Another couple of hopeful Brits...

Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:40 am
Just Joined

hweb4253 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Another couple of hopeful Brits...

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have been thinking very seriously about moving to Australia from the UK permanently, and this forum was recommended to me by my sister in law (to be) who used it when she made her move to Perth from the UK four years ago. I've been doing some reading up of previous posts and am amazed so far at the detailed information and support available

Anyway - my story is not much different to most other people looking to emigrate, however I'm struggling with identifying what the best route would be for us personally.

Background:

- I am 28, my partner is 52, been together for eight years, will be married before any kind of visa application is made (yes, rather large age gap, but he stopped maturing beyond the age of 15 so it evens out quite well haha)

- My work experience is within universities, running research centres and academic/student support (admin based)

- Partner is a postman, so unskilled, however done a wide variety of manual/maintenance jobs in the past and very happy to do a similar thing in Australia given the chance (he is a young 52, very physically fit and healthy)

- We don't own our house here in the UK, we rent, so there wouldn't be a big pot of money to support the move/use towards a house in Australia, however we have savings that would tide us over in the first few months if we were successful

- We are fairly unfussed about WHERE in Australia we'd like to go. We want hot weather for as much of the year as possible, but can handle the cold/wet seasons as a trade-off (we're just fed up with the continual Autumn/Winter conditions in the UK), and to a good extent we'd let our employment dictate where we end up (just not the very humid/very rainy places).

Now, I understand that given our respective ages/employment prospects, I'd stand a better chance of being accepted than my partner would. Location can be fixed a little later on in the process, but what I'm hoping you guys can help me with is identifying what kind of visa we should be looking at in the first instance.

We're both committed to going to Australia, we are not close to our immediate families, and both by nature very adventurous people, so the appeal of a temporary visa doesn't totally apply to us, however any and all advice you can give me would be hugely appreciated!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Another couple of hopeful Brits...

Just seen that I posted this in the wrong section - probably should have gone under 'immigration etc' - sorry...!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hweb4253
Just seen that I posted this in the wrong section - probably should have gone under 'immigration etc' - sorry...!
Welcome to BE

I'll move your post to Immigration - and the visa is the first hurdle to get over. Does your job actually fall into any category on one of the skills lists?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Pollyanna!

My job falls into several of the ones listed on CSOL, however the ones most relevant would be Quality Assurance Manager/Customer Service Manager/Program Administrator/Records Manager/Corporate Services Manager.

Sounds like a load of 'management-speak' to me (!), but those are probably the ones most like my current job.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Or even 'Research and Development Manager'.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Or even 'Research and Development Manager'.
Have a look at the requirements to get a successful Skills Assessment for those roles, that should help you to see which one is best for you
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyanna!

My job falls into several of the ones listed on CSOL, however the ones most relevant would be Quality Assurance Manager/Customer Service Manager/Program Administrator/Records Manager/Corporate Services Manager.

Sounds like a load of 'management-speak' to me (!), but those are probably the ones most like my current job.

Thanks!
Falling under several job codes is generally disadvantageous rather than advantageous I am afraid. Forget about your OH, they are too old for skilled migration so this is all down to you. I am too confused by your post as to what is your occupation, so probably a consultation with a migration agent is really the best thing for you to do at this point. Unless you can identify a single occupation thwt you fit into of course,