Application submitted and interview done!

Old Jan 29th 2001, 7:08 am
jsbibm

Just got through the nerve-racking process of handing in our application for a spouse visa
and being interviewed. We did this all at the Melbourne DIMA offices. If you decided to
apply for permanent residency in Melbourne, take the day off! We waited for an hour and a
half before being seen. Handing in the actual application only took a few minutes, then we
were given a 2:30 interview (about an hour and a half off at that point). The reception in
the interviewing office was dreadful, but there wasn't much of a wait before we were
ushered in. The interviewer didn't even look through the letters and emails we had brought
along - focussing mainly on shared bank statements and bills in both names as well as our
photos. Pending the results of the police check in the states I should get the temporary
residency visa. They entered a bridging visa in my passport while I was there, to help in
applying for Medicare. Oh, and don't bother putting all your papers in a fancy portfolio
or binder!

All in all I have to say that the waiting was the most excruciating part. Tourist and
student visas seemed to have a higher priority. Only one desk was processing residency
visa applications while we were there. Once we actually were allowed to see someone,
things went very smoothly and that part of the process was easier than we had envisioned.
As an aside, we were impressed by the number of people working there who were immigrants
themselves, though in some cases you would have hoped their experience might have made
them more empathetic and helpful!

Thanks to everyone who provided answers, advice and support in the past months.

Ian and Jo

Old Jan 29th 2001, 1:30 pm
Robert Nicholson

So you entered on a tourist visa and got married and now submitted a spouse visa? If this
is the case did they look to see if you had planned this?