British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Am l an Australian Citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/am-l-australian-citizen-842860/)

malcolmwhite Sep 10th 2014 2:56 pm

Am l an Australian Citizen

Hi everyone.
l'm not sure where to find out about this. l searched here a bit but can't see anything related.
l emigrated to australia with my parents around 1956 when l was 7 years old on the £10 scheme, before returning to the UK.
We spent 10 years in melbourne, but l don't believe my parents applied for citizenship back then.
Just wondering if we would have automatically become citizens after 10 years in the country? and if so, would l still have australian citizenship.
Thanks for any help.
Malcolm.

BritInParis Sep 10th 2014 6:39 pm

Re: Am l an Australian Citizen

The simple answer is no. If you weren't born in Australia then unless your parents naturalised as Australian citizens and included you as a dependent on their application then you won't have received Australian citizenship.

Bermudashorts Sep 10th 2014 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by malcolmwhite (Post 11399699)
Hi everyone.
l'm not sure where to find out about this. l searched here a bit but can't see anything related.
l emigrated to australia with my parents around 1956 when l was 7 years old on the £10 scheme, before returning to the UK.
We spent 10 years in melbourne, but l don't believe my parents applied for citizenship back then.
Just wondering if we would have automatically become citizens after 10 years in the country? and if so, would l still have australian citizenship.
Thanks for any help.
Malcolm.

No, to become a citizen you have to pledge an oath in a formal ceremony, it doesn't happen with time. You wouldn't have had to do it as a child but your parents would have.

malcolmwhite Sep 10th 2014 7:44 pm

OK., thought as much.
Thanks for the help guys.

BritInParis Sep 10th 2014 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by malcolmwhite (Post 11400070)
OK., thought as much.
Thanks for the help guys.

If you can't ask your parents then completing Form 119 will give you the definitive answer. It'll currently cost you AU$60 (~£34) to apply.

JAJ Sep 11th 2014 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11400017)
No, to become a citizen you have to pledge an oath in a formal ceremony, it doesn't happen with time. You wouldn't have had to do it as a child but your parents would have.

Most British migrants who arrived before (around) 1944 did automatically become Australian citizens, if ordinarily resident in Australia in 1949. And, for those who arrived after then, and made an application for Australian citizenship, there was no oath/ceremony requirement until 1973.

JonEthan Dec 3rd 2014 11:23 pm

I believe the 10 year rule applies only to children born in Australia whose parents are neither PR nor citizens.

JAJ Dec 4th 2014 1:30 am

Originally Posted by JonEthan (Post 11491927)
I believe the 10 year rule applies only to children born in Australia whose parents are neither PR nor citizens.

Different situation.
And in any case, those born before 20.08.1986 are automatically Australian citizens by birth. Regardless of immigration status of parents (except diplomats).