good one you. I know that tiger's updates were such a big deal when we were waiting for our visas, so well done for taking on such a worthwhile role!

Now, tiger... Where is your update on living in oz? We wait with baited breath!

T-bird
Wow you guys, what a sweet chat regarding my whereabouts and circumstances. I am blushing from all the attention! It's humbling to know that I'm being thought about - even after all this time.

For a brief update:

We arrived in Brisbane on 25 November. Prior to our arrival, I bought a car with the help of a mechanic. It was delivered to us at our rental. It was nice to have the car because we have 4 children and getting to the grocery store was simplified. We learned how to drive in that car - in our quiet streets. We lived in a holiday rental for 3 weeks. During that time, I explored different areas around Brisbane looking for a permanent home.

Meanwhile, my husband was looking for a job. It was very difficult to conduct a job search because we did not have internet access. We had signed up with Dodo but that turned out to be a scam. The number never worked. We could not get mobile internet because we could not get a contract because no job. It was the most frustrating aspect of our first several weeks here - lack of internet.

My husband was told time and again that there were not many opportunities for him at that time. We had to make a decision whether we would settle and wait for things to change, or look for an opportunity in Sydney. Not knowing when the Brisbane Job Market might change, we decided to go with Sydney.

Dave received a response to his resume within 10 minutes of making himself available in the Sydney market. Within 1 hour, they wanted him in Sydney for an interview. He interviewed and got the job. However the start date was 12 January, and it was 10 December.

Because we had the car, we decided we would have to drive down. It was an exhilarating drive down the coast. We saw a lot of beautiful wild Australia.

We arrived in Terrigal in New South Wales' Central Coast. We got a holiday rental for 1 week. Then the race was on to find a permanent rental. We really had to find something before Christmas Eve, because the estate agents close their doors from the 24th to the 5th of January. Also, the holiday rentals were booked and getting more expensive.

We looked in Sydney's Northern Beaches. We decided it wasn't the lifestyle we were looking for. Dave said he'd prefer to stay in the Central Coast and commute. I looked a many rental homes and filled in some applications. As we were not hearing back, we had to extend our stay another week. On the 23rd of December, we signed the lease for our rental. We had the furniture rental company deliver furniture on the 24th.

It was a huge relief to finally have a place to call "home". We ordered phone and internet immediately - it arrived on 6 December. We celebrated Christmas here. We celebrated New Year's here. With every day that passes, we are more pleased with our choice.

This week we'll begin living a more "normal" life. Dave will begin work. The kids have a couple more weeks until school starts.

I went to one meet and greet. It was great meeting people and getting some questions answered (many questions)!

Overall, we have found Australia to be beautiful and the people friendly. We are just beginning to settle in. If you're heading to the Central Coast, give me a shout!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tiger222
Wow you guys, what a sweet chat regarding my whereabouts and circumstances. I am blushing from all the attention! It's humbling to know that I'm being thought about - even after all this time.

For a brief update:

We arrived in Brisbane on 25 November. Prior to our arrival, I bought a car with the help of a mechanic. It was delivered to us at our rental. It was nice to have the car because we have 4 children and getting to the grocery store was simplified. We learned how to drive in that car - in our quiet streets. We lived in a holiday rental for 3 weeks. During that time, I explored different areas around Brisbane looking for a permanent home.

Meanwhile, my husband was looking for a job. It was very difficult to conduct a job search because we did not have internet access. We had signed up with Dodo but that turned out to be a scam. The number never worked. We could not get mobile internet because we could not get a contract because no job. It was the most frustrating aspect of our first several weeks here - lack of internet.

My husband was told time and again that there were not many opportunities for him at that time. We had to make a decision whether we would settle and wait for things to change, or look for an opportunity in Sydney. Not knowing when the Brisbane Job Market might change, we decided to go with Sydney.

Dave received a response to his resume within 10 minutes of making himself available in the Sydney market. Within 1 hour, they wanted him in Sydney for an interview. He interviewed and got the job. However the start date was 12 January, and it was 10 December.

Because we had the car, we decided we would have to drive down. It was an exhilarating drive down the coast. We saw a lot of beautiful wild Australia.

We arrived in Terrigal in New South Wales' Central Coast. We got a holiday rental for 1 week. Then the race was on to find a permanent rental. We really had to find something before Christmas Eve, because the estate agents close their doors from the 24th to the 5th of January. Also, the holiday rentals were booked and getting more expensive.

We looked in Sydney's Northern Beaches. We decided it wasn't the lifestyle we were looking for. Dave said he'd prefer to stay in the Central Coast and commute. I looked a many rental homes and filled in some applications. As we were not hearing back, we had to extend our stay another week. On the 23rd of December, we signed the lease for our rental. We had the furniture rental company deliver furniture on the 24th.

