Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Any help or advice for a maintence electrical engineer looking to work in Australia?

Any help or advice for a maintence electrical engineer looking to work in Australia?

Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

myoung5691 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any help or advice for a maintence electrical engineer looking to work in Australia?

Hi, I'm 28 years old currently living in the UK who is looking to move over to Australia. In the UK I'm classed as a field service electrical engineer. I'm looking to obtain a similar role in Australia if possible but I'm having trouble finding the equivalent of my qualifications in Australia and also if id be classed as an engineer, technician or electrical engineer and was hoping for some advice?

So far I've contacted numerous agencies and I am still trying to find out more information about a skills assessment and how to go about it.

I have almost 9 years experience including a four year apprenticeship in my current role and possess the qualifications found below:

Foundation degree electrical electronic engineering - Staffordshire university
NVQ level 3 - electrical maintenance engineering
BTEC national certificate - engineering studies

The simplest option for me to work in the country appears to be through the 12month working holiday visa, with the hope of getting sponsored.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Feb 5th 2018, 11:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help or advice for a maintence electrical engineer looking to work in Austral

Originally Posted by myoung5691
Hi, I'm 28 years old currently living in the UK who is looking to move over to Australia. In the UK I'm classed as a field service electrical engineer. I'm looking to obtain a similar role in Australia if possible but I'm having trouble finding the equivalent of my qualifications in Australia and also if id be classed as an engineer, technician or electrical engineer and was hoping for some advice?

So far I've contacted numerous agencies and I am still trying to find out more information about a skills assessment and how to go about it.

I have almost 9 years experience including a four year apprenticeship in my current role and possess the qualifications found below:

Foundation degree electrical electronic engineering - Staffordshire university
NVQ level 3 - electrical maintenance engineering
BTEC national certificate - engineering studies

The simplest option for me to work in the country appears to be through the 12month working holiday visa, with the hope of getting sponsored.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks
I don't think a foundation degree is suitable to be considered an engineer in Australia, at least in terms of skills assessment but the place to check would be the Engineers Australia website.

A working holiday visa is just that - an extended holiday that allows you to work within the restrictions of the visa. If your current employer will give you a career break though, a WHV can be a good way to see Australia and see if the country suits you.

Unfortunately, electrical work is mostly licensed and obtaining that license has a number of hoops to jump through. Starting point for that would be an assessment as either general electrician or electrician special class. But this may be the best option for a permanent move to Australia. The best permanent visa would be the 189 as it gives the most options - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/189-

For this, you would need an occupation on the skills list, be able to pass the skills assessment in that occupation, and meet the required points for the visa as well as health and character requirements. For points, only skilled experience is counted so discount apprenticeship years at least.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 9:20 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any help or advice for a maintence electrical engineer looking to work in Austral

Its a long time since I got my first visa, but I was in a similar position to you. I have passed on this advice to others before - don't forget that your aim is to get a visa. I was a fully qualified Electrical Engineer in the UK, but for skills assessment 'Electrical Fitter' got me a positive result, Electrical Engineer didn't tick all the boxes. Don't get hung up on the title, cross check the skills that will get you a positive assessment. In theory your apprenticeship indentures. BTEC and 5 years experience should get you there.

Once you have a visa, you can use what ever job title you want. You may still need to get extra training when you arrive though for licensing etc. Get the visa first, then look at the next steps.

Last edited by spuddyo; Feb 11th 2018 at 9:24 pm.