Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Anyone living near Byron Bay/Bangalow? Moving there in January...

Wikiposts

Anyone living near Byron Bay/Bangalow? Moving there in January...

Old Oct 30th 2004, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough
Question Anyone living near Byron Bay/Bangalow? Moving there in January...

Hi there - can anyone help? We're moving to Oz right after Christmas, and have decided to head to somewhere near Byron and rent there for a while, see how we like it...

We have a little boy called Jude, aged 1 and a half so am hoping he will like it there too!

I know Byron Bay is very touristy so I was hoping to find somewhere near it that wasn't so much of a hotspot - have been looking up a few places on the net and Bangalow seemed quite nice - does anyone know it or live in the area?

Would love to get some advice from someone who really knows it!

Thanks! Caroline
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

KerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura aboutKerryG has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Anyone living near Byron Bay/Bangalow? Moving there in January...

Hi Caroline

We are also moving to Byron Shire!!!!!!!!!!! But not until next September, we are just starting to get balls rolling now (and I cant wait!!!)

However, my hubby lived in Byron a few years back for a few years and knows the area well. A good friend of his lives in Bangalow, she loves it and has a two year old and a crowd of friends with young kids in the area who all hook up, so you an little Jude the surf dude (love the name!) should fit in well. Adam (the hubby) says that Bangalow is lovely, very rural and green, small country town, one main street, excellent market.

We are considering it as a destination. Our friend there is keeping an eye on rents for us and Adams Dad lives in Byron Bay and he is keeping an eye on the local housing market for us. Byron itself is soo expensive now, we are also looking at Mullumbimby, slightly inland, a bit more foresty - lovely big houses!

We have two kids, Lily aged 3 and Finn aged 1. Lily already talks about moving to Australia like it is happening tomorrow, she cant wait (we told her she could have a dog out there, maybe that is why!). It is wierd thinking that they will grow up with Australian accents, and say stuff like g'day Mom - tee hee!

I have loads of websites for the area if you are interested.

You must be soo excited with the move being so soon! I am and I have got ages to wait!

Anyway, hope that helps,

Kerry
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Anyone living near Byron Bay/Bangalow? Moving there in January...

Hi Kerry

Thanks for you post! I am soo excited and scared now - I really hope it doesn't all go wrong!

It would be really good if I could meet up with people with young kids - it is Jude I am most worried about, it will be a big upheaval for him leaving everything he knows in his little world. Feel a bit selfish sometimes as it is my dream not his, but then I am hoping it will be a better lifestyle for him growing up than I had - do you think that for your little ones?

Never looked at Mullumbimby before - it looks nice actually. Think we will have to get a holiday rent then drive around these places to get a feel for them then get a longer lease...

Keep us updated with your move!

Caroline

Originally Posted by KerryG
Hi Caroline

We are also moving to Byron Shire!!!!!!!!!!! But not until next September, we are just starting to get balls rolling now (and I cant wait!!!)

However, my hubby lived in Byron a few years back for a few years and knows the area well. A good friend of his lives in Bangalow, she loves it and has a two year old and a crowd of friends with young kids in the area who all hook up, so you an little Jude the surf dude (love the name!) should fit in well. Adam (the hubby) says that Bangalow is lovely, very rural and green, small country town, one main street, excellent market.

We are considering it as a destination. Our friend there is keeping an eye on rents for us and Adams Dad lives in Byron Bay and he is keeping an eye on the local housing market for us. Byron itself is soo expensive now, we are also looking at Mullumbimby, slightly inland, a bit more foresty - lovely big houses!

We have two kids, Lily aged 3 and Finn aged 1. Lily already talks about moving to Australia like it is happening tomorrow, she cant wait (we told her she could have a dog out there, maybe that is why!). It is wierd thinking that they will grow up with Australian accents, and say stuff like g'day Mom - tee hee!

I have loads of websites for the area if you are interested.

You must be soo excited with the move being so soon! I am and I have got ages to wait!

Anyway, hope that helps,

Kerry