Anyone get PR without a Degree?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone get PR without a Degree?

Hey Guys,

I have been living and working in Australia since 1999 so my friends and life is there.

I cancelled a 457 Visa that was good until 2010 because my family member was really sick and I needed to go home, some things are more important in life.

Anyway, being a sales and marketing manager, getting work back in Aus is no problem, unfortunately my last company cant sponsor and are not hiring right now...

I was thinking about going through the process of applying for PR off my own back and maybe using a UK based or Australian Based Immigration lawyer to help me get it.

I have been on 457 visas since 99 and now need to sort this out.

The only snag is, I dont have a degree, and it looks to be a big chunk of points, 60, versus 4 years of australian related work exp (10 points, which is odd)....

SO, I wanted to know if anyone here has been successful getting PR without a degree or is an application killer unless you are a brain surgeon.

Any help or recommendations of a decent migration lawyer would be great.

Cheers

Daniel
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone get PR without a Degree?

sorry meant to add I am back in the UK..
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:29 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

My mate got PR without the degree, but that was in IT subject and had to do an RPL to prove he had learnt enough while working to cover the lack of degree.

Speak to George Lombard he will know...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:30 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

what is your area of expertise? to lodge a valid application for the skilled independent visa you need to have a successful skills assessment as a pre-requisite. Some assessing authorities do accept applications on experience only (like the ACS), so not having a degree is not necessarily a showstopper.

NJ
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hey thanks for the responses.

I am a Sales and marketing Manager within software and online industries. Essentially like SEEK and Monster where I have worked so selling web technology. I know the classification for Sales and marketing Manager is in there but it doesnt go any deeper.

cheers
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

rickgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sherro,

I am just trying to do my PR and am on a 457 but with no degree. The biggest killer for me was that the accessing body for sales does not access work experience. You need to look at the accessing body for the relevant SOL code, and find out if they will access work experience, or try a different job description

I have had to put it of and get my employer to sponsor my PR and wait another 10 months until i have been on a 457 for 2 years.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going to be regional? An RSMS employer sponsored visa doesn't have a skills assessment requirement as such but you must have the relevant qualifications for the nominated position, which are equivalent to at least an Australian diploma level. Maybe easier to reach these goals....
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah i got stopped in my tracks here, as far as applying for individual skills migration. I spoke to one of the Visa Immigration companies who stated that if I dont have a degree that looks to be close to what I have chosen in my career, or a degree at a minimum pkus work experience then I wont get it that way. they clearly had little hope i would as she tried to get me off the phone.

Sponsorship is an option followed by ENS Permanent Residency so I will go down that path eventually. But think a couple of years working in Asia first might be the go, thanks for your input here.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
Yeah i got stopped in my tracks here, as far as applying for individual skills migration. I spoke to one of the Visa Immigration companies who stated that if I dont have a degree that looks to be close to what I have chosen in my career, or a degree at a minimum pkus work experience then I wont get it that way. they clearly had little hope i would as she tried to get me off the phone.
Are you a senior manager (ie, a manager who manages other managers, who in turn supervise staff)?
Old Dec 5th 2008, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Norman S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sherro
Hey Guys,

I have been living and working in Australia since 1999 so my friends and life is there.

I cancelled a 457 Visa that was good until 2010 because my family member was really sick and I needed to go home, some things are more important in life.

Anyway, being a sales and marketing manager, getting work back in Aus is no problem, unfortunately my last company cant sponsor and are not hiring right now...

I was thinking about going through the process of applying for PR off my own back and maybe using a UK based or Australian Based Immigration lawyer to help me get it.

I have been on 457 visas since 99 and now need to sort this out.

The only snag is, I dont have a degree, and it looks to be a big chunk of points, 60, versus 4 years of australian related work exp (10 points, which is odd)....

SO, I wanted to know if anyone here has been successful getting PR without a degree or is an application killer unless you are a brain surgeon.

Any help or recommendations of a decent migration lawyer would be great.

Cheers

Daniel
Daniel, have a look at this link and see if you're any hope of getting a skills assessment from the Australian Institute of Management.

http://www.aim.com.au/migration/criteria.html