Wikiposts

Any advice Appreciated!

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:22 am
Just Joined

johneboy78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice Appreciated!

Well,I have been in contact with one migration agent - I pointed out my 'Computer Technician' role is on the Sponsored SOL list 4. However, he informs me that to apply for that I need to have a degree or have done an apprenticeship
He then sent me a list of other IT related Jobs that he says if I can simply prove Ive done those roles for over 8 years! But I havent. So frustrating that the job I do requires a degree/apprenticeship yet these other IT jobs just require experience!
So, at the moment, Im looking down the barrel of having to get sponsorship. But of course, that requires finding a company willing to sponsor you, yet on all the Australian job sites they require a Visa before you apply....
I would be happy to try the sponsorship route, I'm quite open minded about that
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Andy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to allAndy_P is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johneboy78
Well,I have been in contact with one migration agent - I pointed out my 'Computer Technician' role is on the Sponsored SOL list 4. However, he informs me that to apply for that I need to have a degree or have done an apprenticeship
He then sent me a list of other IT related Jobs that he says if I can simply prove Ive done those roles for over 8 years! But I havent. So frustrating that the job I do requires a degree/apprenticeship yet these other IT jobs just require experience!
So, at the moment, Im looking down the barrel of having to get sponsorship. But of course, that requires finding a company willing to sponsor you, yet on all the Australian job sites they require a Visa before you apply....
I would be happy to try the sponsorship route, I'm quite open minded about that

I feel your pain mate.

I was in a similar situation, although my profession is electrician. Time served and with 20+ years of experience, but I was told as I didn't have a degree, I could not be considered for assessment as Electrician (General).

At the time, I was gobsmacked. Single, good health, qualified to just under degree level, no police record, born and bred in England - I was a shoe-in surely? Opened my eyes I can tell you.

Had a hell of a time getting my occupation assessed (with a lot of help from the agents I am using) and finally got a positive result from the TRA as an Electrician (Special class), only to find then that the state I was going to go to for sponsorship had just taken that occupation of its list.

Came very close to giving up then, but decided to go for the 175 PR instead. Finally submitted my application in September 2009 on the very day that the rules changed and 175 applications got afforded a lower priority, and hence would take longer!

Someone up there didn't like me I thought, but last month I got allocated a CO, and have just done my medicals this month. This is the last step (I sincerely hope) before getting granted a visa.

It's been a long, long, long road, but one which will ultimately end up being successful with some more patience and a bit of luck.

You've got to stick at it if you want it.

I'm not saying your experience will be the same. It totally depends on your circumstances, occupation you get assessed as, how the July 1st changes will impact, and a whole bunch of other things.

Good luck on the path you take, I hope it takes you where you want to be.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your message andy - And I really feel for you going through all that!

Our situations are definately similar. Born and raised here in the UK, good health, no criminal record at all, over 10 years in my current line of work - I have a number of qualifications in my job, but no degree.

Sucks!

However, Like you, I wont give up! Where there is a will, there is a way!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johneboy78
Hi guys! Im a newbie here so bare with me!

Im 32 and Im an IT Analyst. Ive been in my current employement for over 10 years now supporting clients IT kit working for a large IT company.
Im seriously considering emigrating to Oz but am unsure where to start.
If your company has a base in Australia then the simpliest way to get here would be the 457 route, sponsored by your current employer. As people have already mentioned, there are some downsides to the 457 route, but there are undoubted benefits to it, not the least of which is the speed it all happens. You could be here within weeks via a 457.

All of which assumes that your company is here and that they would actually want you.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
If your company has a base in Australia then the simpliest way to get here would be the 457 route, sponsored by your current employer. As people have already mentioned, there are some downsides to the 457 route, but there are undoubted benefits to it, not the least of which is the speed it all happens. You could be here within weeks via a 457.

All of which assumes that your company is here and that they would actually want you.
Wish it was that simple - sadly my company is only within Europe and now in the U.S.
I'd have no issues going on a 457 - If I could!

Last edited by johneboy78; Apr 23rd 2011 at 10:08 pm. Reason: Typo