Is an agent absolutely necessary?

Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:57 am
Sun

Default Is an agent absolutely necessary?

Hi Guys,

Is it necessary to get an agent's help to do the DIMIA application?
Mine would be a straightforward 47sk, skilled independent. Anybody
done it on their own? Is the process very complicated?

thanks..

Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Tarryn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is an agent absolutely necessary?

Hi Sun

My husband and I applied last May - Skilled Independent. My husband is in IT he applied for skills processing to ACS.

We did everything ourselves, read, read and reread instructions on the forms to be sure we hadnt left anything out. Completed the forms, made copies for ourselves and sent them off. We were really thorough with making sure we did everything correctly. Where we were not sure we asked advice, or read up what advice the agents have given on this forum. (Thanks guys, your input is so valuable to us all)

Our app was received in Adelaide in May and we hadnt heard a word until getting our request for Medicals and Police Clearance last week. 9months later. Sheesh, not even a receipt or acknowledgement! BUt now our meds are done & delivered and we just have to sort our Police Clearances out.

From our experience it was fine to do it ourselves based on the fact that my husband had his skills assessed favourably and the application was straight forward - we had enough points etc.

Two sets of friends however (Pilots) had complicated applications and they used an agent - I think this saved them a lot of stress, worry and possible errors in the complicated application they had.

Perhaps others who have used agents can share their experiences?

Still, I am nooooo expert in this thing - just sharing my thoughts / experiences.

At the end of the day you need to make the best choice for your family & circumstances. Whatever you decide, all the very best for your app!

Tarryn
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

madankumars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tarryn
Hi Sun

My husband and I applied last May - Skilled Independent. My husband is in IT he applied for skills processing to ACS.

We did everything ourselves, read, read and reread instructions on the forms to be sure we hadnt left anything out. Completed the forms, made copies for ourselves and sent them off. We were really thorough with making sure we did everything correctly. Where we were not sure we asked advice, or read up what advice the agents have given on this forum. (Thanks guys, your input is so valuable to us all)

Our app was received in Adelaide in May and we hadnt heard a word until getting our request for Medicals and Police Clearance last week. 9months later. Sheesh, not even a receipt or acknowledgement! BUt now our meds are done & delivered and we just have to sort our Police Clearances out.

From our experience it was fine to do it ourselves based on the fact that my husband had his skills assessed favourably and the application was straight forward - we had enough points etc.

Two sets of friends however (Pilots) had complicated applications and they used an agent - I think this saved them a lot of stress, worry and possible errors in the complicated application they had.

Perhaps others who have used agents can share their experiences?

Still, I am nooooo expert in this thing - just sharing my thoughts / experiences.

At the end of the day you need to make the best choice for your family & circumstances. Whatever you decide, all the very best for your app!

Tarryn

I think you'll have to have a very clean application (without any complications) to go through without an agent.

If you forsee any complications it is better to go through via an Agent as they know the nooks -and -corners of the Australian Immigration Law.

Like myself, I had applied for ACS and it got rejected last time(Oct '02), so I want to go through an agent.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 6:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sun
Hi Guys,

thanks..
It depends on how clear cut your case is and how much time you have. Get all the forms together and have a read. You might start to get an idea of what you are in for.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

evila is an unknown quantity at this point

I used an agent and don´t regret it... but there are also a lot of people who have done it themselves.

whish you luck anyway...

Enrique.-

Originally posted by Sun
Hi Guys,

thanks..
Old Feb 17th 2004, 12:44 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We used an agent and wished we hadn't. In fact we got rid of him before the procedure was completed.

Our situation was relatively complicated - in fact the case officer said yesterday it had taken the longest time she had known - but dealing direct with DIMIA proved far quicker than through a third party. Especially when the third party is half a planet away! Communication was just too complicated.

This forum is invaluable in that there is always someone who can answer a particular question: just make sure you confirm the answer several ways to make sure it is right if it is critical. <no offence!>
Old Feb 17th 2004, 2:20 pm
Sdw

My 47sk was straightforward as well, so I was able to do it without an
agent. Like Tarryn, after submitting my application I heard nothing
from DIMIA until they requested my med/pcc request 6 months later.
Once I submitted those, my visa was granted a month later. It is
important to read all instructions/specifications and make sure that
you understand what needs to be included in your application.

[email protected] (sun) wrote in message news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > Is it necessary to get an agent's help to do the DIMIA application?
    > Mine would be a straightforward 47sk, skilled independent. Anybody
    > done it on their own? Is the process very complicated?
    >
    > thanks..

Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

tobidan is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, like tarryn we applied without an agent in May'03 and got medical requests 2 weeks ago. I am in IT also and had no problem with ACS assessment etc.

Like everyone else has said, if your application is straightforward then go for it yourself. There is plenty of information out there, on DIMIA own sites and then other websites, and of course this site which is free access to hundreds of knowledgeable people, much better than paying for one agent :-)

Good Luck

Tobidan