Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?

Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

saturn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?

Hi,

I did my bachelors from Cyprus with English being as medium of instruction. I can prove this to DIMA with a letter from my Univ. stating this fact.

My questions is: Am I going to get

15 points (vocational) OR 20 points (competent)

How is DIMA going to decide on it?

-Saturn
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?

Originally posted by saturn
Hi,

I did my bachelors from Cyprus with English being as medium of instruction. I can prove this to DIMA with a letter from my Univ. stating this fact.

-Saturn
Hi,

You'll sit a test,

cheers,
Old Jan 4th 2003, 1:14 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I going to get 15 Points or 20 for English lang. ?

It depends on whether English is the main language in your country. The Country Education Profile for your country ( http://www.dest.gov.au/noosr/cep/index.htm ) generally gives you an idea whether Australia considers Cyprus an English speaking country.

If Cyprus is not considered an English speaking country, you'll most likely be asked to submit your IELTS score later on.

Peter

Old Jan 4th 2003, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Saturn

If the qualicatoin you obtained is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree then DIMIA will normally allow you at least 15 points, and you will be exempt from having to do the IELTS test.

They do not have to give 20 points, it is their discretion, so I guess that was the point of your question. In general DIMIA are giving 20 points in such a situation to the onshore skilled visa (class 880) applicants. This does not mean they will give the full 20 points for the 136 applicants as well though. And even less likely if the degree is an Computing degree. In general for the 136 they have been giving 15 points for a degree taught in english for our clients.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Jan 4th 2003, 5:17 pm
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

Steven,

Thanks for the clarification. However, this raised an issue that I may have to address, hopefully earlier the better. I was assuming that I would be 'granted' 20 points. I do not have any issue in taking IELTS but it is offered at very few centers in US and if I can avoid IELTS it is better.

Below are my particulars, what is your opinion.

I am a US citizen but was not born in US. I have lived in US for over 15 years and have an MBA from US (my entire education starting at age five (grade one) was done in English). I have worked in management position in US and do consider English to be my first language.

Thanks

../Leo

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
Dear Saturn

If the qualicatoin you obtained is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree then DIMIA will normally allow you at least 15 points, and you will be exempt from having to do the IELTS test.

They do not have to give 20 points, it is their discretion, so I guess that was the point of your question. In general DIMIA are giving 20 points in such a situation to the onshore skilled visa (class 880) applicants. This does not mean they will give the full 20 points for the 136 applicants as well though. And even less likely if the degree is an Computing degree. In general for the 136 they have been giving 15 points for a degree taught in english for our clients.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Jan 4th 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Leo
Steven,

Thanks for the clarification. However, this raised an issue that I may have to address, hopefully earlier the better. I was assuming that I would be 'granted' 20 points. I do not have any issue in taking IELTS but it is offered at very few centers in US and if I can avoid IELTS it is better.

Below are my particulars, what is your opinion.

I am a US citizen but was not born in US. I have lived in US for over 15 years and have an MBA from US (my entire education starting at age five (grade one) was done in English). I have worked in management position in US and do consider English to be my first language.

Thanks

../Leo
Hi Leo,

Thought you had to sit a test and that was that, best of luck anyway and a happy new year,
Old Jan 4th 2003, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

saturn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can I do something like:

I lodge my application at this stage without taking IELTS but claiming 15 points (which I need to get to 115) on the basis of my degree taught in English.

By the time DIMIA starts handling my case I take IELTS just in case if at some stage during processing they ask for it than I shall have it ready.

The reason I am in hurry of lodging my appl. without taking IELTS at this stage is to avoid the risk of points being raised further from 115 or some other regulation tightened in near future.

your openions will be highly appreciated.

-Saturn
Old Jan 5th 2003, 12:59 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Legally, you do not need to submit your IELTS score with your application at the time of lodgement. If DIMIA is dissatisfied with your English proficiency points claimed, you will be asked to submit your IELTS score, which will slow down your application if this happens and you have not already sent DIMIA your IELTS score.

Whether you wish to take your IELTS score later on after you've lodged your DIMIA application is your own decision. Bear in mind that you may end up delaying your application should you be required to present your IELTS score sometime during the processing of your application.

