Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Any CIMA qualified out there that can help?

Wikiposts

Any CIMA qualified out there that can help?

Old Feb 24th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Big Ellie! is on a distinguished road
Smile Any CIMA qualified out there that can help?

Hi

After a few weeks of reading these pages, we're finally at the stage of asking some questions!

With my 35th birthday looming, we need to get cracking if we are not to lose any further points for my age!

I'm CIMA qualified and have been for 10 years although I haven't worked in Finance for the last 3 years. I was surprised to note that when I called CIMA, that it doesn't appear that it is a fully fledged qualification in Oz?

Has anyone applied for an independant visa on the strength of their CIMA qualification and if so how did you get on with the skills assesment.

I note that accountants are one of the short list of in-demand jobs and additional points are available above the original 60. Were you able to qualify for these with CIMA?

Is it a condition of the points that you complete the Australian chartered exams if your application is succesful?

Would love to hear from anyone that can help - if I only have 1 shot, I need to make sure we apply under the right job title as I could otherwise apply via the AIM as a general mgr

Hope to hear soon! (And looking forward to helping others in future!)

Jamie (Mr Big Ellie!)
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any CIMA qualified out there that can help?

Originally Posted by Big Ellie!
Hi

After a few weeks of reading these pages, we're finally at the stage of asking some questions!

With my 35th birthday looming, we need to get cracking if we are not to lose any further points for my age!

I'm CIMA qualified and have been for 10 years although I haven't worked in Finance for the last 3 years. I was surprised to note that when I called CIMA, that it doesn't appear that it is a fully fledged qualification in Oz?

Has anyone applied for an independant visa on the strength of their CIMA qualification and if so how did you get on with the skills assesment.

I note that accountants are one of the short list of in-demand jobs and additional points are available above the original 60. Were you able to qualify for these with CIMA?

Is it a condition of the points that you complete the Australian chartered exams if your application is succesful?

Would love to hear from anyone that can help - if I only have 1 shot, I need to make sure we apply under the right job title as I could otherwise apply via the AIM as a general mgr

Jamie (Mr Big Ellie!)
Hi Jamie,

I'll try to answer some of your questions if I can, but there are other accountants (some are CIMA) on this forum who should be able to answer as well. Ok here goes...to my knowledge...

CIMA is a partially recognised accounting body with the ICAA (assessing body). Check out this website for further details. http://www.icaa.org.au/entry/index.c...&id=A101420389

I'm waiting on my outcome from the ICAA re my CIMA (I'm 6 years PQE), I'm hoping it's a yes. There are others using 2211-11 ASCO code for their assessment that has gone through. Checkout www.austimeline.com, you can search under ICAA and the ASCO for details of others that have applied and the outcome.

I'm hoping on the 60 points from DIMIA...just depends on your work experience, this is where you may have probs, as your work schedule has to comply with DIMIA's requirements for the last 12 out of 18 months to qualify for additional points.

As to the Aussie chartered exams, I'm not 100% sure yet...can't seem to find a definate answer...but I'm sure someone on this forum will do.

Good luck,
Old Feb 24th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Big Ellie! is on a distinguished road

thanks for the quick response.... will check both the websites, although I have been on the first one already and must admit was still unclear after reading it through

Thought my £175 a year CIMA membership was my ticket to the world when i finished my exams!

Jamie
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:16 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Jamie (Mr Big Ellie!)
Hi Jamie

Just a quick word - my husband is CIMA qualified and his skills assessment was done through the NIA. We used an agent (George Lombard who you may have noticed posts on this forum) to help us with our application. I would say that phraseology is key in your case. Could get hubby on here to try and answer some of your questions but it'll have to be tomorrow now. We need our beauty sleep!

Good luck with it all.

Binbird
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

Jamie

I'm CIMA (qualified 2003) and had no problem obtaining a positive skills assessment from ICAA. You would then be able to use this to apply under 136 Skilled Independent so long as you could satisfy the basic requirement of having been in ANY occupation on the skilled occupations list for 12 out of the last 18 months. You would also be able to claim the extra points for Occupation in Demand.

Under Skilled Independent there is no requirement for you to work as an accountant once you reach Oz. If you wanted to gain an Australian Accounting qualification, CIMA offers partial expemtions from the entry program for ICAA. You would have to pass exams in taxation and company law and then you would be eligible to join the CA program and, essentially, start qualifying all over again (exams, experience requirements and so on).

Generally though, in the major cities, you wouldn't have too much trouble being hired on the basis of your UK qualifications.

Hope this is clear!
Muzza

Hi

Jamie (Mr Big Ellie!)
Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muzza
Under Skilled Independent there is no requirement for you to work as an accountant once you reach Oz. If you wanted to gain an Australian Accounting qualification, CIMA offers partial expemtions from the entry program for ICAA. You would have to pass exams in taxation and company law and then you would be eligible to join the CA program and, essentially, start qualifying all over again (exams, experience requirements and so on).
CIMA members can get exemption from two out of the five papers of the CA program. Plus tax and law bridging study. Expecting more exemptions from CA is not reasonable as the two qualifications have a different focus.

If you look on the ICAA website you will find information on this. There are still hoops to be jumped in terms of work experience.

Unlike Canada, there is no Australian accountancy body that's similar to CIMA. As a result CIMA is building its own profile in Australia, and does work quite closely with the ICAA.

Many Australian recruitment consultants are British, or have lived in the UK for a number of years, and hence do know about the CIMA qualification. The CIMA office in Australia can probably provide you with a list if you ask them.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 25th 2005 at 4:26 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 7:12 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

I'm an FCMA as well, and 15 years PQE. Got my skills assessment from ICAA in 10 days.

Also got 60 points and the MODL points. If you want to use an agent I can recommend Go Matilda.

What are you actually working as if not in finance?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 4:08 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I'm an FCMA as well, and 15 years PQE. Got my skills assessment from ICAA in 10 days.

Also got 60 points and the MODL points. If you want to use an agent I can recommend Go Matilda.

What are you actually working as if not in finance?
I think the question of what you have been working as is important as you need recent relevant experience to get enough points in most cases.

I also recommend Go Matilda.