ANYHELP WOULD BE GRATELY RECIEVED :(

Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

thepoison is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation ANYHELP WOULD BE GRATELY RECIEVED :(

Okay so firstly let me introduce myself, my names Alex, im 19 and I live in Northern Ireland. Im new to the whole forums and idea of moving to Australia.

So as i said any help would be grately appreciated,
I dont know very much about visas and permanent residence in Australia as I have read so so many websites telling me so much.

Im a chef by trade (no qualifications but 4 years experience) I have a BTEC National Diploma in Business.

Id really like to live in Australia because I see it as a fresh start because my life here in the conflict country hasnt been great and i have no family left.

If anyone could tell me my best way of getting to live in Australia eventually id be forever in your debt.

Yours,
Alex
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:27 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANYHELP WOULD BE GRATELY RECIEVED :(

Hi Alex,

The most straightforward way (usually) of migrating to Australia is to have a skill that is on the list of occupations in demand. The list is at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/ and the one that is currently applicable is Schedule 3. Currently, chef is not on the list.

Also it is likely that your lack of qualifications relating to your work would not allow you to qualify for a skill assessment (however I'm certainly not an expert on chefs and their requirements).

At the moment all the States and Territories of Australia have a list of occupations that they feel are required in each particular state/territory - and they will sponsor applicants that apply for state sponsorship and fulfil their particular requirements - this is called a 176 SS visa. I am pretty sure you would also need to pass a skill assessment to be eligible for this though as well and it would come down to lack of qualifications again.

Other people come over after finding an employer who wishes to sponsor them to fill a particular vacancy. Often these are temporary visas (usually 457 visas) for a period up to 4 years.

Other people come over on Working Holiday Visas to see if they like Australia before commiting to stay here - these visas allow people from eligible countries (UK is eligible) to come to Australia for 12 months during which time they can work and travel etc. There are a few restrictions and rules - for example you can only work for each individual employer for a maximum of 6 months. Also if you do 3 months 'regional' work which often includes things like fruit picking you can qualify for a further 12 month visa - so 24 months in all.

This might be a consideration for you while you're still young - to see if you like Australia first of all and to get an idea of what it's like.

Try looking through www.immi.gov.au which is the main Australian Immigration site.

Good luck!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thepoison
Okay so firstly let me introduce myself, my names Alex, im 19 and I live in Northern Ireland. Im new to the whole forums and idea of moving to Australia.

I dont know very much about visas and permanent residence in Australia as I have read so so many websites telling me so much.

Im a chef by trade (no qualifications but 4 years experience) I have a BTEC National Diploma in Business.

Id really like to live in Australia because I see it as a fresh start because my life here in the conflict country hasnt been great and i have no family left.

If anyone could tell me my best way of getting to live in Australia eventually id be forever in your debt.

Yours,
Alex
www.immi.gov.au

Forgive me for sounding thick, but you're 19 and a chef with 4 years experience? How is that possible? Did you finish your apprenticeship when you were 15? that would mean you started when you were 12!

To get here forever, you need to do formal training - get an apprenticeship or go to uni and get a degree in an occupation. Get some work experience post apprenticeship/uni then apply for a skilled visa. I don't think chef is on the skilled list anymore, so unless you can find someone to sponsor you it's unlikely you will get in now.

In the meantime, at age 19 why don't you come over for a year on a working holiday visa and see if you actually like Australia?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, in regards to my chef skills, i never was an apprentice, i started working in a local resteraunt when i was 14/15 and worked their ever since.

secondly when you talk about coming over for a year for work experience to see if i like australia, do i need an employer before i go? or just go and find one?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:52 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, in regards to my chef skills, i never was an apprentice, i started working in a local resteraunt when i was 14/15 and worked their ever since.

secondly when you talk about coming over for a year for work experience to see if i like australia, do i need an employer before i go? or just go and find one?
You'd apply for a Working Holiday Visa, quite a simple process I'm told. Where in NI r u?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
You'd apply for a Working Holiday Visa, quite a simple process I'm told. Where in NI r u?
a weee town called Magherafelt, 45 mins from belfast

just wondering do i need an employer before i go
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

a weee town called Magherafelt, 45 mins from belfast

just wondering do i need an employer before i go
No u don't, a lot of backpackers go on a WHV and just travel around doing work here and there. I think you can only work for one employer for 6 months then you have to move on to another...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Yours,
Alex
Hi there

I would agree that the best way for you to get experience that would allow you to stay in Australia would be to come here on a WHV. You can gain experience and get to know employers, by doing this you will be able to speak to people and see if anyone can help you out with regards to staying longer after WHV expires.