It was a huge relief to finally have a place to call "home". We ordered phone and internet immediately - it arrived on 6 December. We celebrated Christmas here. We celebrated New Year's here. With every day that passes, we are more pleased with our choice.

This week we'll begin living a more "normal" life. Dave will begin work. The kids have a couple more weeks until school starts.

I went to one meet and greet. It was great meeting people and getting some questions answered (many questions)!

Overall, we have found Australia to be beautiful and the people friendly. We are just beginning to settle in. If you're heading to the Central Coast, give me a shout!
Wow Catherine you are back! Its great that you are liking Australia and enjoying your time. Look forward to hearing more from you. Got your PM too. Thanks.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:47 pm
From Wicklow to Perth

silverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nicesilverski is just really nice

We had the furniture rental company deliver furniture on the 24th.
HI catherine.

How does the furniture rental work out.
Is it expensive.
Is it nice.
Is there a min. length of rental.

Hope you are all keep well.

Regards

Silverski

Last edited by silverski; Jan 11th 2009 at 9:03 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

T-bird will become famous soon enoughT-bird will become famous soon enough

Tiger
Great to hear from you. Sounds like it's been a bit of a whirlwind but that you're settling in now.
Enjoy!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caliburn
Wow Catherine you are back! Its great that you are liking Australia and enjoying your time. Look forward to hearing more from you. Got your PM too. Thanks.
Having internet at home makes all the difference! Going to the library is a royal pain - especially since I was limited to 1 hour in Queensland and 30 minutes here in the Central coast. Just enough time to pay bills, read a few quick email and out!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by silverski
HI catherine.

How does the furniture rental work out.
Is it expensive.
Is it nice.
Is there a min. length of rental.

Hope you are all keep well.

Regards

Silverski
Silverski -

We didn't have much of a choice because of the time of year and the fact that we haven't made a long term plan yet - we know we'll be here for 6 months but not beyond that time. So we didn't want to buy a lot of furniture and then have to dispose of it later. We were told that many people rent an extra dining set or refrigerator for the holiday season. A couple came in while I was there and rented a washer for 1 month while they were waiting for their new one to arrive.

The furniture can be rented for as short as 1 month. We are on a 6 month contract. The furniture is in good condition and works well for our family of 4 kids. We rented a TV that has a remote with tape on it - just like ours back in the states!

Catherine
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by T-bird
Tiger
Great to hear from you. Sounds like it's been a bit of a whirlwind but that you're settling in now.
Enjoy!
Thanks, T

When are you coming this way?

Catherine
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

There is some movement today in my status page. All docs of myself and my wife says "met". Those of my son still says "required". What does this mean? Do you think I may have a CO now or its just that someone has looked at my file?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is some movement today in my status page. All docs of myself and my wife says "met". Those of my son still says "required". What does this mean? Do you think I may have a CO now or its just that someone has looked at my file?
I think you have a CO! Congratulations!!!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

hanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the rough

Hey Tiger, glad to hear things are working out and that you re settling. Why did you think the Northern beaches were right? We are thinking of there.

Thanks Ben for keeping on the forum it is good to hear what is happening with you all so we can make informed decisions.

We are still waiting so I don't really want to progress until we know but useful to have input. My dad and wife get back next week from 4 months over there when we catch up with them I will really get impatient.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Guys, seems its my time as well to tell you the good news..... I got it too... wey heyyy..... status changed to "Applicant Approved" this morning. My wife and I are still in shock.... our 20 months old son is curiously looking at mom and dad, trying to fathom whats going on.... something's different today....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Guys, seems its my time as well to tell you the good news..... I got it too... wey heyyy..... status changed to "Applicant Approved" this morning. My wife and I are still in shock.... our 20 months old son is curiously looking at mom and dad, trying to fathom whats going on.... something's different today....
WOO HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Doing the VISA DANCE?

(Seems I was just saying that I thought you had a CO this morning)

Catherine
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hanwilt
Hey Tiger, glad to hear things are working out and that you re settling. Why did you think the Northern beaches were right? We are thinking of there.

Thanks Ben for keeping on the forum it is good to hear what is happening with you all so we can make informed decisions.

We are still waiting so I don't really want to progress until we know but useful to have input. My dad and wife get back next week from 4 months over there when we catch up with them I will really get impatient.
We're from a smaller city in the middle of the United States. We felt that the traffic and population of the northern beaches was high. We are not used to this type of urbanization. We are much more comfortable in the Central Coast where the traffic is lighter. There is more room between homes, etc.

What we saved in rent, we are paying in transportation costs.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

WOO HOO!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Doing the VISA DANCE?

(Seems I was just saying that I thought you had a CO this morning)

Catherine
Thanks Catherine. It all happened so fast after the status change yesterday. Will celebrate big time this weekend. Thinking about late March for validation trip. Will be headed for Sydney as I'm sponsored by NSW. Next week, I will make a to-do list and take it from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.