British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Anyone got RSMS Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/anyone-got-rsms-visa-540886/)

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 9:10 am

Re: Anyone got RSMS Visa

Originally Posted by Nick.d (Post 6504856)
Yes I was surprised that CO was alotted to me as soon as I got acknowlegement.

Medicals are valid in most cases for a year, but I think your first entry date will be a year from the earliest of either the police checks or medicals. so the possible scenario for me is that I don't get visa grant till maybe Dec and because the police checks were done in March this year, they will give me three months to get there, two months if I dont hear by Jan and one month if I don't hear by Feb.
As my case is a little complicated, due to previous medical problems, I cannot anticipate a definite positive outcome, so cannot really put house up for sale until I know for sure.

I think you can contact the case officer, on my letter from DIAC, it gives out a tel no that the CO can be contacted on.

My Daughter is OK, although she is adamant that she will not be coming with me just yet, she is trying to find ways of finding rented accomodation as well as looking into all the grants and like, that she will be entitled to, as she is in higher education still.

Good luck with your application...... Karma is being sent.

Nick

THANK YOU !! We all know we need lots of luck !!

At least she is being sensible about finding out where she will be once you have left ...

Hmm.. dont sit tooo long... if you dont hear anything CALL THEM... that's why they are there....
Keep me updated...

Burkins Jun 26th 2008 9:57 am

Hi Nick
I would give the CO a call and ask for a time estimate from them. When we lodged our RSMS we were given a current processing time - did you?

Good luck
Sonya

Bix Jun 26th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Nick.d (Post 6504856)
Yes I was surprised that CO was alotted to me as soon as I got acknowlegement.

Medicals are valid in most cases for a year, but I think your first entry date will be a year from the earliest of either the police checks or medicals. so the possible scenario for me is that I don't get visa grant till maybe Dec and because the police checks were done in March this year, they will give me three months to get there, two months if I dont hear by Jan and one month if I don't hear by Feb.
As my case is a little complicated, due to previous medical problems, I cannot anticipate a definite positive outcome, so cannot really put house up for sale until I know for sure.

I think you can contact the case officer, on my letter from DIAC, it gives out a tel no that the CO can be contacted on.

My Daughter is OK, although she is adamant that she will not be coming with me just yet, she is trying to find ways of finding rented accomodation as well as looking into all the grants and like, that she will be entitled to, as she is in higher education still.

Good luck with your application...... Karma is being sent.

Nick

Hi Nick.

If I understand correctly you are saying you need to get to Aus before the meds and police checks expire ?

In my experience that is not so.

The validity dates are only relevant to the visa application process. Doesn't matter when they expire after getting the visa grant.

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Burkins (Post 6504998)
Hi Nick
I would give the CO a call and ask for a time estimate from them. When we lodged our RSMS we were given a current processing time - did you?

Good luck
Sonya

Hi Sonya,
Sorry I should have mentioned, that on the acknowlegement letter, it also said "currently, the majority of visa applications are taking six months to complete on average".

Nick

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6505051)
Hi Nick.

If I understand correctly you are saying you need to get to Aus before the meds and police checks expire ?

In my experience that is not so.

The validity dates are only relevant to the visa application process. Doesn't matter when they expire after getting the visa grant.

Hi Bix,

I think, what I am trying to say, is that if and when this visa is granted, there will be a "first entry" date at which I have to enter Australia by, either to validate my visa or move over there. this "first entry" date is usually calculated from, the date you had your medical or police checks done, whichever was done first, and is usually twelve months on from that date.

With the RSMS Visa, once you have entered Australia, to validate, you must then start work within the following 6 months or your visa can be cancelled. This is unlike other visa's where you can go on Holiday to validate and not go back to live in Australia for up to the next 5years.

So its pretty pointless just validating a RSMS visa by way of a holiday because of the conditions imposed stating that you must start work within 6 months of arrival.

Hence the worry about not being told either way until maybe DEC and then having to be there by March, which will be 12 months on from my police checks.

Nick

Bix Jun 26th 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation Nick.

However please try to double check these points as I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think there is a validation date with RSMS like there is with other visas. The only requirement I am aware of is that you have to take up the post within 6 months of arriving in Aus.

I also don't think the meds or police checks come into play once you have the visa grant.

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6505508)
Thanks for the explanation Nick.

However please try to double check these points as I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think there is a validation date with RSMS like there is with other visas. The only requirement I am aware of is that you have to take up the post within 6 months of arriving in Aus.

I also don't think the meds or police checks come into play once you have the visa grant.

I think like Bix !!... double check that ...
"google" .. "google"

ponyrama Jun 26th 2008 6:28 pm

Blimey I just found this thread and now I'm thoroughly depressed. I am waiting for formal job offer (had provisional subject to occy health etc) and already have PCC's - hoping to lodge nomination and visa app at same time in Sydney/Parramatta, then will book meds straight away. I am aiming for a November/December date to move to Oz but from the way you lot are talking I could be looking at next year? :eek:

I cant cope, I need a lie down and a large G&T.:(

Burkins Jun 26th 2008 6:59 pm

Just starting on the beer myself!!

Bix Jun 26th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 6506909)
Blimey I just found this thread and now I'm thoroughly depressed. I am waiting for formal job offer (had provisional subject to occy health etc) and already have PCC's - hoping to lodge nomination and visa app at same time in Sydney/Parramatta, then will book meds straight away. I am aiming for a November/December date to move to Oz but from the way you lot are talking I could be looking at next year? :eek:

I cant cope, I need a lie down and a large G&T.:(

But medical type jobs do get priority so you may strike lucky P.

janjanxx Jun 27th 2008 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6507758)
But medical type jobs do get priority so you may strike lucky P.

Poly.... get that lodgment done.... You never know...
We have today lodged !!!

oldandbold Jun 27th 2008 7:48 am

Mine was lodged 13th may at Darwin, received the standard expect 5-7 months wait but have been allocated a case officer and today received a request for further info and request for medicals from the case officer so they must be looking at it.Offshore paper based application.

janjanxx Jun 27th 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by oldandbold (Post 6508751)
Mine was lodged 13th may at Darwin, received the standard expect 5-7 months wait but have been allocated a case officer and today received a request for further info and request for medicals from the case officer so they must be looking at it.Offshore paper based application.

Very good.... I like to hear things like that !!! Keep us posted with the VISA GRANT !!!

I hope the Case Officers read this forum lol

We love Case Officers !!

Burkins Jun 28th 2008 8:43 am

Has everyone entered their details at www.beupdate.co.uk. I have looked through the whole of this year and can't find anyone on RSMS. Can anyone else?
I'm obsessed!! I want to see someone get a visa!!!

pumpkin blossom Jun 28th 2008 11:46 am

Does anyone know how long Adelaide are taking at the moment?