Wikiposts

Applying for PR while on a 457?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Applying for PR while on a 457?

Hi there,

How difficult is it to apply for PR visa whilst on a temp one? I'm assuming its the same process with the same costs? Would you use a migration agent or spare the expense and go through the hassel alone?

My case is an odd one as I'm going to oz next week and fingers crossed be working by end of september on a 457 visa. I didn't want PR as I want to wait and see how the children settle etc, however I'm now starting to wish I'd gone through the PR application and process due to lots of reasons. My case should be ok as I'm a Registered Nurse.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks ever so X
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR while on a 457?

Originally Posted by glittababe
How difficult is it to apply for PR visa whilst on a temp one?
As far as I know the process is exactly the same and the costs are the same. If you are working on a 457 visa though, why not get them to sponsor you through ENS? ENS isn't points tested (I think?) so you don't need to worry about making 120.

Last edited by wmoore; Aug 20th 2004 at 8:34 am. Reason: grammar
Old Aug 20th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
As far as I know the process is exactly the same and the costs are the same. If you are working on a 457 visa though, why not get them to sponsor you through ENS? ENS isn't points tested (I think?) so you don't need to worry about making 120.
Have checked my points and make 135, not including husbands, so no worries there. I don't think the company will sponsor as it's too much money. They're a nursing agency that employ's nurses on the 457 for 4 yrs. They have an agreement with the Dept of Employee and Working Relations to assist in the labour shortage in Australia. Have checked the DIMIA website, it states that whilst on a 457 visa you can apply for PR however the visa must be obtained offshore. This means returning to the UK.

Not having had to complete any of this paperwork previously (agency has done it through the agreement), where do i start? Scary and probably a silly question but I've searched the website and cannot find where to obtain the application pack? I just want to go through it throughly before making a decision. Sorry to be a pain!!!! Thanks ever so X
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:27 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Have checked my points and make 135, not including husbands
Bloody show off
Have checked the DIMIA website, it states that whilst on a 457 visa you can apply for PR however the visa must be obtained offshore. This means returning to the UK.
Not strictly true, just 'offshore' from Australia, so you could go to Auckland.
where do i start? Scary and probably a silly question but I've searched the website and cannot find where to obtain the application pack?
OK, you need to look at the Skilled Occupations List to double-check that your occupation is there and find out about the assessment authorities, then you need form 47sk. That'll get you going for starters!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have checked my points and make 135, not including husbands, so no worries there. I don't think the company will sponsor as it's too much money. They're a nursing agency that employ's nurses on the 457 for 4 yrs. They have an agreement with the Dept of Employee and Working Relations to assist in the labour shortage in Australia. Have checked the DIMIA website, it states that whilst on a 457 visa you can apply for PR however the visa must be obtained offshore. This means returning to the UK.
A general skilled PR visa normally needs to be granted offshore. As someone else has noted, you can go to Auckland for a week or two.

Employer Nomination PR can be applied for and granted onshore.

Not having had to complete any of this paperwork previously (agency has done it through the agreement), where do i start? Scary and probably a silly question but I've searched the website and cannot find where to obtain the application pack? I just want to go through it throughly before making a decision. Sorry to be a pain!!!! Thanks ever so X
You need to go back to the DIMIA website and find the Skilled Migration Booklet, Booklet 6 for general skilled. Booklet 5 is for employer nominated.

With respect, you need to be prepared to spend many hours finding your way around the DIMIA website and researching for yourself - or hire a good agent who knows the system well and can give personalised guidance.

Jeremy
Old Aug 21st 2004, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wink Re: Applying for PR while on a 457?

Originally Posted by JAJ
A general skilled PR visa normally needs to be granted offshore. As someone else has noted, you can go to Auckland for a week or two.

Employer Nomination PR can be applied for and granted onshore.

You need to go back to the DIMIA website and find the Skilled Migration Booklet, Booklet 6 for general skilled. Booklet 5 is for employer nominated.

With respect, you need to be prepared to spend many hours finding your way around the DIMIA website and researching for yourself - or hire a good agent who knows the system well and can give personalised guidance.

Jeremy
Thanks everyone, I'll go explore the website in more detail, if I find it too complicated I'll get a migration agent in! Thanks again, its really helped put things in perspective. The continue as plan (stay on the 457 then apply!) I'll come back to the UK as I have to sort out the sale of my house etc.... Best wishes XXXX