British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Anyone got RSMS Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/anyone-got-rsms-visa-540886/)

janjanxx Jun 3rd 2008 2:04 pm

Anyone got RSMS Visa

Hi,

I'm keen to find out if anyone has recently been granted RSMS Visa and the time process involved....

Aly_James Jun 14th 2008 10:34 am

Re: Anyone got RSMS Visa

Our RSMS was approved in Feb. Job Offer Sept. Employer nomination lodged Nov, approved Jan. Our application lodged Jan. Visa finalised Feb.

janjanxx Jun 18th 2008 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Aly_James (Post 6466048)
Our RSMS was approved in Feb. Job Offer Sept. Employer nomination lodged Nov, approved Jan. Our application lodged Jan. Visa finalised Feb.

Hi,

That was quick..... were you offshore?

Aly_James Jun 18th 2008 10:37 pm

We lodged our application with the Brisbane Business Center and we were onshore. We were in Oz on a working holiday visa at the time.

janjanxx Jun 19th 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Aly_James (Post 6480536)
We lodged our application with the Brisbane Business Center and we were onshore. We were in Oz on a working holiday visa at the time.

That's excellent......

We are offshore and are also lodging Brisbane so nice to know the time frame wasn't too bad. Am not sure if being onshore makes any difference?

Where about are you located and how is it going being sponsored for 2 years?

Aly_James Jun 19th 2008 9:42 am

I doubt being onshore makes a difference, since they issued a bridging visa making it unnecessary to rush the RSMS through.

We are living up in Cairns, moved up in Nov. James has been sponsored as a teacher. I am still looking for work!

janjanxx Jun 19th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Aly_James (Post 6481730)
I doubt being onshore makes a difference, since they issued a bridging visa making it unnecessary to rush the RSMS through.

We are living up in Cairns, moved up in Nov. James has been sponsored as a teacher. I am still looking for work!

Well we can only hope...

Will let you know how it goes.

Do you have children who went with you?

Burkins Jun 19th 2008 2:27 pm

I hope that our RSMS is as quick!

Burkins Jun 21st 2008 8:29 pm

Is there anyone else with a RSMS?
I can't stand the waiting.....

Bix Jun 24th 2008 9:50 am

Mate in work lodged and they indicated 6-9 weeks.
It's been 9 weeks so far and not got a CO yet.

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6498020)
Mate in work lodged and they indicated 6-9 weeks.
It's been 9 weeks so far and not got a CO yet.

Lodged an RSMS Visa? With which office ?

Bix Jun 24th 2008 10:30 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6498057)
Lodged an RSMS Visa? With which office ?

DIAC Brisbane.

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6498131)
DIAC Brisbane.

Interesting ...... please keep us updated....

My Agent did say it can sit for a couple of months without a CO....

Hopefully 9 weeks - then CO - Then VISA ......

yes please !!

Bix Jun 24th 2008 10:43 am

Things have changed a bit.
When I got my RSMS a couple of years ago it took just 31 days from lodgement date and 2 weeks of that was me writing up extra submissions they asked for.

I wonder if the delay is due to the end of visa year thing.

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6498165)
Things have changed a bit.
When I got my RSMS a couple of years ago it took just 31 days from lodgement date and 2 weeks of that was me writing up extra submissions they asked for.

I wonder if the delay is due to the end of visa year thing.

Not sure - the (estimated) usual time for RSMS (119) is between 3 and a half to 5 months.... I do know that all the 457 Visa's are moving away from Brisbane office so that might speed things up for us ... but then again... who knows... Unfortunately once lodged its in the hands of the Universe !!......

wannabauzzienurse Jun 24th 2008 11:08 am

My friend recently got hers in 12 days (onshore RSMS lodged in Brisbane), my ENS was lodged to Brisbane in Feb and I'm still waiting :thumbdown:

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse (Post 6498222)
My friend recently got hers in 12 days (onshore RSMS lodged in Brisbane), my ENS was lodged to Brisbane in Feb and I'm still waiting :thumbdown:

I think onshore makes a difference.... was she on a 457 to start with?

wannabauzzienurse Jun 24th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6498274)

Yes she was but being onshore has definately not speeded mine up!

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 11:36 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6498274)

Sit tight ... bet you'll get it any day now !! ;-)

Bix Jun 24th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse (Post 6498293)
Yes she was but being onshore has definately not speeded mine up!

My mates is Onshore too.
457 to RSMS

janjanxx Jun 24th 2008 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6498315)
My mates is Onshore too.
457 to RSMS

Hands of the universe ......

janjanxx Jun 25th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6498328)
Hands of the universe ......

Any movement .....

Bix Jun 25th 2008 12:52 pm

Discussion with DICA Brisbane today.

Because of the changes of visa office locations they lost half their staff in Brisbane.

Unfortunately as these things go some egghead decides what the correct staff numbers are but because of the intracacies they don't always get it right do they ? Or maybe they err on the low side purposely in the hope they can reduce staff numbers without anyone noticing.

