British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Advice for Working permit company sponsorship for UK citizens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/advice-working-permit-company-sponsorship-uk-citizens-944735/)

JW95 Jul 14th 2022 10:00 am

Advice for Working permit company sponsorship for UK citizens

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I am a UK-based resident with a British passport, actively looking for work with the HR field in WA (although I would be open to exploring other states in Australia as well). I have recently completed my Postgraduate studies at the University of Exeter in International HRM with a Distinction, as well as being formally nominated to receive the Dean's Commendation for Academic excellence. As well as this, I have also just completed a 3-month internship period with an HR recruitment agency and consultancy firm in Indonesia.

From what I have seen, I would ideally need to get company sponsorship in order to secure my working visa/permit. Does anyone know how difficult this would be in practice? (Most of the companies that I have seen advertising jobs in the HR field thus far seem to be open exclusively to Australian applicants only, or are unwilling to sponsor working permits for international applicants). The other option I've seen would be to apply for a working holiday visa, which seems relatively straight forward. However, I am apprehensive of how this would look from the perspective of a future employer, given that I am in my late 20s?

Any advice appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Pollyana Jul 14th 2022 5:12 pm

Re: Advice for Working permit company sponsorship for UK citizens

Originally Posted by JW95 (Post 13128707)
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I am a UK-based resident with a British passport, actively looking for work with the HR field in WA (although I would be open to exploring other states in Australia as well). I have recently completed my Postgraduate studies at the University of Exeter in International HRM with a Distinction, as well as being formally nominated to receive the Dean's Commendation for Academic excellence. As well as this, I have also just completed a 3-month internship period with an HR recruitment agency and consultancy firm in Indonesia.

From what I have seen, I would ideally need to get company sponsorship in order to secure my working visa/permit. Does anyone know how difficult this would be in practice? (Most of the companies that I have seen advertising jobs in the HR field thus far seem to be open exclusively to Australian applicants only, or are unwilling to sponsor working permits for international applicants). The other option I've seen would be to apply for a working holiday visa, which seems relatively straight forward. However, I am apprehensive of how this would look from the perspective of a future employer, given that I am in my late 20s?

Any advice appreciated, many thanks in advance!

I know nothing about your field at all, but have you looked into whether you qualify for a 189 or 190? 190 is State Sponsored, not employer, and a 189 is not sponsored at all, its a skilled independent visa, and gives you permanent residency straight away. The majority of employer sponsored visas are temporary or provisional, leaving you with other hoops to jump through before you can go for PR. Some do not even have a viable pathway to PR.

Mighht be worth an initial chat with a registered migration agent

And just for clarity - its all visas here, not "work permits". :)

verystormy Jul 15th 2022 4:45 am

Do you have any actual work experience in the role?

JW95 Jul 15th 2022 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13128848)
I know nothing about your field at all, but have you looked into whether you qualify for a 189 or 190? 190 is State Sponsored, not employer, and a 189 is not sponsored at all, its a skilled independent visa, and gives you permanent residency straight away. The majority of employer sponsored visas are temporary or provisional, leaving you with other hoops to jump through before you can go for PR. Some do not even have a viable pathway to PR.

Mighht be worth an initial chat with a registered migration agent

And just for clarity - its all visas here, not "work permits". :)

Thanks very much for this! I will certainly take a look into the 189 and 190 that you mentioned :)

JW95 Jul 15th 2022 7:44 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13128946)
Do you have any actual work experience in the role?

Currently, I've got 3 months experience through the internship that I've just completed, but nothing beyond that as yet, as I'm also recently graduated in my MA.

verystormy Jul 16th 2022 4:33 am

You will need a few years experience in order to pass a skills assessment

JW95 Jul 16th 2022 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13129142)
You will need a few years experience in order to pass a skills assessment

Understandable, and well-noted :)

I'm also wondering whether it is advisable for me to apply for a working holiday visa to start with, apply for HR work, and then hopefully transition to a full working visa, provided I can obtain sponsorship? Some people have mentioned the idea RE. the working holiday visa to me as a starting point, but I'm unsure whether this will look from the perspective of an employer/company further down the line?

quoll Jul 17th 2022 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by JW95 (Post 13129204)
Understandable, and well-noted :)

I'm also wondering whether it is advisable for me to apply for a working holiday visa to start with, apply for HR work, and then hopefully transition to a full working visa, provided I can obtain sponsorship? Some people have mentioned the idea RE. the working holiday visa to me as a starting point, but I'm unsure whether this will look from the perspective of an employer/company further down the line?

You can only work for an employer for 6 months as a WHV holder so whether anyone would want a HR person for a short term is debatable cos once they’ve trained you for their requirements you’d be moving on. WHV holders usually don’t get career relevant work because they can’t offer the continuity. And you’d only be in country for a year anyway unless you go and do your rural or remote work.