Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Advice on temporary & permanent visas please!!

Wikiposts

Advice on temporary & permanent visas please!!

Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:48 am
Just Joined

jsc77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on temporary & permanent visas please!!

Hi,

My wife, children and I are hoping to move to Australia from the UK in the next 1-2 years, and were hoping some of you may be able to help with some advice and answers to our queries.
We have 3 children currently aged 4, 2 and 2 months. I am a chartered accountant, with 4 years experience in external audit and industry.
We are hoping to go to Melbourne or Sydney.

We have previously always planned to go on a temporary visa initially, and then make this permanent if we decide to stay. Recently, however, we have started to think about applying for permanent residency.

Can anyone help answer the following questions?

1) I have had a chat with someone at VisaBureau who has advised that the total cost of applying for permanent residency would be £4-5k. Does this sound reasonable?
2) What are the benefits of using an agent, and can it realistically be done without one?
3) Is it any easier or cheaper to apply for permanent residency when in Australia on a temporary visa?
4) What are the financial differences when in Australia between being temp/perm? I have read that as a temp we would have to pay for schooling, but can find little on the average cost of this, can anyone advise?
5) I have also read that we may be able to get LAFHA if temp. How does this work and how does it compare to any state benefits such as childcare we may get if perm?
6) Is it true that you cannot buy a property if you are a temp resident? Also, I have heard that all first time buyers get $7k grant. Does this apply to those with perm residency, or just to those with citizenship?

Apologies for all the questions!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:57 am
Banned

peterh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on temporary & permanent visas please!!

It is a complete minefield. If you have a family and want to immigrate either for TR or PR it is:

bloody expensive!
a lot of hassle!!!!!
you get little help without having to pay someone
the uk will wash their hands of you
the aussies wont accept you

Leave it to the singles and couples - to try and intergrate professionally here it bloody difficult and you will have to be very lucky to get it right.

..but you will have good time on the beaches ;-)
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Please note the Peterh seems to have had a really hard time of it and his experience is not everyones.

I am sure some other views will come along as well for you to get a balanced optionion.

In a nutshell if you can get PR then do so. Otherwise be aware of the costs and risks of you decide temp is worth the chance.

We did and it got us the extra points we needed to apply for PR. Also an employer may be found when here for their sponsorship that wouldn't entertain you if you were still back in the uk. BUT it is a long uncertain game.

Last edited by Safin; Feb 12th 2009 at 10:12 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

my answers in red

Originally Posted by jsc77
Hi,

My wife, children and I are hoping to move to Australia from the UK in the next 1-2 years, and were hoping some of you may be able to help with some advice and answers to our queries.
We have 3 children currently aged 4, 2 and 2 months. I am a chartered accountant, with 4 years experience in external audit and industry.

We have previously always planned to go on a temporary visa initially, and then make this permanent if we decide to stay. Recently, however, we have started to think about applying for permanent residency.

1) I have had a chat with someone at VisaBureau who has advised that the total cost of applying for permanent residency would be £4-5k. Does this sound reasonable? depends on what your skills assessment costs. PR visa about £1k, medicals around £4-500, police checks £100, (Agent £2-3k)
2) What are the benefits of using an agent, and can it realistically be done without one? Depends on your mindset. Lots do it both ways. many threads to search on here that give both sides of the argument. If you have a complex case then I'd opt for agent, otherwise DIY
3) Is it any easier or cheaper to apply for permanent residency when in Australia on a temporary visa? Easier to get an employer to sponsor you, the waiting is done here not there! - you feel like you have something real to lose if it fails not just a dream
4) What are the financial differences when in Australia between being temp/perm? I have read that as a temp we would have to pay for schooling, but can find little on the average cost of this, can anyone advise? Schooling depends on what state, no child benefit, if from uk you get reciprocal healthcare for necessary treatment. But you do get LAFHA and UK income (eg rental property) isn't assessed by AUs so you get two personal allowances not just the aus one
5) I have also read that we may be able to get LAFHA if temp. How does this work and how does it compare to any state benefits such as childcare we may get if perm? LAFHA is agreed and adminsitered by the employer but doesn't actually cost them. It allows you around $500-800 a week of your pay tax free.
6) Is it true that you cannot buy a property if you are a temp resident? Also, I have heard that all first time buyers get $7k grant. Does this apply to those with perm residency, or just to those with citizenship? You can buy but have to get permission first from FIRB. The grant requires you to be PR to claim it. You can claim for a year after the purchase so temp can take a chance and claim later if they get PR in time - at least thats the answer i got about temp residents when I asked grant people.

Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

1) I have had a chat with someone at VisaBureau who has advised that the total cost of applying for permanent residency would be £4-5k. Does this sound reasonable?
Yes, this sounds reasonable if it includes the cost of the visa and the agent fees.

2) What are the benefits of using an agent, and can it realistically be done without one?
Benefits of using an agent are that they will ensure you put forth the most complete application possible. Also if you have a complicated case such as step children or criminal convictions an agent may be able to advise best on which way to go. It can be done without an agent if your case is straightforward and plenty of us here are proof of that. We applied for our visa without an agent and really for us it was just a matter of reading and more reading/research before sending anything to DIAC.
3) Is it any easier or cheaper to apply for permanent residency when in Australia on a temporary visa?
Not easier or cheaper, but just a different way of going.
4) What are the financial differences when in Australia between being temp/perm? I have read that as a temp we would have to pay for schooling, but can find little on the average cost of this, can anyone advise?
Financial benefits include Centrelink help such as rent and childcare assistance, family payments and after 2 years in the country as a PR you are eligible for general Centrelink payments such as unemployment benefit, etc. Some states charge international school fees for children here on temporary visas. Take a look at the state department of education sites for NSW and Vic.
5) I have also read that we may be able to get LAFHA if temp. How does this work and how does it compare to any state benefits such as childcare we may get if perm?
I don't know much about LAFHA, but from what I understand it is an allowance for working away from your home. It really depends on whether your employer wants to apply for it for you and whether you can even get an employer to sponsor you.
6) Is it true that you cannot buy a property if you are a temp resident? Also, I have heard that all first time buyers get $7k grant. Does this apply to those with perm residency, or just to those with citizenship?
You can buy property on a temp visa, however you will need FIRB approval. The First Homeowner's Grant is not applicable to temp residents, but on PR it is. At the moment the grant is higher, but it is set to go back to $7000 at the end of June.

My answers above in blue.

There are other benefits of applying for permanent residence in my opinion. There is the certainty that if you lose your job you won't be forced to either find another one or leave the country in 28 days. You are entitled to free/low cost state education for your children, you are entitled to full Medicare coverage and not just reciprocal, you will be eligible to apply for citizenship in 4 years - you can keep your UK citizenship, too.

You don't have to stay if you're unhappy here on a permanent resident visa. However if you are really happy here on a temp one there is no guarentee that you can stay. My best advice is if you are eligible for PR that's the visa to apply for. At the top of this page is a wiki link to restrictions on a 457. Take a read of that along with www.immi.gov.au booklet 6.

If you have any other questions ask away! Oh, and as Safin says, bear in mind that not everyone has had it as easy as others and their answers may be a tad jaded.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...28Australia%29

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/How_to...k_in_Australia