Applying for a visa after a long lay off.

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default Applying for a visa after a long lay off.

Hi All,
Over 2 years ago i was going to start the process of applying for a skilled visa for a bricky.
That was suddenly halted when i had a serious accident at work, i'm self-employed. For the last 2 years i've been in and out of hospital having operations on my hand/wrist, six in total, as i serverely crushed it on the hydrolics of a skip wagon.
So what i'd like to know is, with me not being able to work for the last 2 years, i can't prove any work i've done in the last 2 years, for the application. Obviously i've got all hospital/doctors documents stating i was unable to work.
It's not that i've got time on my side, as i'm 43 and if i was needed to start from now to get the 2 years experience for the application it would take me over the 45 year old limit.
I'd really appreciate it if someone let me know how i stand on this please.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a visa after a long lay off.

Sorry to hear that. The age limit is now 50 yo, but you won't get any (extra) points.

You would stll need to qualify for a visa in the normal way.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi All,
Over 2 years ago i was going to start the process of applying for a skilled visa for a bricky.
That was suddenly halted when i had a serious accident at work, i'm self-employed. For the last 2 years i've been in and out of hospital having operations on my hand/wrist, six in total, as i serverely crushed it on the hydrolics of a skip wagon.
So what i'd like to know is, with me not being able to work for the last 2 years, i can't prove any work i've done in the last 2 years, for the application. Obviously i've got all hospital/doctors documents stating i was unable to work.
It's not that i've got time on my side, as i'm 43 and if i was needed to start from now to get the 2 years experience for the application it would take me over the 45 year old limit.
A lot of rules and guidelines have changed in the last couple of years, you'd need to check www.immi.gov.au and see what the current requirements are.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Unfortunately I am almost certain that there are no exemptions to the rule about having to work for 12 of the last 24 months in the nominated or closely related occupation, which would proclude you at the moment.

Are you able to work now? Perhaps you can apply in 12 months time if you can meet the points test. Most people cannot pass the points test once they are over 45.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Thanks a lot for your replies, i'll read up on the gov site to see what has changed in the last couple of years. I'm still having physio at the moment but hopefully with the new age limit being raised to 50 years old, i'll hopefully get back on track with my business and get the required 12 to 24 month work.
Thanks again, and no doubt i'll be picking your brains once i get sorted.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

If you are self employed how would they know you weren't working? Do they want pay slips or bank statements?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
If you are self employed how would they know you weren't working? Do they want pay slips or bank statements?
Those type of things, tax returns etc. They don't just take people' word for it.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Those type of things, tax returns etc. They don't just take people' word for it.

Haha! Always worth checking!!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Yes mate, they'd need to see my accountants info on me. Wouldn't life be so easy if you could just take someone at face value.
That's something else i've just thought about, do you need to show your earnings on your application or would a letter from my accountant stating i worked from so so year to present.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes mate, they'd need to see my accountants info on me. Wouldn't life be so easy if you could just take someone at face value.
That's something else i've just thought about, do you need to show your earnings on your application or would a letter from my accountant stating i worked from so so year to present.
You should expect that they would be very dilligent in checking the records of a self employed applicant.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You should expect that they would be very dilligent in checking the records of a self employed applicant.
Yes, very true. To be quite honest i wouldn't mind just working for an employer and seeing if i could get a sponsor from a building firm. Maybe's something i could look into.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Sorry to hear that. The age limit is now 50 yo, but you won't get any (extra) points.
That's highly unlikely to benefit Pazza unfortunately. See this thread about the difficulties the vast majority of over 45s will still face.