British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Application of Australian Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/application-australian-citizenship-675588/)

johnnye May 10th 2011 11:40 am

Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz (Post 9354645)
We got our approval letter about 5 days after I did the test. I don't think they did any police checks, or did they without telling us? :unsure: we then received the letter with a date for the ceremony about 3 weeks after the approval letter.

Everyone has an Australian police check. The woman who dealt with me said she had a few more checks to do which normally come back in 5 days but sometimes take longer

elice_in_oz May 10th 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by johnnye (Post 9354659)
Everyone has an Australian police check. The woman who dealt with me said she had a few more checks to do which normally come back in 5 days but sometimes take longer

Well it's lucky I hadn't made good on my threats to my kids yet then :p:rofl: Now I've got the certificate, I might reconsider sparing them :eek:

daunted May 10th 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks everyone - I have it on good authority that no further consent is needed from ex hubby so it would appear i am just being impatient! :thumbsup: (not like me at all :o)
I will give it a week and if i dont hear i will ring them. Daughter has been told that she will be informed next time they are conducting 'regional' testing so we will prob all end up at same place same date etc. Thought i had got over the whole stressful stuff and this has just bought it all back. Hopefully not much longer but thanks for allowing me to vent :wub::thumbsup:

Pollyana May 10th 2011 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by johnnye (Post 9354659)

Yep, everyone has an AFP check done on them and same as any other police check sometimes details might match with someone on file so it needs more work to eliminate the subject. I don't know for sure this is whats happening in this case, but its one reason for a hold-up on one person while the other gets quicker approval.
Daunted, they also check back through the visa stuff so may be there is just more on your file than on your daughters, so its taking longer to check it?

daunted May 15th 2011 3:00 am

:( well my daughter has a date for her test which is great news BUT i have still heard nothing! Maybe they don't want me :(

daunted May 17th 2011 7:45 am

WELL... I finally managed to talk to a real person and not a robot at Immi - thankyou James for being so helpful. He called the WA dept who said I would hear as soon as a test date became available! Must be full when daughter takes her test next week :rofl:.Anyway I am slightly calmer now as he said there hadn't been any problems with my application! pheeeeeeeewwweeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:

Pollyana May 17th 2011 9:02 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9369142)
WELL... I finally managed to talk to a real person and not a robot at Immi - thankyou James for being so helpful. He called the WA dept who said I would hear as soon as a test date became available! Must be full when daughter takes her test next week :rofl:.Anyway I am slightly calmer now as he said there hadn't been any problems with my application! pheeeeeeeewwweeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

johnnye May 17th 2011 9:30 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9369142)

nice - hope it comes through soon. More time to read the test book. You should get full marks.

daunted May 17th 2011 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9369249)

Polly the sense of relief was fab :rofl: Takes me back to those stressful days waiting for the visa!

Originally Posted by johnnye (Post 9369282)
nice - hope it comes through soon. More time to read the test book. You should get full marks.

Thanks - me too Johnnye though we have decided daughter shouldn't wait for us if we don't hear by time she offered ceremony date. Main reason we want to get it sorted asap is so that she can take up her uni offer and claim HECS which she can't until a citizen - so i suppose as frustrating as it is it is better that it is her that has date and not the one waiting!

Scoult May 17th 2011 9:58 am

I am still waiting on my approval been 3 weeks now... So frustrating having to wait!!! They said they are taking three months now to approve. Ahh!

daunted May 17th 2011 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Scoult (Post 9369336)
I am still waiting on my approval been 3 weeks now... So frustrating having to wait!!! They said they are taking three months now to approve. Ahh!

:rofl: maybe we should pull up a chair and crack open a bottle of wine? Red or white?

Scoult May 17th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9369365)
:rofl: maybe we should pull up a chair and crack open a bottle of wine? Red or white?

White it is :)

daunted May 17th 2011 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Scoult (Post 9369367)
White it is :)

perfect!:thumbup: Here you go ..............now take a seat and enjoy the delicate flavours.......lose yourself in the gentle aroma..........now did someone mention citizenship?? nah ...........................:blink:

daunted May 25th 2011 7:30 am

WELL guys - you can always rely on me for being the exception to the rule! R sat her citizenship test today which she passed 20/20:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seems as suspected MY application is the one that got caught up in the mumbo jumbo and despite last weeks phone call - there is a hitch regarding residency requirements (despite them being exactly the same as R's):blink: It is being looked into and I should hear back within 48 hours.

