Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Age limit to citizenship and limit to number of tourist visas

Age limit to citizenship and limit to number of tourist visas

Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:27 pm
Sydney bound

davoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nice
Default Age limit to citizenship and limit to number of tourist visas

My wife and I lived in Sydney for nearly 2 years (on a 457) and came back to the UK in 2012, to start a family and make use of a bigger support network amongst other things.

Almost 5 years down the line, 2 has become 4 and we’ve never really lost the urge to return to Australia. So we are now planning how we go about making that happen, with the aim being to make the move in early 2018 when we will be 37, 36, 2 ½ and 1 respectively.

To my knowledge, neither of us would qualify for a skilled visa – I used to be a lawyer and my wife is CTA qualified but that’s not yet recognised in the same way as the pure accountancy qualifications. The plan is therefore to get an offer with 457 sponsorship, which is quite common in my line of work. Appreciate this isn’t ideal given the temporary status it provides, but would give us a route back and the chance to secure PR beyond 2 years.

Couple of questions from me:

1. Providing things go to plan and I secure a 457 through an employer and subsequently PR after 2 years, is there an age limit to then obtaining citizenship?
2. My parents are both retired and would likely spend a decent amount of time with us. I have noted the developments around the temp parent visa, but in the meantime is there a limit to how many tourist visas they would be able to obtain in any given year? For example, could they spend 3 months with us, then head back to the UK for 3 months and then back to Aus for another 3 months?

Thanks

Alex
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:31 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Age limit to citizenship and limit to number of tourist visas

Originally Posted by davoaj
neither of us would qualify for a skilled visa – .............the chance to secure PR beyond 2 years.
If you don't qualify for a skilled visa now, will 2 years on a 457 help you? You might still not qualify in 2 years.

could they spend 3 months with us, then head back to the UK for 3 months and then back to Aus for another 3 months?
Yes. They could also leave Australia for a few days in New Zealand and then return for another 3 months.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:37 pm
Sydney bound

davoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nicedavoaj is just really nice
Default Re: Age limit to citizenship and limit to number of tourist visas

On the PR side, the key is that by going down the 457 route you then don't need to complete a skills assessment when you eventually apply for PR. So as long as the job you are doing is on the consolidated list, you'll be fine and it has to be in order to get the 457 in the first place.

That's my understanding of the position anyway.

Thanks for clarifying re the tourist visa, hadn't appreciated that you could leave for just a few days. Surely there must come a point where Immi would put a stop to you if you keep on returning on a tourist visa?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

On the PR side, the key is that by going down the 457 route you then don't need to complete a skills assessment when you eventually apply for PR. So as long as the job you are doing is on the consolidated list, you'll be fine and it has to be in order to get the 457 in the first place.

That's my understanding of the position anyway.

Thanks for clarifying re the tourist visa, hadn't appreciated that you could leave for just a few days. Surely there must come a point where Immi would put a stop to you if you keep on returning on a tourist visa?
Hi. I thought that for a 457, your job had to be on the CSOL and you needed a successful skills assessment? Hope I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will speak up if I am https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

be really careful on that one

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/600-
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

1. Providing things go to plan and I secure a 457 through an employer and subsequently PR after 2 years, is there an age limit to then obtaining citizenship?
There is no age limit relating to citizenship.
2. My parents are both retired and would likely spend a decent amount of time with us. I have noted the developments around the temp parent visa, but in the meantime is there a limit to how many tourist visas they would be able to obtain in any given year? For example, could they spend 3 months with us, then head back to the UK for 3 months and then back to Aus for another 3 months?
One of the criteria within the visitor visa options is that they must be a genuine visitor and where someone is repeatedly going offshore for a short period and returning Genuiness can be questioned. There is talk of a new visa for parents later this year allowing stays of between 1, 3 and 5 years depending upon the circumstances.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi. I thought that for a 457, your job had to be on the CSOL and you needed a successful skills assessment? Hope I'm wrong and I'm sure someone will speak up if I am https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-
Not all 457 positions require a skills assessment, depends on the job.

And although many people can and do then go for a 186 from a 457 after two years, thus getting PR without a skills assessment, there is no guarantee of this being a route to PR. It requires the employer to meet the criteria to sponsor for PR as well as the employee meeting their own requirements. If the job isn't available or approved, or if the employer changes their mind and won't sponsor, PR by this route is dead in the water and you are back to looking at skills assessments and applying without sponsorship.
It can work but there its risky and many people have done the two years only to find their employer will not take it further.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 5:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not all 457 positions require a skills assessment, depends on the job.
Thanks Polly
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:45 am
Sydney bound

Originally Posted by TeeTMI
There is no age limit relating to citizenship.
Thank you!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:48 am
Sydney bound

As Polly said, not all 457's require a skills assessment and I know from personal experience that the roles I will be looking at do not, from personal experience and the fact that they are regularly advertised with sponsorship available.

As for the transition to PR, appreciate nothing is certain but if PR is not an option from the outset then you have to consider what your best alternative is, and for me/us I think it's going down the 457 route.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is important you understand that there is no guarantee of getting PR from a 457. Far from it. Regulations change all the time. The lists change every year and if you are reliant on the company sponsoring PR, then you will find the forums littered with posts from people who were promised it and some even had it in their contracts, but whose employer simply refuses.

If you opt for a 457, then you should do it in the assumption that you will be returning at the end.

You also need to be aware there is no childcare assistance for 457 holders, no social security / state assistance and many states charge holders for education
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:51 am
Sydney bound

Thanks verystormy, appreciate it's no guarantee.

However, unless someone thinks otherwise I reckon 457 is probably our best/only route back. On the employer side, the same could be said of many things where you're reliant on a third party to hold up their end of the bargain.

Agree that the temp status a 457 gives you is not ideal with young children from a benefit/childcare/education perspective - but we would not be going over expecting any of that support and have budgeted for not having it.

Good chat last night with Mrs Davoaj, we've decided we definitely want to make the move happen this time next year.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you don't qualify for a skilled visa?

As you are I assume aware, a 457 still has to have an occupation on at least the CSOL and although you may not need a skills assessment, the department are these days scrutinising applicants for 457 with regards their qualifications and experience. So, almost a skills assessment. Have you checked if any states are sponsoring?
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:31 am
Sydney bound

That's a good point, it's been over 6 years since I switched careers now and last time I looked at the requirements was probably a couple of years ago.

Will check it out and see what the requirements are for my occupation.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 11:03 am
Sydney bound

Have had a look this morning, closest description to my occupation is sales and marketing manager, which only appears on the CSOL.

Am I right in thinking this would rule out anything other than an employer nominated (186) visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.