British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Applied for Citizenship in Nov 2020, still waiting!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/applied-citizenship-nov-2020-still-waiting-942215/)

SammyBoy Jan 6th 2022 1:36 am

Applied for Citizenship in Nov 2020, still waiting!!!

Hi guys,
I applied for Australian Citizenship by conferral in Nov 2020, but there is no progress at all to the online application. The home affairs website is showing that 75% of applications are processed in 9 months and 90% are processed in 15 months. So I guess I will wait for few more months and hopefully it gets done.

Are there others here that are also facing lengthy delays?
Take care

old.sparkles Jan 6th 2022 4:23 am

Re: Applied for Citizenship in Nov 2020, still waiting!!!

Originally Posted by SammyBoy (Post 13086451)
Hi guys,
I applied for Australian Citizenship by conferral in Nov 2020, but there is no progress at all to the online application. The home affairs website is showing that 75% of applications are processed in 9 months and 90% are processed in 15 months. So I guess I will wait for few more months and hopefully it gets done.

Are there others here that are also facing lengthy delays?
Take care

Have you checked your application online at all for any messages?

I applied around that time and had my test in Feb last year, and ceremony in May.

SammyBoy Jan 9th 2022 2:01 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13086454)
Have you checked your application online at all for any messages?

I applied around that time and had my test in Feb last year, and ceremony in May.

Yeah, I have been checking it regularly. I checked it just now also. The application status is 'Received'. I checked in Messages also, but the only message there is an acknowledgment of application received.

Is there a way I can follow-up or should I wait longer?

Thanks

old.sparkles Jan 9th 2022 2:35 am

Originally Posted by SammyBoy (Post 13087022)
Yeah, I have been checking it regularly. I checked it just now also. The application status is 'Received'. I checked in Messages also, but the only message there is an acknowledgment of application received.

Is there a way I can follow-up or should I wait longer?

Thanks

I just checked my acknowledgement letter which had the following link for contact - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us

It might be worth contacting. Only thing I can think of is COVID maybe. Which state are you in?

SammyBoy Jan 9th 2022 2:42 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 13087024)
I just checked my acknowledgement letter which had the following link for contact - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/contact-us

It might be worth contacting. Only thing I can think of is COVID maybe. Which state are you in?

Thanks will try contacting them. I am based in VIC.

old.sparkles Jan 9th 2022 2:50 am

Originally Posted by SammyBoy (Post 13087026)
Thanks will try contacting them. I am based in VIC.

Then it could be due to Covid if VIC is unable to conduct citizenship tests. I know there have been delays in the past.

TeeTMI Jan 13th 2022 3:04 am

The test/interviews for VIC had a significant backlog after the lockdowns in the last couple of years.

SammyBoy Jan 13th 2022 9:51 am

Thanks Tee, I guess I can only wait for my turn. I tried calling their number but gave up after being on hold for 40 mins. :(

Do you know, if I need to go outside Australia before getting Citizenship, what do I need to do? I am on PR that I got in Apr 2016 and entered Aus in Sep 2016.

quoll Jan 13th 2022 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SammyBoy (Post 13087806)
Thanks Tee, I guess I can only wait for my turn. I tried calling their number but gave up after being on hold for 40 mins. :(

Do you know, if I need to go outside Australia before getting Citizenship, what do I need to do? I am on PR that I got in Apr 2016 and entered Aus in Sep 2016.

You need to get a Return Residents Visa because the travel component of your original visa will have expired.

TeeTMI Jan 13th 2022 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by SammyBoy (Post 13087806)

I cannot comment on your particular case without checking the details. However, as a generalisation until you become an Australian Citizen you would need to continue to meet the requirements that are applicable to a Permanent Resident.

SammyBoy Feb 7th 2022 7:00 am

Finally!!!! I got the letter inviting me for interview and test today. Yayyyyyy!!!! :thumbsup:
I was getting worried if I did not provide the information correctly.
Prep time now.