Upshot is they got it wrong with the consequent delays to visa processing not to mention at a time when the number of applications are actually increasing.

The "standard" email of 6-9 weeks before getting a CO appointed is not valid. Anyone lodging today can expect a 6 month wait. If you are already lodged then it will be less of course. The likes of medical occupations take a higher priority.

They have had to recruit again so will start to catch up but as of today they are processing Jan lodgements.

Medicals that might expire before your case comes up will be treated as sympathetically as possible. Maybe a 15 month validity allowed instead of the usual 12 months. Same for police checks provided you haven't travelled overseas in the meantime.

janjanxx Jun 25th 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6502229)
Discussion with DICA Brisbane today.

Because of the changes of visa office locations they lost half their staff in Brisbane.

Unfortunately as these things go some egghead decides what the correct staff numbers are but because of the intracacies they don't always get it right do they ? Or maybe they err on the low side purposely in the hope they can reduce staff numbers without anyone noticing.

Upshot is they got it wrong with the consequent delays to visa processing not to mention at a time when the number of applications are actually increasing.

The "standard" email of 6-9 weeks before getting a CO appointed is not valid. Anyone lodging today can expect a 6 month wait. If you are already lodged then it will be less of course. The likes of medical occupations take a higher priority.

They have had to recruit again so will start to catch up but as of today they are processing Jan lodgements.

Medicals that might expire before your case comes up will be treated as sympathetically as possible. Maybe a 15 month validity allowed instead of the usual 12 months. Same for police checks provided you haven't travelled overseas in the meantime.

Hmmmmmmmm is there any Agent who can advise further on this ??

janjanxx Jun 25th 2008 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Burkins (Post 6489929)
Is there anyone else with a RSMS?
I can't stand the waiting.....

Burkins..... did you lodge ?

Burkins Jun 25th 2008 7:22 pm

Hi
We have lodged in Adelaide not Brisbane not sure if that will make a difference.

We were told 6 months for visa and approx 3 weeks (from last week) for CO. We have acknowledgement and receipt for taking the money from our account but nothing since!

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Burkins (Post 6503373)
Hi
We have lodged in Adelaide not Brisbane not sure if that will make a difference.

We were told 6 months for visa and approx 3 weeks (from last week) for CO. We have acknowledgement and receipt for taking the money from our account but nothing since!

Will be interesting to see the different time frames with Bris and Adelaide... keep us posted on your CO

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6504529)
Will be interesting to see the different time frames with Bris and Adelaide... keep us posted on your CO

Hi janjanxx,

I lodged my RSMS at the Perth Business Centre on 5th May and got acknowlegement on 12th May, Visa charge taken and told who my CO was.
Since then, not a dickie bird.

I was expecting to hear from them by now, as I am awaiting instruction on having Medicals done, if it takes much longer, I may have to have new police checks done, as the existing checks were done in early March and this may leave me a very short window in time to sell the house and sort my affairs out,in time (first entry to Aus, being March 2009) if I don't get the visa grant by, say, Nov or Dec.

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Nick.d (Post 6504803)
Hi janjanxx,

I lodged my RSMS at the Perth Business Centre on 5th May and got acknowlegement on 12th May, Visa charge taken and told who my CO was.
Since then, not a dickie bird.

I was expecting to hear from them by now, as I am awaiting instruction on having Medicals done, if it takes much longer, I may have to have new police checks done, as the existing checks were done in early March and this may leave me a very short window in time to sell the house and sort my affairs out,in time (first entry to Aus, being March 2009) if I don't get the visa grant by, say, Nov or Dec.

Hi Nick - thanks for that....

Hmmmm.... That was quick for a CO ... wonder why nothing yet? Are medical valid for a year? I would say do it.....

We have done everything... pcc and medicals all done.. our medicals were don in April.... and we are hoping to lodge MONDAY !! So say sweet prayers!! And send Karma !!

How are things going with your daughter?

Why not give your CO a call and find out .... are we allowed to do that lol?

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 9:01 am

Originally Posted by janjanxx (Post 6504821)
Hi Nick - thanks for that....

Hmmmm.... That was quick for a CO ... wonder why nothing yet? Are medical valid for a year? I would say do it.....

We have done everything... pcc and medicals all done.. our medicals were don in April.... and we are hoping to lodge MONDAY !! So say sweet prayers!! And send Karma !!

How are things going with your daughter?

Why not give your CO a call and find out .... are we allowed to do that lol?

Yes I was surprised that CO was alotted to me as soon as I got acknowlegement.

Medicals are valid in most cases for a year, but I think your first entry date will be a year from the earliest of either the police checks or medicals. so the possible scenario for me is that I don't get visa grant till maybe Dec and because the police checks were done in March this year, they will give me three months to get there, two months if I dont hear by Jan and one month if I don't hear by Feb.
As my case is a little complicated, due to previous medical problems, I cannot anticipate a definite positive outcome, so cannot really put house up for sale until I know for sure.

