Wikiposts

Applying for citizenship

Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

suzymcculloch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for citizenship

Hi, I was just wondering if someone could answer a few questions for me.

My husband and I are going to Australia on a WHV for 1year. After the year is up can we apply for citizenship? Is it that easy (just to apply)? I know you have to meet the criteria, (but what is that) ?

I have not done any research in2 full citizenship as yet, as we are going for the year to work and enjoy our time there.

But just want to know out of curiosity incase the time comes where we would like to stay on.

Thank You
Suzy
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for citizenship

Originally Posted by suzymcculloch

My husband and I are going to Australia on a WHV for 1year. After the year is up can we apply for citizenship? Is it that easy (just to apply)? I know you have to meet the criteria, (but what is that) ?

I have not done any research in2 full citizenship as yet, as we are going for the year to work and enjoy our time there.

But just want to know out of curiosity incase the time comes where we would like to stay on.

Thank You
Suzy
Nope, not that easy. Go to http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ to check whether you qualify for a PR visa.

You cannot apply for citizenship from a WHV. You will first need to obtain a Permanent Residency visa (either through your skills and/or through employment sponsorship). Between skills assessments and processing, these can take up to 3 or 4 years to get. They are also subject to very stringent criteria that one of you will need to meet re qualifications, work experience and more. You also won't be able to remain in Australia once your WHV expires, even if you have lodged a PR application, unless you are able to get a temporary resident visa through work sponsorship. Once you are permanent residents, you will have to have lived 4 years in Australia before you can apply for citizenship. So, one year on a WHV is not going to cut it...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:50 am
Just Joined

suzymcculloch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Yes I knew with just a WHV we could not apply for citizenship. As I said I have not done any research. Was just looking for som advise, which you have gave good.. So thanx for that, We will just enjoy our time there when we arrive, and see how things go from there.

Suzy

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Nope, not that easy. Go to http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/ to check whether you qualify for a PR visa.

You cannot apply for citizenship from a WHV. You will first need to obtain a Permanent Residency visa (either through your skills and/or through employment sponsorship). Between skills assessments and processing, these can take up to 3 or 4 years to get. They are also subject to very stringent criteria that one of you will need to meet re qualifications, work experience and more. You also won't be able to remain in Australia once your WHV expires, even if you have lodged a PR application, unless you are able to get a temporary resident visa through work sponsorship. Once you are permanent residents, you will have to have lived 4 years in Australia before you can apply for citizenship. So, one year on a WHV is not going to cut it...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzymcculloch

Thank You
Suzy
Suzy, we have been telling you for days that a WHV does not mean you can stay in Australia indefinitely if you like it. So how did you think citizenship might be a possibility after one year on a WHV?

This is a wind up isn't it.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

If you are skilled in a useful profession then maybe you could consider trying to find a sponsor, I came on a WHV 6 years ago and after a few weeks got sponsored for a 457.

This give me up to 4 years to decide if Australia was the place for me, after 3 years I applied for a skills assessment and a 175 visa. Did my Citizenship last year and can come and go when ever I want.... no more visa's for me.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
If you are skilled in a useful profession then maybe you could consider trying to find a sponsor, I came on a WHV 6 years ago and after a few weeks got sponsored for a 457.

This give me up to 4 years to decide if Australia was the place for me, after 3 years I applied for a skills assessment and a 175 visa. Did my Citizenship last year and can come and go when ever I want.... no more visa's for me.
You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been a PR for 4 years. a WHV needs to be turned into a permanent residency visa before you can even consider being a citizen. x

Good Luck
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzJo
You cannot apply for citizenship until you have been a PR for 4 years. a WHV needs to be turned into a permanent residency visa before you can even consider being a citizen. x

Good Luck
Not quite right.

You need to have lived (legally) in Australia for 4 years - including a minimum of one year as PR, before you are eligible for citizenship.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyC
Not quite right.

You need to have lived (legally) in Australia for 4 years - including a minimum of one year as PR, before you are eligible for citizenship.
lol! Thats what I meant to say!!! 2 glasses of red and my fingers dont work as well! lol
Old Mar 5th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Good Luck
Incorrect. Only need to be PR for 1 year
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Good Luck
I have the Citizen certificate to prove it, so bad luck.

Plus you cant turn a WHV into Permanent residency its not an Automatic procedure.... you have to apply for permanent residency same as everyone else.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Mar 5th 2011 at 12:51 pm.