Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Advice plz - job offered then revoked, options

Advice plz - job offered then revoked, options

Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice
Default Advice plz - job offered then revoked, options

Hi all,

looking for advice plz. We applied for a job with WA dep of corrective services down in Esperance. They are able to offer sponsorship to international applicants for fixed term contracts only, we were advised that if we seen a permanent job we thought suited us then to include a covering letter stating if we were successful the job would have to be offered on F/T, we done this and applied for a prevention and diversion officer for youths. Anyhow cut a long story short after nearly 5 months of interviews, police checks and refrences we were offered the post by the branch, only to have their HR dep in Perth revoke it the very next day saying they cant change it from permanent to fixed term! i cant explain how devestated we were, we went from a massive high to an awful low all in 24 hours, the explanation from head office was basically like we didnt matter and it was just a departmental error that should of been picked up at the initial application stage, we are totally gutted. I have emailed xxxxxx <<snipped by Mod>>> at WA to see if they can help and to just express our complete disbelief at the whole situation. We are fully assessed, a young family ready to migrate to a regional area with a job offer, yet its basic red tape stopping it.
If we get no joy with this which we dont expect to be honest we will have to wait to see if we are on any SMP, if not we have one option left which is this and would like some advice please, two agents and the majority of employers we have called have all told us get yourself to oz on any kind of work visa and once your here your hubby will be far more employable and stand a higher chance of obtaining employer sponsorship, theonly way to do this is the student visa i will study hubby will try and secure ENS. We are too old for WHV and also have our 4 yr daughter, we know this is risky but am just looking for some advice our heads are so confused now, (hubby is assessed as youth worker)
many thanks
kelly

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 29th 2010 at 12:31 pm. Reason: please don't include employees names, respect their privacy
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice plz - job offered then revoked, options

I don't understand, why don't you go for permanent role if that is what they are offering?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't understand, why don't you go for permanent role if that is what they are offering?
Because they can only sponsor people in their company on fixed term contracts.

I had the same thing sort of, but mine was an immigration problem which led to the job falling through. Very upsetting.

The student visa route did work for me to get here and find a sponsor, although that also didn't work out in the end (because of more immigration problems).

Just remember that on a student visa he will only be able to work for 20 hours a week! I managed to find a job in my field for that many hours (as my job was so in demand), but many won't.

Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Because they can only sponsor people in their company on fixed term contracts.
They can sponsor for a permanent job with a permanent visa. Whether they want to or not (or whether there is eligibility for a permanent visa) is another question,