British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Advice on a Visa for my aged parent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/advice-visa-my-aged-parent-921531/)

drog1998 Jan 29th 2019 12:38 am

Advice on a Visa for my aged parent

Hello,

I'm trying to get my head around what Visa would be good for my aged mother.

I'm now an Australian Citizen (10 years now :) and i'm looking to bring my 73 year old mother out from the UK to live permanently with my wife and kids. I am also her sole relative.

Could somebody tell me the best visa to apply for what options I have?

From what i've read the Contributory Parent Visa is around $50,000 with a 2 year wait.

How do the other visas fair such as the Remaining Relative(835) Visa?

Thanks in advance for any help.

rammygirl Jan 29th 2019 5:39 am

Re: Advice on a Visa for my aged parent

You can’t use a remaining relative visa to bring a parent. The options are the contributory and non contributory parent visas.

verystormy Jan 29th 2019 6:01 am

The contributory visa wil likely take at least five years. The none contributory about 30 years.

spouse of scouse Jan 29th 2019 10:18 am

Is it possible for the OP's mother to apply onshore as a visitor, and then have a bridging visa until her parent visa is processed?

TeeTMI Jan 29th 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12629073)
Is it possible for the OP's mother to apply onshore as a visitor, and then have a bridging visa until her parent visa is processed?

If the OPs mother was in Australia, assuming her visa permitted her to do so, if she decided that she would like to lodge one of the onshore parent visa options (Contributory or Non-contributory) then a bridging visa would be available.
The processing times of the Contributory visa have been increasing over the last couple of years (Currently processing 143 from July 2015, and 864 from Nov 2016).

If you are looking for professional assistance with the application please feel free to contact me I would be happy to provide a quote.

artep Feb 15th 2019 4:30 am

Hello, it’s a long time since I posted anything but saw this thread and I just had a quick question. Could my parents apply for a contributory parent visa whilst onshore on a holiday visa and then remain here until the visa is granted? With this visa would they be able to get Medicare while they wait for it to be granted? Sorry for so many questions, but thanks in advance