Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Anyone going thru Job Search route for PR to NZ?

Anyone going thru Job Search route for PR to NZ?

Old May 24th 2002, 12:35 pm
ams
Forum Regular

ams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone going thru Job Search route for PR to NZ?

NZ....I'm within 5 pts. of passmark 25 (24 to be precise)....

In this forum it seems few are applying for PR to NZ.......

Would like to know someone considering this option or has gone ahead with it....

Ams
Old May 24th 2002, 8:38 pm
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone going thru Job Search route for PR to NZ?

ams
A friend of mine has just got his visa for Nz
Send me a private message or search threads by garrisondamn (he used to frequent this site) to get his email address

Col
Old May 25th 2002, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in exactly the same boat as you.. 23 points at the moment... 24 when i finish my PhD.

So we had several choices..
1) apply now... knowing that we are short... but getting a 6 month working visa to go find a job. The problem with this is that the visa is only applicable for the principle applicant and so the partner would either have to stay at home or be a dead finacial weight in NZ. Neither of these options seemed fun.

2) Both apply for a working holiday visa... give us a year to find a job and both of us can work. so no financial deadweight.

We're off in August... just got to sell what we don't want to take... store what we don't need immediately and crate what we are going to send.. then there's the new bank accounts, somewhere to live, car.... the list is seemingly endless.

Once a job is secured.. all the forms are sent to NZIS... takes about 2 weeks to 3 months judging from the responses on here... and then hopefully bob's your uncle and we're off .

hope this rambling post has been of some use

Paul
Old May 28th 2002, 7:24 am
ams
Forum Regular

Thanks for your inputs.....

Could I expect some more information please....??

How long does it take to get a Job Search visa for NZ (by applying for a PR) ?

Ams
Old May 29th 2002, 11:20 am
Jaj

Paul I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the 6 month work permit for yourself,
and a working holiday visa for your partner? Jeremy

>On 25 May 2002 15:20:17 GMT, p__sullivan <[email protected]> wrote:

>We are in exactly the same boat as you.. 23 points at the moment... 24 when i
    >finish my PhD.
    >
    >So we had several choices..
    >1) apply now... knowing that we are short... but getting a 6 month working visa to
    > go find a job. The problem with this is that the visa is only applicable for the
    > principle applicant and so the partner would either have to stay at home or be a
    > dead finacial weight in NZ. Neither of these options seemed fun.
    >
    >2) Both apply for a working holiday visa... give us a year to find a job and both of
    > us can work. so no financial deadweight.
    >
    >We're off in August... just got to sell what we don't want to take... store what we
    >don't need immediately and crate what we are going to send.. then there's the new
    >bank accounts, somewhere to live, car.... the list is seemingly endless.
    >
    >Once a job is secured.. all the forms are sent to NZIS... takes about 2 weeks to 3
    >months judging from the responses on here... and then hopefully bob's your uncle and
    >we're off .
    >
    >hope this rambling post has been of some use
    >
    >Paul

Old May 31st 2002, 5:50 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

I've another suggestion, which is not based on any concrete information about the NZ passmark changing in the future.

For many years the passmark was 24 points. The number of PR approvals (Gen Skills) in those years was always a lot lower than the new higher limits that apply from 2002.

The passmark went up to 25 points in January 2002, I believe probably in response to unprecedented numbers of applicants in the wake of the WTC 9/11 disaster - it limited applications a bit, a slightly better qualified applicant reached the passmark, and it made processing more orderly. I guess hordes of (panicked?) people saw NZ as a great destination not only for all its attributes (geography, demographics, economic possibilities etc) but also because NZ actively welcomes migrants and was clearly not going to figure highly on terrorist target lists.

The panic is over and I personally believe the passmark will go back to 24 in due course, maybe quite soon, in order for the NZIS to reach its immigration targets - there are no prizes for undershooting.

So my advice would be to tarry not, and go ahead with work permits, working holiday visas etc, but keep a mean eye on NZIS communications, as maybe that passmark will come back down to 24 quite soon and you can reapply for PR within NZ.

All the best
Old May 31st 2002, 6:48 am
ams
Forum Regular

Hi Paul, Jaj & Newstartnz....

You guys are darling in replying....After a careful thought I plan to go ahead with the work visa stuff. I got couple of relatives downunder in NZ who officially do not qualify as sponsors but are more than willing to help me out when I'm there. So I guess issues like networking/contacts to secure jobs won't be much of an issue. Been doing some research on jobs and it seems for me (Oracle) they are just short of plenty. NZ work culture suits me....small orgs....limited people....BUT STABLE... Well....if the passmark comes down.....great....I'll keep my fingures crossed.

Ams