Aged Parent Visa and Medicare

Old Jul 25th 2019, 10:29 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aged Parent Visa and Medicare

Hi,

Could anybody tell me if a parent on an Aged Parent Visa is entitled to Medicare? Also would they be Medicare on a bridging visa leading up the Aged Parent visa?

Many thanks
Old Jul 25th 2019, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

JessKat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aged Parent Visa and Medicare

Hi, if they’re from a country with a reciprocal agreement then they would be entitled to Medicare but it’s only for emergencies. They would need private health insurance while on the bridging visa. Once the aged parent visa is granted then they would be entitled to full Medicare.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

tavro is an unknown quantity at this point

If I can enlarge on JessKat's reply (which I believe is wholly accurate).

A) Emergency treatments

My understanding is that an "emergency" is just that, eg a leg broken in a fall, a shark attack or snake bite.

I've been told that 'elective' ie self-managed visits to Doctor or Hospital eg for dizzy spells, failing eyesight, hip replacement, arthritis, rheumatism, pregnancy, mental health issues, depression, heart palpitations and all drug prescriptions are almost certainly not covered.

Not surprisingly, the idea behind the reciprocal arrangement is for "dire emergency only" for tourists and temporary residents ie if you can / or could get on a plane for treatment in your home country, then you'll need to do so. (Regardless of how uncomfortable this may be, or whether you can afford it).

IMHO then, almost all treatments for elderly are likely to be excluded from the definition of emergency.

B) Visa Sponsorship <JessKat says...Once the aged parent visa is granted then they would be entitled to full Medicare.>

Yes but. Bear in mind that your visa sponsors will have to pay out first, (as I recall up to $10,000, and up 10 years depending on visa class).

C) Insurance. As a result of the foregoing, full insurance-based medical cover for all conditions including elective medical visits may, for elderly relatives, be quite high eg $5,000 per year per couple + Out -of -pocket expenses. eg $50 per GP visit. etc etc

D) The bridging visa does NOT include Medicare. So a parent will be unprotected for 3-4 years.

yes - UGH!
Old Aug 6th 2019, 2:13 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and thanks for the replies.

This has really cleared it up for me and I think applying for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa, whilst being super expensive is a more secure option for a parent. Also much quicker with 2-4 onshore waiting time.

It sounds like the Aged Parent Visa with it's 25 year waiting list would mean my parent would be on a bridging visa for that time and not adequately covered for any long-term medical issues they may encounter down the track.

Cheers
Old Aug 6th 2019, 3:02 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by drog1998
Hi and thanks for the replies.

This has really cleared it up for me and I think applying for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa, whilst being super expensive is a more secure option for a parent. Also much quicker with 2-4 onshore waiting time.

It sounds like the Aged Parent Visa with it's 25 year waiting list would mean my parent would be on a bridging visa for that time and not adequately covered for any long-term medical issues they may encounter down the track.

Cheers
Hi Drog. This is a huge decision, especially financially! From what you've said it sounds as though the plan was for your parents to arrive in Australia on a tourist/visit visa and then apply on-shore for one of the parent visas, thus moving to a bridging visa until the decision is made? I would really strongly urge you to have see a registered migration agent to clarify your parents' options, it will be a comparatively small cost in the scheme of things. Better to have all the information from the horse's mouth so you and your parents can make the best decision for your circumstances. Best of luck.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tavro
If I can enlarge on JessKat's reply (which I believe is wholly accurate).

A) Emergency treatments

My understanding is that an "emergency" is just that, eg a leg broken in a fall, a shark attack or snake bite.

I've been told that 'elective' ie self-managed visits to Doctor or Hospital eg for dizzy spells, failing eyesight, hip replacement, arthritis, rheumatism, pregnancy, mental health issues, depression, heart palpitations and all drug prescriptions are almost certainly not covered.

Not surprisingly, the idea behind the reciprocal arrangement is for "dire emergency only" for tourists and temporary residents ie if you can / or could get on a plane for treatment in your home country, then you'll need to do so. (Regardless of how uncomfortable this may be, or whether you can afford it).

IMHO then, almost all treatments for elderly are likely to be excluded from the definition of emergency.

B) Visa Sponsorship <JessKat says...Once the aged parent visa is granted then they would be entitled to full Medicare.>

Yes but. Bear in mind that your visa sponsors will have to pay out first, (as I recall up to $10,000, and up 10 years depending on visa class).

C) Insurance. As a result of the foregoing, full insurance-based medical cover for all conditions including elective medical visits may, for elderly relatives, be quite high eg $5,000 per year per couple + Out -of -pocket expenses. eg $50 per GP visit. etc etc

D) The bridging visa does NOT include Medicare. So a parent will be unprotected for 3-4 years.

yes - UGH!
If from a country with reciprocal Medicare agreement, like UK. It isn’t emergency but medically necessary for treatment that is covered. Big difference. If you have a condition or disease that requires immediate treatment you will be covered. If you have a dodgy hip and are in discomfort and could normally be considered for a replacement you won’t be covered as it isn’t life threatening or essential.

medically necessary is a bit of a grey area but there is more information on the gov website.

Some people have mentioned they were given a temporary Medicare card on this bridging visa which is even better than reciprocal.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 8:33 am
Just Joined

tavro is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
1. Rammygirl is right - this is a grey area. And - like the NHS in the UK - subject to the local budgets and dedication (or otherwise) of the healthcare provider. (Oz services can be a bit more business-like, it has to be said.)

2. Beware the apparent lustre of a 'temporary Medicare card' as it may not be what it seems.

My wife and I travel to Oz annually from the UK, for holiday/family visits. And we get to have a temporary Medicare card. We are told it provides no extra benefits. It just means that we don't have to prove our nationality, ie carry a passport, if 'emergency reciprocal treatment' is actually needed. It's a devalued card, with very limited access to services.

From my own detailed f2f conversations with Centrelink advisers, I suspect that there is an infinite range of 'temporary Medicare card' benefits, depending on your visa status, age etc.. So it would be prudent to check carefully for each individual case.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

And Centrelink staff often get it wrong!