Peter

Can I do something like:

I lodge my application at this stage without taking IELTS but claiming 15 points (which I need to get to 115) on the basis of my degree taught in English.

By the time DIMIA starts handling my case I take IELTS just in case if at some stage during processing they ask for it than I shall have it ready.

The reason I am in hurry of lodging my appl. without taking IELTS at this stage is to avoid the risk of points being raised further from 115 or some other regulation tightened in near future.
Old Jan 5th 2003, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Leo

The way you suggest is perfect

1) Lodge application without IELTS test results claiming eligibility for 20 points because of the degree in english (must show proof) and also state that you have lived/worked in USA for x amount of time.

2) Then after lodgement do the IELTS test anyhow. So that if they ask for it you already have the results. Or in the unlikely event that you do not get at least 6.0 in each of the 4 components you will get at least one more chance to do the test (depending on timing of IELTS request by DIMIA).

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Jan 5th 2003, 5:14 am
sharma

Default ielts Query

Dear friends

i had appeared ielts on March 02 and got 5 ,6 7,8 band res. in mean time i got college certificate for instruction in englis in degree college.

i applied to dimia on sept 02 with college certificate and claimed 20 pts , so oveall pts 120

in nov 02 after reading so many messages i thoight it is better to send ielts result of march 02 to speed up my case . even i may loos 5 pts , still it is have 115 pts.

pl advice

Old Jan 5th 2003, 5:21 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Default Re: ielts Query

If your education was from India, you will most likely be asked for your IELTS scores. In this case, you've already provided DIMIA with your IELTS scores, which will give you 15 points. A letter from an Indian university will most likely be insufficient for any English language points claims.

Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for, though.

You should also be careful when claiming specific work experience points, as many people get caught unaware by the many issues concerning deeming dates, skilled employment and documentation.

Peter

Originally posted by sharma
i had appeared ielts on March 02 and got 5 ,6 7,8 band res. in mean time i got college certificate for instruction in englis in degree college.

i applied to dimia on sept 02 with college certificate and claimed 20 pts , so oveall pts 120

in nov 02 after reading so many messages i thoight it is better to send ielts result of march 02 to speed up my case . even i may loos 5 pts , still it is have 115 pts.

pl advice
Old Jan 5th 2003, 5:43 am
sharma

peter

thank u for response

my doubt is , will dimia ask me questions that even i had ielts in march 02 , i am cliiming pts 20 for english in appli. on basis of college certificate .

do u think so that dimia may ask this question ?

thanku u

Old Jan 5th 2003, 8:00 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by sharma
my doubt is , will dimia ask me questions that even i had ielts in march 02 , i am cliiming pts 20 for english in appli. on basis of college certificate .
If you got a score between 5 (inclusive) to 6 (non-inclusive) for any section for IELTS, and if the score is not more than 1 year old at the time of your application or if it's taken after you've lodged your DIMIA application but before your application is decided, you will get 15 points for English. This is the objective and conclusive method by which DIMIA will judge your English proficiency.

As I've mentioned earlier, an Indian university's letter proclaiming that English was the medium of instruction in your degree course is generally insufficient to even get you IELTS exemption, as most Indian applicants have been told and instructed to take the IELTS test. So, if you have sent in your IELTS score, you will get 15 points. The letter from your Indian university won't get you any mileage insofar as English language points are concerned. In other words, forget about claiming 20 points using your Indian university letter.

Peter
Old Jan 5th 2003, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Peter

I have lodged about 5 visa applications for the onshore permanent visa all in the folloiwng situation ...

The only degree done was in India for these people. (Their Australian qual was just a grad dip which is not taken into account for the IELTS exemption).

For each of these we DID get an exemption from having to do the IELTS test. Initially they awarded 15 points for english. More recently they (DIMIA Adelaide) have been awarding 20 points for english. With the only evidence being a letter from the Indian University stating that the degree wa taught entirely in english.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Jan 5th 2003, 10:14 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
I have lodged about 5 visa applications for the onshore permanent visa all in the folloiwng situation ...
Hi Steven,

Were they offshore or onshore skilled visa applications? Just curious to know, as many Indians subclass 136 applicants have reported that they have been requested to submit their IELTS scores, regarldless of their universities' medium of instruction, with few exceptions.

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.