But you know what? I'm exhausted! The past 4 1/2 years have been the most difficult of my life and now I just want to sleep, what will be will be, I just don't have any energy left right now.:wub:

Scoult May 25th 2011 8:16 am

That's not good keep smiling!! U will be fine! It's all very strange! I am still awaiting my approval letter they said via phone I was approved Monday! Keep us update mate

johnnye May 25th 2011 9:42 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9386358)
WELL guys - you can always rely on me for being the exception to the rule! R sat her citizenship test today which she passed 20/20:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seems as suspected MY application is the one that got caught up in the mumbo jumbo and despite last weeks phone call - there is a hitch regarding residency requirements (despite them being exactly the same as R's):blink: It is being looked into and I should hear back within 48 hours.

But you know what? I'm exhausted! The past 4 1/2 years have been the most difficult of my life and now I just want to sleep, what will be will be, I just don't have any energy left right now.:wub:

Looks like it's their problem and not yours. If they've agreed that your daughter qualifies then you MUST qualify - still waiting for my ceremony date, looks like it will be a long wait.

daunted May 26th 2011 12:35 pm

:blink: OK well what a day today has been!!!! (I passed my citizenship test LOL)

Had a phonecall at work today at 10.30am from the chap who had done R test yesterday.
The very nice man was extremely apologetic, the case officer had processed it wrong and that mistake had now been rectified. Anyway ended up doing my test this afternoon so that all our applications could be processed together - so all is back on track again. :thumbup: Exhausting!!!!

johnnye May 26th 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9389321)
:blink: OK well what a day today has been!!!! (I passed my citizenship test LOL)

Had a phonecall at work today at 10.30am from the chap who had done R test yesterday.
The very nice man was extremely apologetic, the case officer had processed it wrong and that mistake had now been rectified. Anyway ended up doing my test this afternoon so that all our applications could be processed together - so all is back on track again. :thumbup: Exhausting!!!!

phew - thank goodness it's all over

Pollyana May 26th 2011 12:56 pm

irishbloo May 26th 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9389355)

Well done.Glad its sorted.:thumbsup:

Scoult May 26th 2011 8:28 pm

Excellent news mate I also got my approves letter yesterday !!!

daunted May 27th 2011 5:34 am

Thanks everyone and congrats Scoult - the end is in sight :thumbsup::wub:

Scoult May 27th 2011 7:09 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9391078)
Thanks everyone and congrats Scoult - the end is in sight :thumbsup::wub:

Thanks only got to do the oath and that's it for me! Must say my journey has been painless unlike must! Happy to be Australian ! thanks for the wishes and to BE forum!

EvannTel May 27th 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9386358)
Seems as suspected MY application is the one that got caught up in the mumbo jumbo and despite last weeks phone call - there is a hitch regarding residency requirements (despite them being exactly the same as R's):blink:

Mandy

Glad you got it sorted but I think this illustrates Jeremy's warning that DIAC themselves do not understand the law or its interpretation. As there is no rush or need in Terri's case for citizenship, we'll wait until the 4 years since TR/PR visa validation in July ticks over to apply - just incase - enough on moving without becoming the test case!

daunted May 27th 2011 8:44 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 9391211)
Mandy

Glad you got it sorted but I think this illustrates Jeremy's warning that DIAC themselves do not understand the law or its interpretation. As there is no rush or need in Terri's case for citizenship, we'll wait until the 4 years since TR/PR visa validation in July ticks over to apply - just incase - enough on moving without becoming the test case!

Don't blame you one bit Evan - we only took the gamble so that R can take up her Uni offer (cant get HECs until citizen), and we wanted to be able to celebrate something so special all together, just glad its nearly all over.

good luck with the move :thumbsup:

Pommy Dan Jun 6th 2011 11:33 am

I sent off my application for Citizenship today.

How long does it take between each stage?

My council, Geln Eira have ceremonies every 2 months, it seems...

Pommy Dan Jun 8th 2011 11:36 am

Email received from DIAC inviting me to Citizenship test and interview on June 24.

daunted Jun 8th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan (Post 9418764)
Email received from DIAC inviting me to Citizenship test and interview on June 24.

Congrats and goodluck. We got our approval letter today - now just have to wait for the ceremony date x

utojo Jun 21st 2011 2:38 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9418914)
Congrats and goodluck. We got our approval letter today - now just have to wait for the ceremony date x

Congrats to all who getting the approval letter.