You can get a lot of info on this online or you can contact a visa expert.You are still young and getting the opportunity to experience Aussie life and work is going to be a great experience.

We are from Ballymena and been here over 2 years... Good luck with it all...

Nadine
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:06 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

YEha mate come on a WHV...Do your 3 montsh rurual straight away and this will give you 21 months.

You will fidn work with your experience I know a few guys in your situation who have done the same but realistically you will never be able to stay long term as a chef and longterm you will need quals.

Unless you marry an Aussie girl of course.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Weebie
YEha mate come on a WHV...Do your 3 montsh rurual straight away and this will give you 21 months.

You will fidn work with your experience I know a few guys in your situation who have done the same but realistically you will never be able to stay long term as a chef and longterm you will need quals.

Unless you marry an Aussie girl of course.
what do you mean do "your 3 montsh rurual straight away and this will give you 21 months"
and do you mean to be a chef until i get different qualifications?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean do "your 3 montsh rurual straight away and this will give you 21 months"
Sorry love but working in a restaurant since age 15 does not make you a chef. It makes you a cook.

Did you look at the DIAC site link I gave you? www.immi.gov.au is where you look. When you get to the DIAC home page search for working holiday visa. You will find the answers to what you need to do and how the visa works.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sorry love but working in a restaurant since age 15 does not make you a chef. It makes you a cook.

Did you look at the DIAC site link I gave you? www.immi.gov.au is where you look. When you get to the DIAC home page search for working holiday visa. You will find the answers to what you need to do and how the visa works.
Sorry let me be clear, i consider myself a chef, because being in charge of the day to day running of a resteraunt kitchen, having 6 members of staff below me and under my control (not like dr.evil) and creating,preparing and cooking the menu makes me a chef

thanks for the link
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Normally people are only allowed one 12 month WHV, however if they work for three months in a regional area of Australia doing specific types of work e.g. farming then they can get two WHVs.

So weebie is suggesting you come over, do the three months of regional work straight away and then you have an uninterruped 21 months of time on WHVs.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:33 am
Just Joined

brighter2moro is on a distinguished road

Hi Alex. If you did want to go to Australia permanently without trying it first (which sounds like the more sensible option), here's my understanding of what you'd need to do:

1. You need to have your skills assessed. If you don't have a formal/informal apprenticeship or at least 900 hours of formal training, you will need an Australian qualification called an AQFIII which you can apply for (at a cost) from NI.

2. With an AQFIII, you can apply for a skills assessment through the TRA (a skills assessment body) under 'Pathway E'. That does require you to have at least four years experience, and you'd be better to nominate 'cook' rather than 'chef' as the requirements for that occupation are less rigorous (Chef requires more work experience).

3. Cook (or Chef) isn't on the main list of occupations needed (schedule 3 of the SOL), so you'll need to have your application sponsored by a state. Not all of them are looking to sponsor either occupation so you'll need to apply to state that has your occupation on the list. This is another good reason to get a WHV first, and travel around to sample the different parts of the country.

That's your application in a nutshell: AQFIII (Aussie qual), TRA (skills assessment), SS (sponsorship), the DIAC (visa application).

The wider consideration is that there's almost certainly not enough time to do the first three steps and get your application lodged before the new points scoring system gets put into place by the DIAC in July. So... you ought to be looking at the new points scoring system and seeing whether you qualify. You may need to sit an IELTS english test to make up a shortfall in points.

That's my take on it anyway, although I'm just a regular joe. An agent should be able to give you better help if there are any feeling kind enough!

Last edited by brighter2moro; Jan 5th 2011 at 10:38 am.