I think you can contact the case officer, on my letter from DIAC, it gives out a tel no that the CO can be contacted on.

My Daughter is OK, although she is adamant that she will not be coming with me just yet, she is trying to find ways of finding rented accomodation as well as looking into all the grants and like, that she will be entitled to, as she is in higher education still.

Good luck with your application...... Karma is being sent.

Nick

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Nick.d (Post 6504856)

Medicals are valid in most cases for a year, but I think your first entry date will be a year from the earliest of either the police checks or medicals. so the possible scenario for me is that I don't get visa grant till maybe Dec and because the police checks were done in March this year, they will give me three months to get there, two months if I dont hear by Jan and one month if I don't hear by Feb.
As my case is a little complicated, due to previous medical problems, I cannot anticipate a definite positive outcome, so cannot really put house up for sale until I know for sure.

I think you can contact the case officer, on my letter from DIAC, it gives out a tel no that the CO can be contacted on.

My Daughter is OK, although she is adamant that she will not be coming with me just yet, she is trying to find ways of finding rented accomodation as well as looking into all the grants and like, that she will be entitled to, as she is in higher education still.

Nick

THANK YOU !! We all know we need lots of luck !!

At least she is being sensible about finding out where she will be once you have left ...

Hmm.. dont sit tooo long... if you dont hear anything CALL THEM... that's why they are there....
Keep me updated...

Burkins Jun 26th 2008 9:57 am

Hi Nick
I would give the CO a call and ask for a time estimate from them. When we lodged our RSMS we were given a current processing time - did you?

Good luck
Sonya

Bix Jun 26th 2008 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Nick.d (Post 6504856)

Nick

Hi Nick.

If I understand correctly you are saying you need to get to Aus before the meds and police checks expire ?

In my experience that is not so.

The validity dates are only relevant to the visa application process. Doesn't matter when they expire after getting the visa grant.

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Burkins (Post 6504998)
Hi Nick
I would give the CO a call and ask for a time estimate from them. When we lodged our RSMS we were given a current processing time - did you?

Good luck
Sonya

Hi Sonya,
Sorry I should have mentioned, that on the acknowlegement letter, it also said "currently, the majority of visa applications are taking six months to complete on average".

Nick

Nick.d Jun 26th 2008 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6505051)
Hi Nick.

If I understand correctly you are saying you need to get to Aus before the meds and police checks expire ?

In my experience that is not so.

The validity dates are only relevant to the visa application process. Doesn't matter when they expire after getting the visa grant.

Hi Bix,

I think, what I am trying to say, is that if and when this visa is granted, there will be a "first entry" date at which I have to enter Australia by, either to validate my visa or move over there. this "first entry" date is usually calculated from, the date you had your medical or police checks done, whichever was done first, and is usually twelve months on from that date.

With the RSMS Visa, once you have entered Australia, to validate, you must then start work within the following 6 months or your visa can be cancelled. This is unlike other visa's where you can go on Holiday to validate and not go back to live in Australia for up to the next 5years.

So its pretty pointless just validating a RSMS visa by way of a holiday because of the conditions imposed stating that you must start work within 6 months of arrival.

Hence the worry about not being told either way until maybe DEC and then having to be there by March, which will be 12 months on from my police checks.

Nick

Bix Jun 26th 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for the explanation Nick.

However please try to double check these points as I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think there is a validation date with RSMS like there is with other visas. The only requirement I am aware of is that you have to take up the post within 6 months of arriving in Aus.

I also don't think the meds or police checks come into play once you have the visa grant.

janjanxx Jun 26th 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bix (Post 6505508)
Thanks for the explanation Nick.

However please try to double check these points as I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't think there is a validation date with RSMS like there is with other visas. The only requirement I am aware of is that you have to take up the post within 6 months of arriving in Aus.

I also don't think the meds or police checks come into play once you have the visa grant.

I think like Bix !!... double check that ...
"google" .. "google"

ponyrama Jun 26th 2008 6:28 pm

Blimey I just found this thread and now I'm thoroughly depressed. I am waiting for formal job offer (had provisional subject to occy health etc) and already have PCC's - hoping to lodge nomination and visa app at same time in Sydney/Parramatta, then will book meds straight away. I am aiming for a November/December date to move to Oz but from the way you lot are talking I could be looking at next year? :eek:

I cant cope, I need a lie down and a large G&T.:(

Burkins Jun 26th 2008 6:59 pm

Just starting on the beer myself!!

Bix Jun 26th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 6506909)
Blimey I just found this thread and now I'm thoroughly depressed. I am waiting for formal job offer (had provisional subject to occy health etc) and already have PCC's - hoping to lodge nomination and visa app at same time in Sydney/Parramatta, then will book meds straight away. I am aiming for a November/December date to move to Oz but from the way you lot are talking I could be looking at next year? :eek:

I cant cope, I need a lie down and a large G&T.:(

But medical type jobs do get priority so you may strike lucky P.