My partner and I also got one two-three weeks ago. Now we are waiting for the ceremony date. Any idea how we can find out the date? Cos I need to plan for my near future travel overseas.

We live in Perth WA

Pollyana Jun 21st 2011 4:42 am

Originally Posted by utojo (Post 9445766)

My partner and I also got one two-three weeks ago. Now we are waiting for the ceremony date. Any idea how we can find out the date? Cos I need to plan for my near future travel overseas.

We live in Perth WA

You'll have to wait till they tell you. Tehre's no other way of finding out what date they will give you.

Pommy Dan Jun 21st 2011 7:22 am

Originally Posted by utojo (Post 9445766)

We live in Perth WA

Ceremonies are generally held at local council 'town halls'.

My local council publishes the dates of upcoming ceremonies on it's website.

Maybe check your local council website for those. At least you'll know how often the ceremonies are held.

utojo Jun 22nd 2011 1:07 am

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan (Post 9446092)
Ceremonies are generally held at local council 'town halls'.

My local council publishes the dates of upcoming ceremonies on it's website.

Maybe check your local council website for those. At least you'll know how often the ceremonies are held.

My local council and neighbour's council also don't have a date mentioned on council calender for the ceremony.

I think I just need to wait...wait... and wait.

PS: in my case from application online submitted till approval letter only took 1 month more or less.

johnnye Jun 23rd 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 9418914)

Hey Daunted,

congrats on your approval.

I phoned the DIAC help line today and found out that they have assigned me a ceremony on Jul 14th, they did this 2 days ago. They said to call back at the end of next week if I had not received the letter. I know for a fact my council has a ceremony on that date - I checked a few weeks ago.

daunted Jun 23rd 2011 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by johnnye (Post 9451640)
Hey Daunted,

congrats on your approval.

I phoned the DIAC help line today and found out that they have assigned me a ceremony on Jul 14th, they did this 2 days ago. They said to call back at the end of next week if I had not received the letter. I know for a fact my council has a ceremony on that date - I checked a few weeks ago.

Congrats Johnye - our shires next ceremony date is in October so that will hopefully be our time - nothing happens quickly hey x

Pommy Dan Jun 25th 2011 3:15 am

Had my test and interview in Melbourne yesterday. Passed the test with a 95% score, got one wrong - they don't tell you which one.
A relatively painless process, was in and out in 30 minutes.
Now I await their final decision.

Nimra Jun 25th 2011 12:32 pm

Dan,
would you plz write what did they ask u in interview? n how long it took from application lodgment to test date?
thanks
nim

Pommy Dan Jun 26th 2011 1:08 am

Interview was bAsically going through a few details on my form. How long have I known the person who countersigned my photo and am I sure I've not been in trouble with the police.

She verified the original documents of those that I submitted with the application (passport, birth certificate, utility bill and driving license) and took fresh copies. She showed my my file on the screen and took a photo of me.

I got the impression that if I hadn't struck up conversation, she wouldn't have.

I sent my paper application on 2 June I think ,then test was on 24 June so a 3 week lead time there.

Between another 2 and 6 weeks to make a decision, then it is up to your local council ceremony schedule.

Nimra Jun 26th 2011 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan (Post 9457179)
Interview was bAsically going through a few details on my form. How long have I known the person who countersigned my photo and am I sure I've not been in trouble with the police.

She verified the original documents of those that I submitted with the application (passport, birth certificate, utility bill and driving license) and took fresh copies. She showed my my file on the screen and took a photo of me.

I got the impression that if I hadn't struck up conversation, she wouldn't have.

I sent my paper application on 2 June I think ,then test was on 24 June so a 3 week lead time there.

Between another 2 and 6 weeks to make a decision, then it is up to your local council ceremony schedule.

Thanks Dan for your detailed reply, wish u good luck.

Dorothy Jun 26th 2011 8:35 am

Originally Posted by utojo (Post 9448239)
My local council and neighbour's council also don't have a date mentioned on council calender for the ceremony.

I think I just need to wait...wait... and wait.

PS: in my case from application online submitted till approval letter only took 1 month more or less.

You can also ring your concil and ask if it's not published on their website.

johnnye Jun 27th 2011 10:49 am

So, finally got the ceremony invitation letter through today.

Applied 22 March
Test 18 Apr
Approved 29 Apr
Ceremony 14 Jul