Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for PR after temporary 457 approval

Wikiposts

Applying for PR after temporary 457 approval

Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Default Applying for PR after temporary 457 approval

Hi all,

We currently have an application in for a temporary 457 visa after I was grated a promotion to our Perth office through my current employer and providing everything goes okay we will be applying for PR after 2 years of being in Perth.

What is the process to do this once we are in Australia? I assume for PR we need full medicals (only has chest xrays for the temporary application) but is there anything else which we will need that may be difficult to get out of the UK once we dont live here any more? I assume if we have police checks for the temporary visa then move to Perth we wont need updated checks once it comes to applying for PR.

I would like to try to get everything in order before we leave the UK because after spending a few months in Perth earlier in the year I know we aint gonna be coming back!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for PR after temporary 457 approval

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Hi all,

We currently have an application in for a temporary 457 visa after I was grated a promotion to our Perth office through my current employer and providing everything goes okay we will be applying for PR after 2 years of being in Perth.

What is the process to do this once we are in Australia? I assume for PR we need full medicals (only has chest xrays for the temporary application) but is there anything else which we will need that may be difficult to get out of the UK once we dont live here any more? I assume if we have police checks for the temporary visa then move to Perth we wont need updated checks once it comes to applying for PR.

I would like to try to get everything in order before we leave the UK because after spending a few months in Perth earlier in the year I know we aint gonna be coming back!
you will need UK police checks I belive but they are only valid for a year so you can't sort those out yet.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Thanks Teliko,

Are they relatively easy to get hold of once you are out of the country, is it something someone could apply for on my behalf?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We have just done this and it is relatively straight forward if your employer is sponsoring you. www.healthoz.com.au are the people who do the meds and chest xrays. Police checks are really easy to do from over here. I am assuming you were resident under Greater Manchester Police area so fill out the form found here http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pa...jectaccess.htm and follow the instructions.
You will also need Australian police checks and checks for any country you have lived in for longer than 6 months. Australian ones are easy and the instructions can be found here http://www.afp.gov.au/business/natio...ce_checks.html

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Superb, thats exactly what we are after thanks a lot

Nice to see there are some other northerners in Perth! Cant wait to join you, we visited for 6 weeks in April and absolutely loved it and cant believe we have been given the opportunity to go over there for good - me and the wife talk about it 24/7 we are both so excited!

Hopefully the 457 approval will come through quickly....
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Superb, thats exactly what we are after thanks a lot

Nice to see there are some other northerners in Perth! Cant wait to join you, we visited for 6 weeks in April and absolutely loved it and cant believe we have been given the opportunity to go over there for good - me and the wife talk about it 24/7 we are both so excited!

Hopefully the 457 approval will come through quickly....
Plenty of northerners don't fret about that.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:32 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hi Ian,

I think that you'd need to base your planning on Booklet 5 at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books5.htm (also a lot of useful links at that URL) or the checklist at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...-checklist.htm .

Yes, you can certainly get your UK police clearance now if you're definitely not returning.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any reason why you are planning to wait 2 years for PR? Can you get it sooner?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by George Lombard
I think that you'd need to base your planning on Booklet 5 at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books5.htm (also a lot of useful links at that URL) or the checklist at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...-checklist.htm .

Yes, you can certainly get your UK police clearance now if you're definitely not returning.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Any reason why you are planning to wait 2 years for PR? Can you get it sooner?
Unfortunately not, im going over as MD of our Perth office but dont have a formal management qualification and only 4 years management experience and PR asks for a minimum of 5 years experience or 2 years management experience in Australia.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

T
Unfortunately not, im going over as MD of our Perth office but dont have a formal management qualification and only 4 years management experience and PR asks for a minimum of 5 years experience or 2 years management experience in Australia.
Have you got formal qualifications in any other area? (eg degree?)
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

nope, not too bothered to be honest my employer is fantastic so im not worried about being canned before I can get PR
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:58 am
JAJ
Retired

nope, not too bothered to be honest my employer is fantastic so im not worried about being canned before I can get PR
Just be careful. Other things can happen in the meantime. There have been cases where family members have become seriously ill and this obviously causes issues with health criteria. Or the rules could change, your employer change plans (takeover, recession etc), or whatever.

Also be aware of the other issues involved with being temporary. For example if you have a child born in Australia that child will not be an Australian citizen by birth.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jaj,

Thanks for the heads up and yes I am aware, unfortunately though I dont have a choice as I dont meet the criteria for a Manager. As soon as I meet all the requirements I will be applying for PR and I would assume that once I hit the magic 5 years experience (which will be mid next year after being over for a few months in Oz) I will be able to apply for PR straight away.

Thats why im trying to ensure I take everything I need for the PR application with us before we leave.

What a system eh!

Last edited by ianhutch1; Sep 17th 2007 at 6:44 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:11 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi Jaj,

Thanks for the heads up and yes I am aware, unfortunately though I dont have a choice as I dont meet the criteria for a Manager. As soon as I meet all the requirements I will be applying for PR and I would assume that once I hit the magic 5 years experience (which will be mid next year after being over for a few months in Oz) I will be able to apply for PR straight away.
Are you planning to go for an AIM skill assessment?
Old Sep 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, didnt think it was needed for the 457?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.