Visa queries

Old Jul 2nd 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

danbri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa queries

Hi,

I'm looking to move out to Melbourne towards the end 2018, with my (Australian) fiancée of 3 years.
I'm a Quantity Surveyor (Contract Administrator in Australia, so far as I can tell) with 4+ years experience, and a Construction Management degree.

Looking at the Visa's, my best option appears to be the "Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)".
However at a cost of $7,000 I am wondering, given my profession, whether the "Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream" is just as viable an option and a more beneficial with half the price at $3,670.

Can anyone advise if there are benefits to the Partner Visa that I have discounted?
Should I just put up with the fact there's an extra cost and go for it?

To complicate matters I am looking at changing my surname before I migrate, this is due to personal reasons (short version - name was changed to that of step-parents when I was young, they're now not part of the family and I would like back my original birth surname).

So long as I get my UK passport, personal (bank, etc.) details, and a deed poll, all ready before I start my Visa application, would anyone foresee this being an issue at all?

My partner actually needs to get her Aussie passport renewed soon, so I'm thinking I may just go with her and see if we can get some advice on these queries.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa queries

Originally Posted by danbri
Hi,

I'm looking to move out to Melbourne towards the end 2018, with my (Australian) fiancée of 3 years.
I'm a Quantity Surveyor (Contract Administrator in Australia, so far as I can tell) with 4+ years experience, and a Construction Management degree.

Looking at the Visa's, my best option appears to be the "Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) and Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100)".
However at a cost of $7,000 I am wondering, given my profession, whether the "Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Points-tested) stream" is just as viable an option and a more beneficial with half the price at $3,670.

Can anyone advise if there are benefits to the Partner Visa that I have discounted?
Should I just put up with the fact there's an extra cost and go for it?

To complicate matters I am looking at changing my surname before I migrate, this is due to personal reasons (short version - name was changed to that of step-parents when I was young, they're now not part of the family and I would like back my original birth surname).

So long as I get my UK passport, personal (bank, etc.) details, and a deed poll, all ready before I start my Visa application, would anyone foresee this being an issue at all?

My partner actually needs to get her Aussie passport renewed soon, so I'm thinking I may just go with her and see if we can get some advice on these queries.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
The Partner Visa may be cheaper in the long run, but don't just look at the visa fee when comparing them, you need to look at the skills assessment, possible IELTS fee etc when adding up the cost of the skills visa. These days its usually much faster to get a 189 grant than to get a Partner Visa grant.

I'm assuming if you apply for the Partner Visa you would be doing it on de facto grounds, and have been cohabiting for at least 12 months?

Regarding the ID change - you will have to declare both names on the application (whichever route you take) and produce legal evidence of the name change. Then ensure that the applciation is done using whichever name is on the passport you are using - the visa name must match the passport name.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 7:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Dan. I'm assuming you're a Brit living in the UK?

I'm an Aussie living in the UK with my Brit husband, just wanted to pick up on your comment re your fiancee renewing her Aussie passport.

I did this a couple of weeks ago, had to travel from Merseyside to London as Australia House only do a few 'outreach' services a year. You won't be able to enter Australia House when your fiancee goes for her interview - it's a security requirement that only those with booked and confirmed appointments are admitted.

Also just wanted to flag with you that no one in Australia House can help you with queries regarding emigrating to Oz. The website of Australia's Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is what you need.

Cheers, and if your fiancee has any questions re the renewal of her passport I'm happy to help.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You won't be able to enter Australia House when your fiancee goes for her interview - it's a security requirement that only those with booked and confirmed appointments are admitted.
Is this a really new thing? My husband (British) and daughter were allowed into Australia house with me when I had my appointment in late February this year. My husband even asked a few questions of which the interviewee happily answered.

Dan - regarding visas. I would go for the Partner if you can. Although the cost is $7k now it's worth it in the long run for reasons Polly has mentioned. Yes it takes a lot of paperwork and will be most likely a bit more difficult for you changing name however definitely worth it in the long run. My husband received a permanent resident partner visa which is great as opposed to temporary.
Old Jul 2nd 2017, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you will get PR from the start with a partner visa I would go 189. Better than the temporary partner visa. Check if you can meet the requirements for PR grant under the partner visa.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 12:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Is this a really new thing? My husband (British) and daughter were allowed into Australia house with me when I had my appointment in late February this year. My husband even asked a few questions of which the interviewee happily answered.

Don't know how new it is, I went 3 weeks ago. The form I filled in online said only the person with the appointment would be admitted, and when I arrived and buzzed the intercom, security could see that my husband was with me and said the same thing. Definitely only people with confirmed appointments admitted.

The website also reminds people that they don't deal with any Australian immigration queries.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jul 3rd 2017 at 12:26 am. Reason: it's 1.30am and the brain's not working
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 4:40 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Unless you will get PR from the start with a partner visa I would go 189. Better than the temporary partner visa. Check if you can meet the requirements for PR grant under the partner visa.
Yep, and as I said its much faster these days to get a 189. Once the cost has been added up for the 189 I don't think there is a lot in it for most professionals, so I would be making my choice based on the speed of the visa issuance these days. Once upon a time Partner Visas were so fast that it was a no-brainer, but these days you can wait well over a year, 189s are much quicker.

However, if they did go for Partner, I'm thinking as they said 3 years as a fiancee, that they might be able to prove three years together, which would mean PR straight away on a Spouse Visa.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know how new it is, I went 3 weeks ago. The form I filled in online said only the person with the appointment would be admitted, and when I arrived and buzzed the intercom, security could see that my husband was with me and said the same thing. Definitely only people with confirmed appointments admitted.

The website also reminds people that they don't deal with any Australian immigration queries.
My husband and daughter are British and didn't have appointments and were welcomed in no questions. All entered security (one by one). Also answered questions happily. Must have been a happy person on for my appt!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 8:27 pm
Concierge

My husband and daughter are British and didn't have appointments and were welcomed in no questions. All entered security (one by one). Also answered questions happily. Must have been a happy person on for my appt!
Security was probably upgraded after the terrorist attacks then. If the same security process had been in place at the time of your appointment and your happy person was found out, he/she would be an unhappy, unemployed person by now!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Australia House hasn't had an immigration counter service for several years now.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Security was probably upgraded after the terrorist attacks then. If the same security process had been in place at the time of your appointment and your happy person was found out, he/she would be an unhappy, unemployed person by now!
I just spoke to a friend in London who just had their child's first passport interview and they let her hubby in also who is British. He didn't ask questions tho, just sat next to with the buggy.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:28 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Australia House hasn't had an immigration counter service for several years now.
Oh for the days of over-the-counter visas granted in 40 minutes........
Old Jul 7th 2017, 6:31 am
Concierge

I just spoke to a friend in London who just had their child's first passport interview and they let her hubby in also who is British. He didn't ask questions tho, just sat next to with the buggy.
I'm a bit shitty now, what's my husband, chopped liver?

I actually thought the level of security was great and I appreciated the thought behind it. Now I'm more of the opinion that it's a shambles, with the procedure seemingly being 'whatever the person who happens to be on duty today feels like'. I'm going to have a word to the (not so?) wise...
Old Jul 8th 2017, 12:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Oh for the days of over-the-counter visas granted in 40 minutes........
Including partner visas if you were willing to pay the premium.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 1:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Including partner visas if you were willing to pay the premium.
Those were the ones I meant - back in the early days of BE there were several of us who got Partner Visas over-the-counter.. Hand over your paperwork, go for a quick walk round the block, come back and pick up passport plus visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.