Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

any hairdresser/beauty therapists out there???

Wikiposts

any hairdresser/beauty therapists out there???

Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:18 am
Just Joined

blondebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any hairdresser/beauty therapists out there???

just wondering if anyone else was a hairdresser or beauty therapist either already in oz or waiting to go??? whats the undustry like??good money/prospects??whats the working culture like?? hope you dont mind me asking its just i have been at home bringing up kids for the last 8 years and am aiming to work when/if i get to oz! would just like to know what to expect.
hubby is in the recruitment line of things and was wondering what that was like too!!??
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any hairdresser/beauty therapists out there???

Originally posted by blondebird
just wondering if anyone else was a hairdresser or beauty therapist either already in oz or waiting to go??? whats the undustry like??good money/prospects??whats the working culture like?? hope you dont mind me asking its just i have been at home bringing up kids for the last 8 years and am aiming to work when/if i get to oz! would just like to know what to expect.
hubby is in the recruitment line of things and was wondering what that was like too!!??
YEP, ME!
seems ok, but not as proffessional as uk. Ie i was left for about 10 mins on my own with an elt on and it was stinging!!
Also theres a lot of hairdressers with the dreaded beauticians in there who have basically done an hours trasining and are "qualified"

I am going back to being self employed as i don't like the work ethic of most of the places, however pay is fairly good if you find a nice one!
Good luck
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:40 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm not clear as to which immigration stream you may be
choosing to pursue but there is a fairly strict requirement for
recent work experience, if you choose to go down the general
skilled immigration path (47SK). This would mean that the main
applicant needs to have at least 12 months of work experience
in the last 18 months immediately preceding the lodgement of
an application for migration.

My partner is an experienced beauty therapist and we considered having her skills assessed too, as she meets all other pre-requisites for the point test. Unfortunately, it would seem that
beauty therapists are located in the ASCO major group 6 (Intermediate Clerical, Sales and Service Workers) which are not
included in the SOL. An applicants occupation must be on the SOL if they wish to apply for general skilled migration and so this prevented us from trying to claim the extra 5 points.

Check out the following link as a starting point for assessing your
suitability for an application for immigration under the skilled
migration stream:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm

P.S. In the event that you may have already figured all of this out for yourself and are merely enquiring about the state of the beauty and recruitment job market in Oz, please feel free to completely ignore me!

I hope that this helps?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:42 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Well, I'm not clear as to which immigration stream you may be
choosing to pursue but there is a fairly strict requirement for
recent work experience, if you choose to go down the general
skilled immigration path (47SK). This would mean that the main
applicant needs to have at least 12 months of work experience
in the last 18 months immediately preceding the lodgement of
an application for migration.

My partner is an experienced beauty therapist and we considered having her skills assessed too, as she meets all other pre-requisites for the point test. Unfortunately, it would seem that
beauty therapists are located in the ASCO major group 6 (Intermediate Clerical, Sales and Service Workers) which are not
included in the SOL. An applicants occupation must be on the SOL if they wish to apply for general skilled migration and so this prevented us from trying to claim the extra 5 points.

Check out the following link as a starting point for assessing your
suitability for an application for immigration under the skilled
migration stream:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm

P.S. In the event that you may have already figured all of this out for yourself and are merely enquiring about the state of the beauty and recruitment job market in Oz, please feel free to completely ignore me!

I hope that this helps?
Hevs, did you manage to get in as the main applicant for migration
using you Beauty Therapist occupation? As far as I can see, the
SOL only covers up to ASCO major group 4 and not 6?

Hmmm?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 10:50 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hevs, did you manage to get in as the main applicant for migration
using you Beauty Therapist occupation? As far as I can see, the
SOL only covers up to ASCO major group 4 and not 6?

Hmmm?
No, iam a hairdresser and beauty therapist, as is the origional poster!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

for more info although i have been at home bringing up the kids for the past 8 years i am a fully qualified hairdresser and have been working from home.i recently went back to college to re-train as a beauty therapist.i did get my city and guilds in hairdressing AND beauty therapy but i chose not to persue the beauty side of things.i am currently debating whether or not of finnishing the course as it seems a fass!!havent learnt any more than i did the first time round just refreshed my skills.
i did go to imi.gov to test myself and funnily enough i got excepted as a hairdresser but as a accounts manager my husband was turned down??!!!it didnt ask if my last few years experience in the industry had been at home ie self employed so i dont know if it would have made a difference??to be honest i have found on this course that maybe the beauty industry is not for me(been in a bitchy industry for too many years!!thats why i got out!!)and so i just wondered if i asked about it in oz if i would get a feel for what it might be like!!am thinking now that i might just let my hubby do what he does best and find the job for me!!!if we go i think it will be through him getting a job in oz and taking the family!!!
thanks for advise........as you can hear i is a little confused at what to do and the talk of going to oz again has just brought it to my attention that i need to be happy with what i want to do before we go anywhere!!!
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:27 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

for more info although i have been at home bringing up the kids for the past 8 years i am a fully qualified hairdresser and have been working from home.i recently went back to college to re-train as a beauty therapist.i did get my city and guilds in hairdressing AND beauty therapy but i chose not to persue the beauty side of things.i am currently debating whether or not of finnishing the course as it seems a fass!!havent learnt any more than i did the first time round just refreshed my skills.
i did go to imi.gov to test myself and funnily enough i got excepted as a hairdresser but as a accounts manager my husband was turned down??!!!it didnt ask if my last few years experience in the industry had been at home ie self employed so i dont know if it would have made a difference??to be honest i have found on this course that maybe the beauty industry is not for me(been in a bitchy industry for too many years!!thats why i got out!!)and so i just wondered if i asked about it in oz if i would get a feel for what it might be like!!am thinking now that i might just let my hubby do what he does best and find the job for me!!!if we go i think it will be through him getting a job in oz and taking the family!!!
thanks for advise........as you can hear i is a little confused at what to do and the talk of going to oz again has just brought it to my attention that i need to be happy with what i want to do before we go anywhere!!!
The occupation of hairdresser has actually been classified as not only an occupation worthy of the SOL but also an occupation worthy of being placed on the MODL (a list for occupations in demand in Oz). If you choose to apply as a hairdresser, you will receive an extra 10 points (based on the fact that your skills assessment satisfy the TRA for suitability) and if you have a job offer before you apply, you can receive 15 points (thats 10 for occupation and 5 for job offer). This is why your online test gave you the green light; it is on the MODL.

However, if you have been working at home, you will need to be able to provide a wealth of information to back up your work experience and this can take the form of references from suppliers and clients (which may need to be backed up by a statutory declaration in each case) and just about anything else that testifies to the fact that you have been self-employed as a hairdresser. Bear in mind, that apparently it is harder to prove experience of self-employment than it is when you have been employed by someone else.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 10:33 am
Just Joined

yes it does and thanks!!!! puts a whole new scope on things as like i said i really dont know what i want to do at the moment anyway!!!
thanks for the help!!