Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa

apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa

Old Oct 25th 2016, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Jxing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa

Hello guys,

I just received a positive skill assessment of my education and employment history. I am now considering to apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa, but I have a few concerns that require some advice and suggestions.

Firstly, here is my situation. I have a PhD degree on Chemistry out of Australia and got assessed positively by VETASSESS. And I also have a positive assessment with 5.2 yrs employment as a chemist.

With all these, I shall be able to claim 60 points from the immigration point calculation system, taking into account my age, degree, and employment history. Unfortunately, I cannot claim English proficiency at this moment as my ielts results are 8, 7.5, 7.0 and 6.5.

Chemist is only in consolidated list, so I have to go through 190 visa and only Victoria has this scheme for international PhD. But the requirement is a bit ambiguous as chemist require ielsts with 4 band 7 and 5 yr experience. I have sent an email to ask Victoria immigration if I can apply. The answer is that:
Some occupations are subject to higher English language standards to be considered for Victorian visa nomination and this is noted on the relevant Victorian State Nomination Occupation Lists.

In some circumstances, a higher English language requirement indicated on the occupation lists may be waived to a minimum of IELTS six (or equivalent) in each band if you meet at least one of the following:
- you are currently working in your nominated occupation in Victoria and have done so for more than six months;
- you are applying under the 457 streamlined pathway;
- you are applying with a PhD.

So my 1st question is: am I eligible to apply considering I am applying with a PhD even though I do not have ielts 4 band 7? If I fail, I have to wait 6-month before reapplying. Shall I take another ielts to have 4 band 7 before applying? Thanks.
Old Oct 25th 2016, 6:19 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa

Is there some reason you cannot do the IELTS again?
Old Oct 25th 2016, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: apply for Victoria State Nomination 190 visa

You have supplied all the information right there yourself. I am not sure what anybody can add to what you have discovered yourself.